• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#11 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

2 batteries, solar, and a compressor fridge. I wouldn't consider a 3-way fridge. Depends on where you live and where you go camping. My 2-cents

Agree exactly with longhorn1 et al. I installed an Isotherm 65 and love it ...super quiet and very efficient  

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#12 EM4

EM4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, originally Vancouver BC

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:36 AM

Ditto on that call

My propane fridge runs forever with no concerns about battery life or camping in a spot with enough sun on the solar panels.  I run on 110v at home before I leave, 12v when I'm driving and propane when I arrive at the campsite.  I don't camp in extremely hot weather; most of my trips are to the California coast or the Sierra. 

That said, I know very little about the compressor refrigerators other than the people who have them tend to like them.

#13 68 Siesta

68 Siesta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • LocationSouth Jordan, Utah

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:06 AM

I converted to a 3 way from an ice box. I got the 3 way fridge from someone who pulled it out of a fwc because it wasn’t cooling well. That person replaced it with a compressor and loved the difference.

In my opinion it’s hard to properly vent a 3 way in a pop up camper so that the fridge cools well. An upper and lower side vent doesn’t seem to vent right. The air just doesn’t circulate well with 2 side vents.

I was able to vent straight up through the ceiling in my hard side pop up and the same fridge that didn’t work in the factory fwc install worked great for me. Seems to freeze my milk even camping in 100 heat. I’d definitely have a 3 way that works well rather than a compressor with all the batts and solar that has to go along with it.

That said, I do think compressor fridges generally work better in pop up campers due to space restrictions.

Edited by 68 Siesta, 24 June 2019 - 03:08 AM.

#14 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:24 AM

In my opinion it’s hard to properly vent a 3 way in a pop up camper so that the fridge cools well. An upper and lower side vent doesn’t seem to vent right. The air just doesn’t circulate well with 2 side vents.

I was able to vent straight up through the ceiling in my hard side pop up and the same fridge that didn’t work in the factory fwc install worked great for me. Seems to freeze my milk even camping in 100 heat. I’d definitely have a 3 way that works well rather than a compressor with all the batts and solar that has to go along with it.

That said, I do think compressor fridges generally work better in pop up campers due to space restrictions.

Exactly correct. You have to revamp the the factory installation to get proper venting and air flow. That and a couple of computer fans and mine will cool 60* below ambient.

CWDT

#15 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:53 AM

We have a 3-way Norcold fridge in the 2007 FWC Keystone Camper.  It is original and was factory installed. It has the optional 12 v fan which helps on hot days.   It works great on propane and 110 V.  If it is already cold it holds temp OK on 12 V.  We have learned that the pilot will occasionally blow out if we go over 65 mph but we typically leave it on propane all of the time unless plugged into shore power.  We have a remote thermostat with wireless readout in the cab of the truck so we can monitor the temp when driving.  The propane lasts more than 7 days rain or shine even with some cooking on the propane cooktop and some heat from the propane heater at night.. 

We also have a Dometic CFX-28 12v refrigerator/freezer behind the center console in the extended cab area of our truck.  It works well too.

I would not consider switching our 3-way refrigerator in the camper to a 12 v refrigerator. 

If I were converting from an icebox the choice is less clear.   If I already had propane but not solar I would lean towards the 3-way. 

If price was not a consideration I would put in >250 W of solar and a 100 Ah LiFePO4  battery and probably go with a 12 V refrigerator.  Our trips are often more than 12 days in duration and we frequently have experienced several consecutive cloudy or foggy days on our trips. Also we like to camp in forest areas and in combinations these conditions challenge complete reliance on solar.

Edited by ckent323, 24 June 2019 - 04:45 PM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#16 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

Our first camper came with a 3 way fridge that was poor performing most of the time. Once in a great while it worked just OK. Did the 'clean the fuel orifice' deal on it several times with only marginal increases in performance. Two 80mm computer box fan type fans on staged thermostats pushing hot air out of the upper vent got it to work OK most of the time. Best that I ever saw was 40°F below ambient. On a 95°F day......

Replaced it with a compressor fridge. Couldn't be happier. 100W of solar, BEP Marine VSR, 6ga. cabling, and a pair of 2GC batteries more than kept up with it. No noisy fans needed.

New to us camper came with the exact same model Dometic 3 way. Didn't hesitate, didn't try to make it work, just replaced it with the same model Indel compressor fridge.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#17 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:32 PM

I love small three way fridges if only because they run without electrical power so I have that for something else. With my first truck camper I used an icebox and then made ice in one of the first ever compressor fridges which I still have. This was long before solar was practical. The system worked fine but I traveled a lot back then so the truck's alt was constantly keeping the battery charged. 

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:56 PM

We’ve had both 3 way and compressor style refrigerators in our campers. The compressor styles are more effective, but I find the 3 way more convenient because of power needs. Of the compressor type refers, I find the top loading portable types most handy for what we do.

I am haunted by waters

#19 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:00 PM

Hi Wnaderingsoul
One other thing to consider is the chemical used in the three way refrigerator.

https://rvshare.com/...-refrigerators/

Hope this helps, there is other information on this site.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#20 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:45 PM

I wouldn't trade my 3-way for anything. It seems like every day someone or another is fretting over the solar/battery setup etc while my little old propane fridge just keeps on ticking along, sipping barely any propane  and keeping my beer ice cold. On our 3 week journey to the Artci last summer I believe i used a total of about 25 pounds of propane. That included cooking, heating the furnace, heating the hot water tank, and running the fridge. I also run the fridge on propane while driving (yeah, yeah...I've heard it before. Never had an issue running my fridge on propane while while driving in 20+ years of camping and road tripping) Anyways, I love my 3-way fridge and never had to worry about where we find our self camped out, whether in the dark season or under tree canopies.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Four wheel camper, Ice box conversion, 3-way refrigerator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users