12 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:58 PM

Does anyone have a source for old style Primus/Gaz butane cylinders, or maybe some in your gear that you’re never going to use? These are the type that are punctured by the stove or lantern, and can not be removed until empty.

F5F6F4DE-656D-4FC7-B89F-2F9FDED097B8.jpeg

I didn’t realize these critters were no longer sold in most places.

I am haunted by waters

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:53 AM

Looks like they may be yet available in UK or France, or on ebay.

Search for "Campingaz 206 GLS Piercable Gas Cartridge"

Apparently, the cartridge iz/waz made in Lyon France.

Reliving old glory days? ;)

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:09 AM

Paul, thank you!

I was recently gifted two NIB lanterns that use that style cartridge. We had one years ago, but broke the globe and couldn’t find a replacement. The lanterns have piezo lighting/sliding control that make them easy to use. Best lantern I’ve ever used.

I am haunted by waters

#4 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:54 AM

It has been some time since I used those, but my understanding is they cannot be sold in USA due to a new manufacturing standard, the result of which is all canisters, regardless of brand, are interchangeable. I was bummed that I had to throw out my old backbacking stove, but I really like not having to buy a particular brand canister for my new stove -they all work with it.

#5 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:37 PM

I have heard that the little Coleman burner sold at Walmart was designed and built by Gaz and that by dismantling it you can use the parts to convert your Gaz stove and maybe lantern to spin on style canisters. If this does not work you could reassemble the stove and use it as a replacement for the Gaz stove. Otherwise best bet is to get lucky and find some old stock or just travel to France where they are still pretty popular. I collect camping stoves and probably have over 100 of them. The Gaz products were very high quality and seemingly never leaked. I have a Gaz lantern sitting on my mantle that has been holding gas for at least 20 years that I use in emergencies just so I can find something else to use as I don't want to use up my last canister. I know, I'm a bit odd.

Just so you know Coleman bought Gaz so they have the rights to sell the canisters in North America which they won't do because they are , well, Coleman. Probably the wrong place for an Exponent stove rant but those guys at Coleman really.............(twenty minutes pass).........and that's why I'm still mad at them.

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

roverjohn, thanks for the tip. I’ll have to look at the construction of the lantern to see if it’s possible.

I have both a stove and lanterns that use the cans, but the lanterns are the real gems. I have two that until a week ago we’re still new in the box. Just slide the lever over until the piezo igniter snaps, then back to the setting you want. Other than solar, these are the best lanterns I’ve ever used.

710B5A3C-C0C6-4E25-B149-E88046FA1056.jpeg

I still have three unused cans, but I don’t want to run out.

BTW, you’re collection far exceeds mine. I maybe have ten.

I am haunted by waters

#7 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 26 June 2019 - 02:32 PM

Wandering, Mine might be a little older than yours as it has a little flint sparker that throws the most impressive shower of sparks. Lights the lantern instantly. I have a Japanese built one that works more like yours and uses the hair spray size butane canisters. Maybe the best part of both lanterns is that the light isn't as overpowering as most lanterns so you don't need welding goggles on when you're around them. I hope you find some canisters or that the conversion works.

#8 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

There is a guy on ebay with at least ten of the tall ones for 9.99/ea

#9 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:50 AM

Sage,

If you get down to Colorado, I dug up a couple of the larger size.

20190922_193346-M.jpg

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:29 AM

Dang, I just returned from Conifer and Cedaredge last week. I’m not sure if my lanterns could handle them can handle that size. I’ll send you a PM after I get the lanterns out and check them.

Thanks for thinking of me!

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users