7 replies to this topic

#1 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:50 AM

Hi, 

Looking for this forum's input on a question I have.  I have been looking at used campers and found a FWC Hawk '08.  The owner is the 3rd owner, and this gentleman after picking up his unit, had the truck mounting hardware installed by his local FWC dealer.  He has a Chevy Silverado.

I have a 2014 Ford F150.  The Hawk looks good and I want to purchase it, but will likely be driving 8+ hours to get there.  How can I get my truck ready/prepared for installation and transfer? The only mounting I currently have is the factory bed mounted tie down points and that seems like a bad idea (and also can't find the load rating).  I've been on the FWC website, and I'll obviously do the obvious (like remove bed liner, tailgate, etc).  Is there any mounting hardware I can bring or modifications to my truck bed that will make my return trip SAFE?  

I am aware that FWC and their dealers install their own eye bolts/backing plate.  Can I do this prior to picking up the unit?  Is there a recommendation on the type of turnbuckle? Currently I don't want through bolts and don't want it secured on permanently.  Would appreciate any feedback .

Thanks,

Luke

Edited by laherro, 03 June 2019 - 12:59 AM.

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#2 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 03 June 2019 - 01:40 AM

What ever you do, do not use the factory bed tie downs. They are not rated to handle the load of the camper. I would recommend having a dealer install the bed mounting points or at the very least, install the recommended hardware for the Hawk. Here is a video of that maybe of help.

https://youtu.be/BUNeVnxHRuU

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#3 Sportmaster

Sportmaster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:45 AM

Call me an idiot but I used the bed tie downs for a year (06 hawk/13 f150). Last weekend I almost rolled the truck on a steep muddy road (only way out of our campsite) and the bed mounts held strong while one turnbuckle sheared at the bolt that goes through the camper, another pulled the entire bolt through the wood base, and another turnbuckle bent. You'll probably be fine. That said, I've upgraded my hardware to the new steel hangar and installing the eye bolts in the bed. 20190528_184952.jpeg 20190528_185002.jpeg 20190528_185009.jpeg

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 03 June 2019 - 03:42 PM

ouch!
The OP said “no through bolts” which is how FWC recommends it be done. that leaves the underbody mounts that are normally used on bigger campers

#5 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for all of the replies.  FWC customer service replied to my e-mail this morning, and I was able to order their kit, including bolts, turnbuckles, and wiring.  They also sent me all of the installation instructions.  Really impressed by their service.

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 03 June 2019 - 08:17 PM

Congrats on your 08 Hawk.
That's what I have. You'll love it.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 04 June 2019 - 01:45 AM

I would recommend bringing a few 2X4s the length of your truck bed with you.  The camper is coming off of a GMC and going onto a Ford.  Ford trucks typically have higher bed rails and you may need the 2X4s under the camper to clear the bed rails.  Better to have them and not need them than find out after the fact.

It would be interesting to know what truck brand the camper was actually manufactured to fit.

Edited by Bill D, 04 June 2019 - 01:49 AM.

#8 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Bill.  I did bring 2x4s but did not end up needing them.  Seller was very good about providing measurements of everything beforehand.  Actually had the original purchase order, looks like original vehicle was a Chevy Silverado.  

I would recommend bringing a few 2X4s the length of your truck bed with you.  The camper is coming off of a GMC and going onto a Ford.  Ford trucks typically have higher bed rails and you may need the 2X4s under the camper to clear the bed rails.  Better to have them and not need them than find out after the fact.

It would be interesting to know what truck brand the camper was actually manufactured to fit.

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC hawk, turnbuckles, eye bolts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users