• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Ruck_and_Roll

Ruck_and_Roll

• Members
  • 144 posts
  • LocationGrand Junction, Colorado

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:14 AM

After months of searching, and 4 weeks of arranging with an out of state (and very patient) seller for pick-up and method of payment, I'm finally home with my '08 Hawk!!!!!  Seems well taken care of and I am very happy with my purchase.  I ended up setting up my truck beforehand with the install kit and used the FWC supplied tie-downs w/supplied eye bolts.  This forum thus far has been immensely helpful to me...and actually how a seller found me.  I've had great and useful feedback on all of my posts.  

Now that I'm home with it, figuring out the next steps.

1.  Saw-horses for storage, looks like there are few really great posts on this

2.  Electrical-looks a little daunting doing the truck electrical install, I have the directions from FWC and reviewed stan's video, and may give it a go, but thinking about having a professional do it....just not sure where to look, although there is a dealer 4 hours away from me.

3. Solar- trying to determine if it is pre-wired?  Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.  It is a '08 and there is nothing on the option list that suggests it would be.

4.  Get some bike and rod racks and start having fun!

Any other advice/recommendations would be very helpful.

2021 Ford XL SuperCrew HD Payload Pkg

2008 FWC Hawk

Western Colorado, USA

Instagram: @lukeyfiasco

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,253 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:24 AM

Congrats on your new camper and welcome! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 08 July 2019 - 05:22 AM

Hello leharro

Congrats on the Hawk. 08 is a very good year, I would recommend " go camping " :)
Get a multi meter it will help with the electrical, plenty of others have posted up how the store their rods n bikes. Welcome to WtW.
Four Wheel Campers could probably help with the pre wired. Providing the serial number should help.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:12 PM

Now you have to get the tattoo and the forum gets to decide what it is and where it's located! :-)  Congrats.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 08 July 2019 - 12:52 PM

Congratulations on your score, laherro!

On solar pre-wiring....

In this post from 2007 Stan says solar pre-wiring on all camper models started in early 2006 so you should have it.  Look for a coil of red and black wires near the battery.

You also might want to look at the wires from the roof-- they're behind the front lift-panel, close to the left (driver's side) edge of the lift panel.  This Tech Tip/Service Bulletin (Camper to Roof Wiring) thread  explains why.  And I see that first post has a link to Lighthawk's Broken solar wire redux: 2008 Hawk thread where you'll see photos of the wires behind the panel.  Also, if you scroll down in that thread, you'll see a photo of where the red and black wires may end up in the roof (under the push-board you use to push up the front of the roof). (If not, contact FWC with your serial number for location info)

Edited by Old Crow, 08 July 2019 - 01:03 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:29 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the club. Get the electrical from the truck set up just enjoy a season of camping/wandering. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 08 July 2019 - 06:28 PM

Welcome-get a couple of spare key sets made for your pop-up and strategically find a place to put/keep them :rolleyes: !  Maybe a pair of slippers/flip flops for indoor use and a screen door and "welcome" type floor mat. Now  get out and go WTWing!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:18 PM

Welcome to the "cult".

Yes this is a great site with a lot of info and members with the know-how.

When I had my 09 ATC Bobcat built I had Marty pre-wired for solar

but the "hot" wire was too small a size,so I ran my own wires at the rear

of the roof and behind the rear lift panel. Works well.

Enjoy your camper they're great.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 RC Pilot Jim

RC Pilot Jim

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationSan Diego Calif

Posted 11 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

Adding my congrats.

When you wire up your roof solar you might consider eliminating the "friction" connector that over time (in my case) gave us intermittant connectivity.

See pictures:

Old Connector removed from roof

gallery_2684_938_108576.jpg

Junction Box

gallery_2684_938_209475.jpg

Finished project

gallery_2684_938_249487.jpg

Parts, directions, and tests 

Page 12 reply # 111 Click on the link below my signature.

Word of warning

We originally had a "flex solar panel" glued on the roof. When it failed getting it off the roof was an exercise. So we located the new panel directly over the surface scars of the old one...forgetting that 26 pounds was now sitting above the bed, in front of the lifting panel and the roof would be impossible to lift without the "speaker lift" even with the 40 pound roof lifters. 

Position the panel in front of the rear roof vent to span the middle of the roof so that on each end you are just lifting half the panel.

Purchase the "Yakima" tracks as that gives you a stable platform to install solar panels as they wear out in the future (about every 10 years).

We glued the new panel on the roof and it is just as tight as it was 3 years ago and 30,000 miles...And 3M makes a chemical that disolves the glue when its time to remove it.

Happy camping to you

Edited by RC Pilot Jim, 12 July 2019 - 12:23 AM.

Jim

Retired from truck camping June 2021

Our Basic Eagle/Fleet Shell Build

#10 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:37 PM

Yep, you joined a cult of nice people who love to camp and explore. Welcome!

You've got the same year Hawk as we do.

It's been great. Old Crow is correct to remember some of our campers have had wiring problems behind the front push board, but it's fixable.

Enjoy getting out there!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users