• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:57 PM

I was closely looking at a used 2010 Caribou Outfitter 6.5  I have a Ford F150 XLT 2014 4x4.  Couple of things I noticed that this forum may help me with.  I was going to close on it but these things held me up (in addition to the dealer throwing a fit and becoming extremely unprofessional when I raised these questions).

1.  Camper jack width- this could have been imagination but there seemed to be maybe 2 inches of clearance beyond my wheel wells with the jacks.  It seemed like a VERY tight fit, the dealer balked when I raised the question, but on further research looks like jack extenders would help. Anyone with any experience with these?

2.  Base- So the area underneath the main frame (the box if you will, don't know what they officially call it), was not covered in fiberglass.  It was completely exposed wood (but looked like it had been treated in the past).  Is this normal?  This seemed to be like a recipe for disaster if any moisture got in your truck bed.

Thanks,

Luke

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#2 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:26 PM

Just to chime in on #2

Most wood bottoms/tubs are not fiberglassed because the builders assume some water WILL be getting in there and if it's glassed it can't get out. It's probably a good idea not to glass it. Water destroys particle board very quickly but good plywood can withstand quite a few soakings. And, with plywood, it's the rot that feeds on damp wood that causes the damage. I don't know how your camper is built but unless they have a reputation for the tubs rotting out they probably don't. Your truck's bed should drain but if it doesn't I would add drains just to make sure your camper is never in standing water but really your camper is covering the bed so why would it fill with water. I think ATC's and FWD's are built this same way.

If the wood is actually particle board I would run.

Edited by roverjohn, 13 May 2019 - 08:27 PM.

#3 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 13 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

Thanks John.  That makes sense.  It was my first time inspecting one of these in person and I was wondering what was standard.  

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#4 nobueno

nobueno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:07 PM

Re camper jack width. Yep, our outfitter is very tight but so is the space between the wheel wells where the base sits so you can't be off by all that much anyway. You get used to it after a few loads/unloads. 

The wood base is made with marine grade plywood. Ours still looks basically brand new after a few years. Like john said the truck beds have drains and your camper is covering it when on. We've driven through tons of rain and snow with no worries. 

#5 dgknows

dgknows

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationsan jose bay area

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:43 PM

The Outfitter 6.5 is on my short list to. I have a Tacoma and they build them a little smaller to fit. Actually considering going back to a f150.
For all you get looks great for the price.
Want a little more luxury than the FWC. And not doing any real off-roading. Dirt or gravel at the most

Edited by dgknows, 31 August 2019 - 09:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users