• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

Amen brother on having to remove boxes...someday! Don, is that Rob Bonney you’re talking to about the carrier? Just a comment: I emailed him with a question about the Caravan camper shell on the Siberian Hunting Truck he built and was featured in several mags/forums. I wasn’t expecting to hear much but he replied with an honest, detailed response within half an hour. Impressed! I may hit him up for some sliders and drivetrain protection on the battleship.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#42 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:04 AM

Richard, I have no idea who you're talking about. Carrier?

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#43 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:51 PM

Sorry...the rear bumper/tire carrier. I know those rear latches have been a real PITA for you. Rob Bonney is a fabricator in the Phoenix area with a bunch of projects out there.

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 19 August 2019 - 03:52 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#44 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

Txt me his info Richard.

The original fabricator that I talked to at ExPo in May, went out of business. Yeah.

Went to the guy that does a lot of Thuren installs and welded in my front truss. He is supposed to give me a quote on making new swing arms and/or modding the position of the spindles and latches to fit.

IMG_3487.jpg

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#45 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:01 PM

Got my Hawk home safe from PHX. Thanks for the help and advice. 

#46 patrkbukly

patrkbukly

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationFairplay, CO

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

FWC's fit a lot of trucks - poorly. At the rear, that extra 4" is a pain. And the gap between the cab and the front wall is wasted real estate.

Do you carry extra fuel? 

I'm really kinda vacillating on what to do. I need at least 10 gallons extra. I know AT offers a kit to mount a carrier on the jack brackets. Haven't seen one in person yet to judge how robust that approach is. Raises the CG. Could run a tighter rear bumper and not deal with the swing-out hassle. 

Limits me to 35", which is not the end of the world. Yet.  :lol:

I removed mine and just lay a 2 x 4 upright at the front of the F250 bed. Leaves about 1". Looks better and I keep my exterior shower tent tucked in that space. 

#47 radarcontact

radarcontact

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • LocationWyoming, USA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:55 PM

Yeah I can live without wiring, thanks for the reply. This is going to be a Cannonball run. Or as close as a Power Wagon can do.

Speaking of mounting in a RAM, is the FWC prevented from going closer to the front bedwall due to rubber bumpers at the bottom or restrictions due to interference with the backside of the wheel wells?

Can't speak for a Ram, but I suspect it's the same situation as my Chevy......I had the big gap between my bedwall and the camper, didn't like it.  I took a hacksaw and cut each bumper longitudinally, decreasing the width of each by half.  This allowed me to snug the camper up closer to the front bedwall.  It hasn't caused any issues with jostling around, etc., and I think, aesthetically, it looks better.  FWIW.

Edited by radarcontact, 28 August 2019 - 01:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users