209 replies to this topic

#201 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 June 2020 - 05:46 PM

Vic if you want other photos of my canoe on the camper go to the thread above your last post here about storm flaps.

I posted several photos from 2010/2011 of my camper with the storm flaps and the canoe on top.

Oh on the storm flap issue.Mine are sown on I have never had any leaks.

I also use them for awnings for the sun and also to keep the window open

during rain.Works great.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#202 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:30 AM

Here are some pictures of my Hawk's windows.  I'd like to see examples of ATC windows to compare these to.  

\

IMG 6409
IMG 6408
IMG 6407
IMG 6406
IMG 6405
IMG 6404
IMG 6403

#203 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:19 PM

Vic, don't have close ups handy but here are 3 photos- one without flaps, one with flaps on and rolled up and one secured for rain. It is a bit of work to put them on using our step stool but we like how secure the windows are from driving rain when they are on and closed- we have been through some intense rains with no leaks. Most times we leave the flaps on and rolled up. When bad weather threatens, we just roll them down- takes but a couple minutes.

IMG_6334.JPGIMG_6440.JPG

IMG_6455.JPG

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#204 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:54 PM

thanks!

#205 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:33 AM

Back to the canoe for a sec...   Figured out the mounting! Here it is on the camper:

IMG 2056

Front view.  The U channel is bolted into the 1" crossbar, and has a hole in it for the hook of the ratchet strap.  Strap ratchet mechanism is far enough away from the canoe to have no contact with it..  U channel and 1" cross bar are lined with 1" wide teflon tape to avoid abrasion and make sliding it on easier.
IMG 2060

Back view.  There is smaller L channel on the inside to keep the gunwales away from the bolts that hold the 1" crossbar to the T-slot roof rails.  Also all lined with teflon tape.
IMG 2062

Both ratchet straps can be reached without a ladder!

#206 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:44 AM

Back to the window leak.  Did some more testing tonight.  In this pic I've used a small spray bottle to spray through the mesh at the clear vinyl.  You can clearly see water pooling in the "gutter" at the bottom of the window.

IMG 2064

Here I have my finger on the gutter to pull it away from the mesh... water is definitely in this gap.
IMG 2065

From there, the water runs along the gutter until it gets to the edge of the window, which is on the inside of the camper.

IMG 2066

We weren't sure how the water got through that far, so stuck a blob of black butyl rubber in the corner.  You can see how deep the water is pooled against it now (4 full squares of the mesh).  Water still got through.  Our conclusion is that it is wicking through the velcro itself.
IMG 2069

Next steps are to apply seam sealer to the velcro in this corner and retest.

I can really see the elegance of the FWC version of the windows vs how ATC is making them.  

Anyone who has made their own vinyl/canvas got any ideas here?

#207 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:13 AM

Vic,

I made my windows exactly like the FWC design, as I studied it carefully. I haven’t had any leakage so far. As you showed in the above FWC window, there is a shingle effect as the clear vinyl and mesh material lay over top the side liner opening at the bottom of the windows, with a slit on the outside edges, for the material lay down into, and a patch of extra vinyl on the inside Bottom corners, sealing up any potential for leakage.

Would it be possible to put a patch on the corners of your windows on the inside Bottom in a similar manner?

I don’t know what the inside of the ATC design looks like, so not sure if it would work the same, so just a thought. Could be that the ATC design absolutely requires the exterior removable flap to seal out water, and that’s the only option. My patches were a little different than FWC, but same concept. You can take a look at my build thread if you want a closer look (page 13). Hope you’re  able to find a satisfactory solution.

Poky

Edited by PokyBro, 17 June 2020 - 05:28 AM.

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#208 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:56 PM

I fixed the window leaks!  Details in this thread:

https://www.wanderth...or-cover/page-3

Also, added a Victron Orion TR DC-DC charger.  It worked OK, until they did and update in the last week or so.  Applied the update, and now it works GREAT!  Details in this thread:

https://www.wanderth...chargers/page-5

Edited by Vic Harder, 29 September 2020 - 11:58 PM.

#209 12valve

12valve

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationVentura, California

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

We tend to stay away from established tourist areas, going for the more remote areas. If this fits your bill, here are a few.  In Baja, a few places to consider, not in any particular order. San Pedro de Matir Park. Great camping in pretty high altitude, rare in Baja. If you are really gonzo, climb Picacho del Diablo, @ 10,000+ feet, the highest peak in Baja. Go to Bay of LA, but turn North to Punta la Gringa. Far better camping and great clams. Some excellent ruins there, but hard to find. For remote, and I mean remote camping, go to any of the "Seven Sisters". Long drive on often not very good roads, but some really outstanding beaches, points and exploring to do out there. In San Quintin, go to Punta San Quintin, you will need a sand worthy vehicle. I drive a Dodge diesel and I can make it. Some excellent exploring on the dormant volcanoes, seal rookery and shipwrecks. If you are REALLY in an exploring mood, go to Mission San Miguel, next to Catavenia. Probably the worst road in existence, but well worth the visit to the water and palm oasis and old Jesuit Mission at the end. Get a load of soccer balls and give them to the kids. I always give them to the youngest and smallest kid in the group. Buy bottled water only. Gas or diesel is no problem, Pemex is well established. Treat the locals with respect. Help others who are stranded, they may be the ones helping you next. If you can, get the "Baja Almanac", both North and South. Lots of excellent maps. The "Baja Adventure Book" is a good resource. Good luck, have fun. 

2005 Reg Cab Dodge Diesel 4x4 6sp, far, far from stock. Gutted 4 wheel camper pop up, now a shell that rests on the bed rails. Rebuilt the interior, much simpler, far more user friendly.   Much better. 

#210 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for that 12Valve... wrong thread I think, but exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users