Photo
- - - - -

Hawk on a Utility Trailer - It can be done!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 06:44 PM

We keep the Hawk on the flatbed trailer and tow it behind our Land Cruiser 95% of the time. My work truck is a Tundra so it's nice to be able to swap b/w both. We do a lot of off roading and with a small family it's nice to drop the trailer and base camp.

Obviously many folks like the truck camper. My comment above was that the "hawk on a trailer" seems to be a great option when compared to the other off road trailers folks are using. The teardrop, the utility trailer with expanding fold over tent, etc. The FWC is just so quick and easy and we love having it on the flatbed!

IMG_6109.JPG

Edited by fireball, 15 July 2019 - 10:43 PM.

#12 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 16 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

We keep the Hawk on the flatbed trailer and tow it behind our Land Cruiser 95% of the time. My work truck is a Tundra so it's nice to be able to swap b/w both. We do a lot of off roading and with a small family it's nice to drop the trailer and base camp.

Obviously many folks like the truck camper. My comment above was that the "hawk on a trailer" seems to be a great option when compared to the other off road trailers folks are using. The teardrop, the utility trailer with expanding fold over tent, etc. The FWC is just so quick and easy and we love having it on the flatbed!

attachicon.gifIMG_6109.JPG

Nicely done!  And that trailer looks very capable..oh, you pup is a beauty!   :D

#13 TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationTemecula CA

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

attachicon.gifIMG_6109.JPG

That's really cool.  I have a FJ40 and have considered doing this---wondering if there is room for a dirt bike under the overhang :)

#14 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 17 July 2019 - 12:04 PM

I’ve got a 40 also and doubt it would tow a setup like this very well unless you use a super lightweight trailer.

My setup fully loaded with water and gear for a family of four is 3,300lbs with 400lbs of tongue weight.

The 100 doesn’t exactly love towing it, but does just fine all while getting 6-8mpg!

#15 outdoornate65

outdoornate65

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 01:15 AM

Above trailer looks like an AT Overland deck model if I'm not mistaken. That would be a great little base for a trailer mounted FWC. 

#16 esimmers

esimmers

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:56 AM

Since I started this thread I thought I'd get back to everyone with my experience this last year with my Hawk on my 5'X8' Eagle Lightspeed trailer.

<https://www.eagletra.../eagle-trailers>

The trailer runs on 15" wheels, weighs 850 pounds and has a gross vehicle weight rating of 2990 pounds. With my Hawk fully loaded, I estimate it weighed close to 1500 pounds so, with the weight of the trailer added, I was under the GVWR. The rig towed easily; I just had to be careful when backing up not to turn so hard that the front of the trailer overhand contacted the back of my truck canopy. Driving forward was no problem.

It was great to be able to park the camper and drive away with my truck. So great, in fact, that my wife and I are going to get a small fifth-wheel trailer and probably will sell the Hawk. I'm sorry to do that but we're both getting to the age where climbing up and down into the over-cab bed multiple times a night is just no fun.

If you have any other questions, send me a private message and I'll be glad to respond.

Edited by esimmers, 16 December 2019 - 07:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users