• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mguide

Mguide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:42 AM

I’m installing a Victron BMV-712 in my 18 hawk. I’m thinking it will go next to the thermostat.
What is the best way to get the wires in place? I’m assuming the path follows the other wires going through the small panel.
What is the best sealant? I’m not sure what the black rubbery stuff is that FWC use.
Any other tricks to this install?

Many thanks

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:58 AM

Where are you thinking you need sealant?  Rubbery stuff is probably Butyl rubber or possibly a plumbers putty.

#3 Dirtroadsavant

Dirtroadsavant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:49 AM

Mine went in a few weeks ago. What a great addition! Since I am planning to use the Bluetooth interface with my phone for all purposes, I simply mounted everything inside the battery cabinet. That way, I can access the Victron itself if needed and not drill holes, run wires, or add another glowing digital readout to the camper’s interior.

Edited by Dirtroadsavant, 07 May 2019 - 01:02 PM.

Flatbed Hawk on a Norweld Tray on an F350 Supercab Gas. All 2017.

#4 Herve

Herve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 06:01 AM

It's true that it's not really needed to see the victron itself, I use the Bluetooth interface most of the time. But it's nice to glance at the voltage casually once in a while, I probably wouldn't open my phone for that as often. The screen is not bright at all.

I had a panel custom made that I love, with the victron and 4 USB plugs :)

Picture:

https://mega.nz/#!GG...GD3M71n-zpDbazI

(I can't attach pictures here anymore???)

#5 Norsman

Norsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 02:55 PM

Installed mine last weekend in the battery compartment. So nice to see how many hours you have left before damaging the battery. I was surprised to see that I can pretty much run anything I want all night and not even get close to 50% of my amp hours.

i-g8K8FKK-L.jpg

i-tM6BCKd-L.jpg

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:38 PM

The images don't appear just the text.  I don't get how this happens for some people's posted images.  And your random fwc pics post has the same.

Suggestions?

Installed mine last weekend in the battery compartment. So nice to see how many hours you have left before damaging the battery. I was surprised to see that I can pretty much run anything I want all night and not even get close to 50% of my amp hours.

i-g8K8FKK-L.jpg

i-tM6BCKd-L.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:58 PM

It's true that it's not really needed to see the victron itself, I use the Bluetooth interface most of the time. But it's nice to glance at the voltage casually once in a while, I probably wouldn't open my phone for that as often. The screen is not bright at all.

I had a panel custom made that I love, with the victron and 4 USB plugs :)

Picture:

https://mega.nz/#!GG...GD3M71n-zpDbazI

(I can't attach pictures here anymore???)

Nice panel!

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

My batteries are under the roll over back couch in our 2017 FWC Keystone. 

I ran the BVM-702 wired connection to the shunt on the batteries around the front of the camper under the couch and lift up storage area that is under the front window then over to the cabinet holding the OEM battery/Water monitor panel.  I used a hole saw and cut a 2-1/8" dia hole in the cabinet and mounted the BVM-702 display next to the OEM panel. 

I used velcro to attach the bluetooth dongle to the back side of the cabinet face near the bottom edge (the bottom edge of our cabinets are open - if you lay on the floor you can look up behind the cabinet face).  It is easy to reach up and retrieve the dongle if needed.

The bezel on the rear of the BVM display unscrews. With the rear bezel removed I slid the display body into the hole I cut in the cabinet (I recall a diagram for the hole size came with the display). The flange on the display body allows flush mounting to the cabinet.  I screwed the rear bezel on capturing the the display bodyagainst the cabinet face. 

P.S. The BVM-702 predates the BVM-712 and does not have built in bluetooth but bluetooth can be added with an optional plug in "dongle" otherwise it is identical to the BVM-712.

IMG 7188

Edited by ckent323, 08 May 2019 - 04:50 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 pollux

pollux

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:31 PM

I need to cut the wire to the monitor because it is too long for my camper.

My question is what type of connector it is?

I notice it is not ethernet or telephone connectors. 

Edited by pollux, 08 May 2019 - 05:31 PM.

2015 FWC Eagle, 2016 Tacoma 4wd

#10 Norsman

Norsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:51 AM

The images don't appear just the text. I don't get how this happens for some people's posted images. And your random fwc pics post has the same.

Suggestions?

IMG_0155.jpg

There must be some fancy trick to sharing pics. Most pics are rejected when I try to attach and when I insert a link I can see it and it later goes grey... oh well. The pic above may be the only one I ever post.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Victron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users