#1 Conestoga

Conestoga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAlameda, Ca

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:42 PM

Have been looking for a small camping table to use between the chairs.  Always looking for something small and light weight.   Found the Helinox table at the Overland Expo.  Hadn't seen them before, but apparently their local office is just across the estuary from us in Oakland.  Had occasion to put it to use this week for coffee and light breakfast in the morning, books and camera mid-day, and afternoon snacks before dinner.  We bought the one with the drink holder in the middle which kept our coffee cups and water bottles securely held in place even when bumped.  A bag to keep it clean is also a plus.

Definitely not large or overly strong, but for something small and light weight, it performed flawlessly.

https://helinox.com/.../camping-tables

Cris & Rod

Attached Thumbnails

• HelinoxTable.jpg

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:08 PM

Looks like a nice table but expensive. We use these. https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00JGJGQ5O was $25 on sale

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:27 PM

Looks like a nice table but expensive. We use these. https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B00JGJGQ5O was $25 on sale

Paul

I have 2 of these that I bought at Walmart 6 or 7 years ago for $25.00 each.They are very sturdy and handy.I use them all the time.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#4 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:17 AM

I struggled with finding something and then one trip just used the folding work platform that I had been using as a step to get in and out of the camper. Now it does triple duty: step into camper, bench for putting on shoes, and table between chairs. It is big enough and stable enough that my dogs can use it to get into the camper. (Well, one cant use it since she went blind). The platform is similar to the one linked below but I got mine from Rocklers and it has a 330 lb capacity.

https://www.homedepo...AP-20/100662616

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:58 PM

As it happens I was looking for a table earlier this week and was considering these....

Trekology Portable Side Table

Crazy Creek Roll Up Aluminum Table with Adjustable Legs

Camco Folding Bamboo-top Adjustable-leg Table

I liked the weight, packed size, and table-top size options of the Trekology table but wasn't sure I'd like the 16-inch height. And if you look at the video of it being assembled, you see the guy makes the rookie mistake of assembling it on an uneven surface and we're reminded of one of its shortcomings-- non-adjustable legs.  Still, that three-pound weight (for the large) and 3" dimension on the folded down table are attractive for stowage.

The Crazy Creek one is twice the weight but I like that height can be adjusted between 27 and 33 inches. I also like the idea of leveling the table.... but only if it's not a hassle to adjust the legs. 

I like the bamboo top one can hold 85 pounds, is height adjustable 18 to 25.5", has levelers, and a friendlier table surface. Looks good in the video but then again it weighs nine pounds.

(I'm still looking so appreciate seeing the Helinox one that started this thread.  Thanks, Chris and Rod!)

Edited by Old Crow, 22 June 2019 - 01:00 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 22 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

I have an adjustable height table.  Unfortunately it gets sand in the legs and it makes adjusting the height very difficult.  I have the little Camco table (nick named the origami table) and I love it.  

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#7 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

Honda included a spare tire cover in their CR-Vs from 1997 to 2006 that, when removed from the vehicle has folding legs to make a table. They can be found on ebay for under $100 including shipping or better yet, probably found at Pick-N-Pull or your local auto wreckers.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#8 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:30 PM

The following is a little wide of the mark for the kind of table you are looking for but I thought I would post the information in case someone else that has not already purchased chairs and tables might be interested in our approach.

We have fold up "director" style chairs with attached folding side platforms (table tops) that we have used for many years.  They are older versions of what I can find available now (the tags are faded and the manufacturer info no longer legible) maybe early GCI or REI models.  They are well built, sturdy, comfortable and we have used them for many outdoor activities, picnics, beach, camping etc.

They look like the chair at the following link but without the side flap with pockets

https://www.amazon.c...g-goods&sr=1-16

We also have two roll up tables we can carry depending on the trip.  We have had both for more than 5 years.  I bought both from discount sources at good prices.  I do not know if they can be found at discounted prices anymore

Usually we carry the square table at the following link and we really like it as a small dining table.  It rolls up into a small package and is simple to assemble. It is a good size and height for two people.  It is our go to camping table!   It is a bit large and tall for a side table though.

https://www.amazon.c...ng-goods&sr=1-5

We also have an Alps roll up dining table which we mainly use for group outings (or on our back deck at home for outside dining)

https://www.amazon.c...ng-goods&sr=1-7

We are happy with the chairs and both of these tables.  They are all adequately sturdy. Are easy to set up and take down and the tables store in bags I estimate are about 4 - 5 inches in diameter.

Edit:  We have used the chairs and tables on a lot of uneven ground with no issues.  We usually picnic and camp in places that are not in developed campgrounds.

Regards,

Craig

Edited by ckent323, 23 June 2019 - 08:03 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#9 Conestoga

Conestoga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAlameda, Ca

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:00 PM

I agree that the director chairs with the table are the most comfortable. We have owned a set of the Coleman versions. Found that with the camper, we often haul fishing gear, waders,float tubes, and sometimes guests so space can be tight. That's why we went to the Pico chairs and Helinox table. As usual, there are many good ideas to solve the same problem.

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:33 PM

Just keep in mind that any table or camp chair you choose must be able to survive being set up on un-even ground. Not all organized campgrounds have smoothed areas for your tent if you carry one, let alone for your tables/chairs. Likewise, the further you go out into the boondocks, the more likely your chosen campsite may also be on rocky/un-even ground.

So...the El Cheapo folding chairs may not last long, especially if they are a little low to the ground and you are a little heavier than you were in your twenties. Back in the day we had director-style folding camp stools and some versions of the lounger we camped with. Now those are rarely made with WOOD, now they have aluminum frames and are flimsy if used on uneven ground.

In the last few years I learned my lesson about buying those kinds of camp chairs....you spend more on QUALITY, but they will last much longer if you do. 

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users