Facebook Post Alleging XP Campers, LLC has closed

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:54 PM

I was under the impression, until now, that the RV industry was booming with baby boomers reaching retirement age, millennials buying RVs for full timing instead of renting or buying houses or condos and a proliferation of MB, Ford Transit vans, Ram Promaster vans on the road.

http://www.msn.com/e...Kz&ocid=HPDHP17

I sold a lot of parts to Elkhart in the 80's and 90's. It is an impressive place for sure.

CWDT

#22 alaskaguy

alaskaguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

I was under the impression, until now, that the RV industry was booming with baby boomers reaching retirement age, millennials buying RVs for full timing instead of renting or buying houses or condos and a proliferation of MB, Ford Transit vans, Ram Promaster vans on the road.

This has been the case for the past few years, but not anymore. The largest RV company in the world (Thor) has seen sales drop a lot. Could be for a lot of reasons. I look at a company like RoadTrek (that built on vans you speak of) and they just went out of business. If RoadTrek can go out of business anyone can.

https://www.business...-helping-2019-8

RV sales are plummeting, which could mean a recession is on its way — and President Trump's trade war isn't helping the struggling industry

RV shipments have come in below 2018 levels during each month of 2019 thus far, according to data from the RV Industry Association, totaling a 20% drop compared to last year, and experts say the decline could be a harbinger of more damning economic data to follow.

#23 alaskaguy

alaskaguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

I'm pretty sure the idea that a bunch of millennials are full timing in RV's and tiny houses is a myth propagated on youtube and instagram..

But, yeah, I hope the new owners somehow figure out a way to keep things alive for people willing to spend $100K or so on a truck camper. And, more importantly, that anyone who had a deposit on an XP is made whole even though you could argue that that sort of folk probably can afford a lost deposit or two.

Those millenials and tiny house people, even if they do exist, don't generate any real revenue for the RV industry. Some guy buying a van and building it out himself is not what the RV industry wants. They want people to buy massive overpriced 300k class A rv's and $40,000 junk trailers and 5th wheels that leak and fall apart after 3-4 years. Those people (van dwellers) may be taking business away from the RV industry though. Every person who builds their own van is someone who isnt using a place like Road Trek (who went out of business as mentioned). I feel like Road Trek did it to themselves and people realized they could built their own road trek for 50% the cost. I think a long time company like Sportsmobile may be the next one to go bankrupt.

#24 eas0831

eas0831

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 04:47 AM

Most likely no buyers of XP "can afford a lost deposit or two."

Why XP?

Diesel heat

All compartments heated so it actually functions in the winter

Water filter

Water pump can fill tank from a spring or stream.

Good solar

Good inverter

And an efficient p[op up flat bed design

I don't know anyone doing all that.

150K was the new price only after they quit making new campers

#25 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:25 PM

I’m surprised they lasted as long as they did. I wonder how many units were finally delivered? Their primary product (V1 on custom flatbed) was unique and had much potential, but they needed better focus and organization to succeed. 

We had an order for a V2 six years ago and visited the shop 3 times. Hard to get a straight answer about anything because each unit (V1, V2, cube) was a long, semi-custom project with inevitable trial-and-error. Plus they had problems with the shell fabrication and staffing. As time wore on our project kept getting delayed and altered, so we canceled. 

Best of luck to Marc and Toni, and to the new owners. 

2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4 CTD, Crew Cab, 8' box, Hallmark Guanella 

#26 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

$150K for a truck camper?? And then you have to spend another $40-$60k for a truck. That must be a typo because you can buy a top of the line motorhome on a MB or Ram chassis for less than that. If $150k is indeed the correct price then bankruptcy would be an expected result as the next expensive truck camper is way less than half that amount and likely with more features and options.

A business plan that addresses the owners needs and wants but not potential customers needs and what they are likely willing to spend for a camper is guaranteed to fail.

Outside van builds a totally custom interior for your van. You tell them how you intend to use it and they design and build an interior around that. I looked at one that was about 90% complete and the craftsmanship, fit, finish, quality is second to none. Unfortunately I can’t afford one as the one I looked at costs around $140k, not including the van. A 4x4 Mercedes base van will run you about $60k. FWIW their shop was full (about 6 or 7 vans in various stages of build), they are running ads to hire employees, they have about a year’s worth of build backlog, and about 8-10 brand new vans in their parking lot that they sell to their customers if the customer doesn’t want to buy one and bring it to them.

There are other examples of companies that are producing high end campers (earthroamer, earthcruiser, etc....) that seem to be doing well and their rigs are as much as $500,000K.

I don’t think one can’t point to the sales price as the sole or even primary reason for XPs misfortune. We will never know for sure but my guess is that there were several factors that contributed to the issue.

And if you think some of these campers are overpriced, just take a look at the yachting industry.

#27 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:27 PM

I took it as 150 with out the truck. As a comparison provan tiger is about 130 sans truck.

For that kinda coin I'd want the option of some tailoring of the body size as it wasn't optimal for us. Unless I had money to burn, which, seems to me, some folks have. Judging by what I've seen in driveways not to mention dock or houses.

They did sell some, so for some folks it was the right fit and price. Their money ...

Edited by klahanie, 29 September 2019 - 12:29 PM.

#28 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

It was $150k without the truck.

#29 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:46 PM

Outside van builds a totally custom interior for your van. You tell them how you intend to use it and they design and build an interior around that. I looked at one that was about 90% complete and the craftsmanship, fit, finish, quality is second to none. Unfortunately I can’t afford one as the one I looked at costs around $140k, not including the van. A 4x4 Mercedes base van will run you about $60k. FWIW their shop was full (about 6 or 7 vans in various stages of build), they are running ads to hire employees, they have about a year’s worth of build backlog, and about 8-10 brand new vans in their parking lot that they sell to their customers if the customer doesn’t want to buy one and bring it to them.

There are other examples of companies that are producing high end campers (earthroamer, earthcruiser, etc....) that seem to be doing well and their rigs are as much as $500,000K.

I don’t think one can’t point to the sales price as the sole or even primary reason for XPs misfortune. We will never know for sure but my guess is that there were several factors that contributed to the issue.

And if you think some of these campers are overpriced, just take a look at the yachting industry.

We recently replaced our solar setup on our camper. The work was done by a local van conversion shop. He fit us in because it was a small job but he said they had a waiting list until spring of 2021. The recently moved into a larger facility but like many manufacturers has difficulty in finding skilled trades people. We checked out some of their custom builds. Wow! 

2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#30 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:55 PM

There is a small niche market out there for well-built custom RVs. But, most of the newer ones that are massed produced suffer some issues. Just read RV Horror Stories on FB. It is really tragic when people lose their life savings to an expensive but poorly built unit. 

We travel on some pretty rough roads (not Jeep trails) and our Hallmark and truck are holding up well. It seems to be well-built. The only mods we have made was to upgrade the solar from 140 watts to 400. We also got the Battleborn lithium ion batteries plus new controller. 

From what I have observed, people want granite countertops, walk around beds, recliners, gas burning fireplaces, TVs, dishwashers, etc. without checking the build quality. All those extras are worthless if your slide breaks or the water tanks leak or structural damage occurs. I shudder when I see these units on dirt roads with washboarding. It must shake the whatever out of these units. 

2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users