Reefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:32 AM

This is awesome!

Welcome to the cult, errr.... I mean family :)

Love the outlook on life, I'm in my 40s and look at life the same, wish I did when I was in my 20s!

Are you on IG? If so, mine is: instagram.com/fullsizeadventurewagon

Im in San Diego and always exploring and enjoying beers at camp!

Cheers

Yep I’m on IG too my @ is Reefry. Just gave you a follow! Looks like you’ve been on some pretty sweet adventures [emoji1308]

#12 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:59 PM

In 1975 the restaurant company I was working for sent me up to Calgary to help straighten out a failing store. Loaded up my ‘69 VW Westfalia and left Ventura for the time of my life. Had to leave the country 6 months later (Canadian work permit expired) and return to the beach but man ‘o man, what memories. I traveled all over in that van and had a blast. Don’t know how old you are but I’m 64 and when I think back it feels like yesterday. Good “on ya” for hittin’ the road.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#13 Reefry

Reefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

In 1975 the restaurant company I was working for sent me up to Calgary to help straighten out a failing store. Loaded up my ‘69 VW Westfalia and left Ventura for the time of my life. Had to leave the country 6 months later (Canadian work permit expired) and return to the beach but man ‘o man, what memories. I traveled all over in that van and had a blast. Don’t know how old you are but I’m 64 and when I think back it feels like yesterday. Good “on ya” for hittin’ the road.

I’m only 23 so I got tons more roadtrips in me. Especially now that I got the camper. But now that sounds like a classic roadtrip in the VW! I get sent out on trips for work but never anything like that.

#14 Reefry

Reefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:42 PM

I knew I wanted to get a shell model so I could build it just the way I wanted. So while looking for the camper I had plenty of time to think through all my renovation plans. I ended up getting a non-shell model which meant I didn’t need to worry about a kitchen sink, stove, or any of the cushions. That helped tremendously! Super stoked on getting a furnace along with it as well.

Here is the camper just before I tore it down.

DSC03970.jpg

#15 Reefry

Reefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

DSC03975.jpg

You’ve seen one you’ve seen em all. This one most definitely showed its age.

#16 Reefry

Reefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:45 PM

The tear down took much longer than I expected but with FWC’s design it made it surprisingly easy.

DSC04320.jpg

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:18 AM

When I had my wall paneling and insulation off, I took pics of all the studs with a tape measure laying along them, so I could later find those studs if needed.  Just sayin'.

How are you planning on re-doing the roof lining?  I thought that was pinched between the roof cover and frame, so thought the roof would need to come apart to redo that bit?

#18 Reefry

Reefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:35 PM

When I had my wall paneling and insulation off, I took pics of all the studs with a tape measure laying along them, so I could later find those studs if needed. Just sayin'.

How are you planning on re-doing the roof lining? I thought that was pinched between the roof cover and frame, so thought the roof would need to come apart to redo that bit?

I only needed to drill into the studs for one thing only and I had the wall easily off and on for that. I got as many pictures as I could for future reference but I think I should be good.

The ceiling was actually converted to a 3 piece fiberglass cover by one of the previous owners. Super easy to work with. I really had it easy with this build lol

#19 Reefry

Reefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:56 PM

I re-used the same solar panels from my camper shell and I got a smoking deal on two used Maxx Air fans for the roof. Also got a nifty little solar cable entry plate to keep water out

I'm not very experienced with cutting tools but luckily my first time cutting a hole in a roof turned out perfect and the fan fit nice and snug

DSC04323.jpg

FWC-Roof.jpg

Edited by Reefry, 05 June 2019 - 04:23 PM.

#20 Reefry

Reefry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:03 PM

After that I began on insulation. Again very easy to work with and fun to learn, but also incredibly messy lol.

DSC04329.jpg

Edited by Reefry, 05 June 2019 - 04:22 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC, Hawk, PrerRunner, Offroad, Long Travel, Four Wheel Camper, King Shocks, Tundra

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users