209 replies to this topic

#101 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:57 PM

I see what you mean - that would be concerning. Maybe an extra leg centered opposite the 2 hinges to take the pressure off the hinge. You could use another folding hinge attached to a piece of 1x1 stock. Good luck!

OK, I think I figured this out.  First I tried to use a cheap caribiner to keep the supports from bowing out.

keep the supports from bowing

That didn't work so well, as with the supports actually narrowing more than they were supposed to, there were no opposing forces so both supports bent in the same direction (staying parallel) and losing even more rigidity.  No pic of that, sorry.

So I contemplated some kind of supports for the seats, like Ronin suggested above.  I couldn't see how to do that without making the seats unable to fold away flush.  

OK, so how to make them stronger?  I pondered putting a chunk of wood between them, but found a section of C-channel that fit around them instead.  Here is one in place:

c-channel in place

With it in place, there is no way for the supports to bow out, and the C-channel fit snug, but not so much that the supports bend inward either.  Here is are a few pics of the shape I cut, and the size I used:

c-channel 1

c-channel 2

c-channel size

#102 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:58 PM

Also, while I was crawling under the seats, I again noticed the really nice matching woodgrain in the afternoon light.  Its no Goodall Guitar, but I kinda like it!

nice wood grain matching

#103 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:35 AM

Vic, 

Well call me ignorant. I have seen your reference to your "Puma" build, but never found it. Doh, I have only looking in the FWC section. I never thought to look in the ATC section. You have opened a whole new world for me to explore looking for more crazy people who build a camper rather than buy one! I will be spending some of my Covid-19 time reviewing your build from the start. I was searching cabinet / storage ideas when I stumbled upon your build. I am impressed with what you have done and the thought you have put into it. 

Boonie

#104 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 02:42 AM

Vic, 

Well call me ignorant. I have seen your reference to your "Puma" build, but never found it. Doh, I have only looking in the FWC section. I never thought to look in the ATC section. You have opened a whole new world for me to explore looking for more crazy people who build a camper rather than buy one! I will be spending some of my Covid-19 time reviewing your build from the start. I was searching cabinet / storage ideas when I stumbled upon your build. I am impressed with what you have done and the thought you have put into it. 

Boonie

I'd rather not call you ignorant...  :D

Thanks for the kind words.  Please do make comments and ask questions.  I am hoping to learn even more

#105 Boonie

Boonie

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Colorado

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:41 AM

Vic,  

Which cabinet latch did you use?

Also have to considered adding one of these to your rear upper Pax cabinet?

DSCN0109resize.JPG

This relates to my Pee-on-a-tree discussion in my post. Sorry. TMI?

Boonie

#106 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 05:59 AM

Vic,  

Which cabinet latch did you use?

Also have to considered adding one of these to your rear upper Pax cabinet?

attachicon.gifDSCN0109resize.JPG

This relates to my Pee-on-a-tree discussion in my post. Sorry. TMI?

Boonie

Boonie, we used the same slam latches that FWC uses these days.  I bought from there different vendors on Amazon.CA and they were all the same part.

We have a 3 gal bucket in the lower cabinet that serves that purpose.   :rolleyes:

#107 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:27 PM

Vic, checking in late and catching up on your build- very nice!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#108 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:26 AM

Vic, checking in late and catching up on your build- very nice!

Thanks!

#109 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:17 AM

OK, the seats are now stable.  Next project - the ceiling!  As you can see, it is in rough shape.  Near as I can tell, it got wet and dry repeatedly.  The previous (original) owner only used the camper for one month, then parked it on his property southeast of Albuquerque in the sunshine.  Obviously in must have rained occasionally.  He never checked the camper until selling it to us.  And we were not sure what the damage was from.  I had a minor leak once during a torrential rain we drove through, and resealed all the roof screws with 3m 4200.  No more leaks.  But, damage was done to the roof liner material.

Holy Roof Batman!

The thin "wooden" battens shatter on removal, leaving lots of nasty staples behind.  They come out with a bit of cursing and tugging with a pair of pliers
Staples everwhere

Here is a short clip I recorded about attempting to repair the ceiling liner... not sure this will work - my first crack at sharing a video clip on WtW.   https://1drv.ms/v/s!...3RvQnQ?e=Kg3h8w

Basically, I have new liner material from the good folks at ATC.  The pattern matches the material that is in there now.  I may have the time, but I am not sure I want to remove the roof completely in order to do this repair.  I may yet do that, but I wanted to experiment with doing a more "tactical" repair rather than full on replacement.  

So, I am going to cut out the damaged stuff and replace only that.  Thanks to the work done by others here, I think this is a viable option.  Previous good threads:

https://www.wanderth...dliner-install/

https://www.wanderth...ad-liner-ideas/

https://www.wanderth...uctivity/page-2

https://www.wanderth... ceiling tubes

OK, I am committed now! Scary part... committed now

And just a few minutes later, I have mostly removed the bad stuff.  Just another chunk to do over the bed area:

Mostly off

I am pleased to see that there isn't much damage or mold on the rockwool in the ceiling.  I am likely going to replace that with 1" solid insulation.  I've heard rumours that can squeek in a wind though... is that true?  Should I stick to fluffy fiberglass stuff?  Either way, I am going to seal it all up to create a vapor barrier like I did in the walls.

More tomorrow.... 

#110 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:12 PM

The rigid insulation can squeak a little bit in high winds that rock the camper.   If it is that windy though, the wind itself is much louder.  

If you have the opportunity to redo the ceiling, have you considered someway to provide a thermal break on the aluminium frame members?  The worst condensation we get in the camper is on the ceiling above the bed where the frame members are.   On cool humid nights it can get wet enough to drip on us.   I am not sure if you have experienced this.

Could you install a thin layer of insulation blanket between the headliner material and the frame and foam to provide a continuous thermal break? The fancy (or excessive) way to do would be aerogel (I use this stuff at work for polar/stratospheric instruments, and it is amazing): supplier I have used  or a cheaper source.

A maybe more realistic option would be self adhesive ensolite foam which would also act as a vapor barrier.  I used this stuff on the inside of my precious landcruiser camper and it greatly reduced condensation on exposed metal surfaces. 

Just a thought, and something I would look into if I were to pull my head liner (hopefully never!).

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users