Truck build 92 W250

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#51 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:50 PM

Guess it's time to clean out the vent! Deck plate makes a clean cover.20191027_141101.jpeg 20191027_143558.jpeg

#52 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:09 PM

Doing a shake down run on the Mojave Road in a couple of weeks, lots of work to do still, but I need to get some trial runs in.

#53 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:58 PM

Well I have not even started and I noticed that my scepter water can wont fit my can holder because it is not the military version and is wider at the bottom, time to spend the extra amount and get the mil spec version. Also my basket that fits in the receiver hitch hits my spar tire so I will have to have that modified...I guess that's why they call it a shake down run before I do the long trips.

#54 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:26 PM

Well I did my first shake down run in big red and discovered a few things, first, I brought to much crap, and second I didn't bring things I actually needed! I had cut the bunk ladder to short and it was like trying to go straight up and down, will need to buy another and pay closer attention. The little giant ladder was not really needed except for reaching the roll up windows, my step was fine, but will need it when my elderly dog comes along (To big to lift). Thinking the top load fridge will be the way to go as I brought alone an ice chest due to the volume of food and the way things get tossed around. Trying to keep up with jeeps is not a good idea, it did it, but I have more limits and off road prowess is less. Also they can turn on a dime and I cannot. Need to plan meals better and pack in a way that makes what I need handy. So glad I bought the foam mattress I did from Costco, it was very comfortable. I opened up a sleeping bag and laid it out, was warm even to 30 degrees. Airing tires down and filling them up is more important than thought and will need the investment to make happen (Already in work), Truck still needs some fine tuning to be reliable, got lucky as when I got home the battery was toast. Lead acid batteries do not hold up well to off road abuse. More to come. 

#55 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 05:59 PM

Post trip damage report: After the deep water, I had some bad squeaks from the engine, thinking its the alternator as its the only thing old except the AC clutch all have 222K on them. Will need to buy an AGM battery as I destroy standard lead acid batteries after these trips, and mine was pulverized. My radiator was a little low, and I kicked myself for not packing extra anti freeze. My awning seems to want to come out on one end and I had to zip ty it in place, will need to figure out why. my Thetord toilet was very nice to have, but I do not trust the optional hold down for it that I bought and ran a hold down strap over it just in case, that's a lot of liquid being tossed around and it would get ugly quick if it got tossed around inside.My new coopers did very well despite being aired down to 30 and driven on the freeway at 35. 

#56 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:43 PM

Also had my chair fail.jpg

chair fail.jpg

#57 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:44 PM

Brand new Mossy Oak chair failed the first time I sat down, was supposed to be heavy duty :(

#58 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:17 PM

Wow, guess I’ve been lucky. I’ve driven plenty of washboard but have not yet destroyed a SLA battery. 🤞

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#59 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:14 PM

Well it was 7 years old, so that's a lot of pounding, cant complain, it did well.

#60 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:10 PM

I buckled the case of an Interstate battery in the dune buggy. It was 2 years past it's due date and had two cells at about 60% electrolyte when it quit. When I complained to the Rep he laughed at me! The nerve!

:)

I put Interstates in the next several vehicles.

Thom

Where does that road go?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users