#1 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:18 PM

I know the site is dedicated to pop-up campers, but thought this might be applicable here anyways since FWC owned Sixpac for awhile.

Any info on six-pac campers?  Were they metal framed just like the FWC campers?  Thoughts?

I keep thinking a hardsided shell with preferably metal framing would suit my needs the best.  The six pac campers I have seen seem to be simple little campers.

Kevin

#2 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:33 PM

Hopefully someone with direct experience with a Six-Pac camper will comment.  In the meantime....

Some interesting background info from 2007 --->  Truck Camper Magazine article: Four Wheel, Six Pac, and One Man

Also: I recently ran onto this ---> There's still a Six-Pac web site with manuals and contact info (as of today)

Edited by Old Crow, 14 May 2019 - 11:21 AM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,574 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:38 PM

I know the site is dedicated to pop-up campers, but thought this might be applicable here anyways since FWC owned Sixpac for awhile.

Any info on six-pac campers?  Were they metal framed just like the FWC campers?  Thoughts?

I keep thinking a hardsided shell with preferably metal framing would suit my needs the best.  The six pac campers I have seen seem to be simple little campers.

Kevin

Kevin, we are dedicated to wandering the west in any manner, not just pop-up campers. Granted there is a member emphasis on the pop up world, but anything goes in campering...

I am haunted by waters

#4 jrwdlw

jrwdlw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

Kevin,

I just bought a 2006 Lance 805. I'm not sure about the walls, but the roof is a 1" thick, aluminum framed, foam core, 1/8 plywood on both sides, glued "sandwich".  It's a walk on roof, and feels very solid (I'm just shy of 190 lbs).  It's a very simple and light camper.  No bath, 86" wide, 98" long floor.  Dry weight, no options, is stated to be 1265 lbs.  If you find one near by, you might take a look.

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

There have been several posts about Six Pac campers here on WTW over the years.

Let's see if I can post a search for them....

Google search of WTW for the term 'Six-Pac'

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

I've got a Tradesman Shell now after selling my Finch. So far it is doing what I bought it for. Definitely miss some aspects of my pop-up. Tradesman does make just about anything you ask them to and are metal framed aluminum skinned toppers.

20190105_165404-jpg.3152615

20180723_103007-jpg.2820278

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#7 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

Thanks for the replies!

I actually went and looked at a Six-Pac camper this weekend.  The price was right, but the condition was not.  Sadly it was just too old.  It seemed solid, but being 30yrs old none of it made me want to spend any money on it.  I think what I'm looking for and my budget currently are not going to line up.  I either need to figure out how to increase my budget to get what I want, or start building what I want.

Oddly, spending a chunk of change and buying a new shell model doesn't seem as bad now.

Kevin

#8 Cas

Cas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

Hey Kevin, I’ve got a 2007 Six-Pac S650, built after FWC bought them out. It was built at the Riverside factory, just down the road from me. I’ve always thought of Six-Pac’s and Callen Campers as THE SoCal campers. Getting to own one now is a treat. The frame is wood, our particular model has no bathroom. Very basic, spartan little camper and perfect for my wife and I. MASSIVE king sized cabover, in fact we rarely fuss with leveling out the truck, we just move our pillows to the high side of the bed as you can sleep N/S or E/W.

#9 dashboardburrito

dashboardburrito

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationMontrose, CO

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:19 AM

The first camper my wife and I had was a 2006 Six Pac 650S.  We had it on a Chevy 1500. It was a great unit and we used the heck out of it. The camper was in excellent condition when we got it- had a great heater, hot water, outside shower, stove, ice box for a fridge which we removed to use for storage. 

We used it year round. We made reflect-tex window coverings and pretty much put reflect-tex all over the thing. For winter ski trips we used a honda 2000 generator to power in inside oil heater, mattress pad heater, ski boot driers... 

The truck was kind of a looser, so we ended up selling it and eventually the camper too. Funny now, I'm actually kind of looking for a Six Pac T100s to put on my first-generation tundra. We currently have a 2006 Northstar TC700- which is good, but we may go back to a hard side....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users