Photo

done with the traditional Dometic 3 way.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:40 PM

Yes it works but I need to be super level and the spots I pick I rarely get that option. I have seen full 12 volt (Danfoss) models and they are pricey. I need to bring my WAICO (DOMETIC) chest fridge  and it sits in the small hallway, sure I use it to sit on and to climb into bed. OK has anyone been in this postion? Have not posted for a while side tracked with family issues, and or money. Anyway hello all you helpfull people.

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#2 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:01 PM

I'd be surprised that it had problems working if you were going to raise the top on an Alaskan. I find that if I don't get some leveling for the truck, that the top binds one the way up and/or on the way down.....I know if you just climb into the back to hit the hay without putting up the top that you might be on a pretty steeper grade.

However, since these units are supposed to be able to run on propane while driving down the Happy Highway, it would seem that they should work when you go UP or Down a pretty steep road....

So...before abandoning all hope, maybe someone here with more experience than you and I can tell us why it would not work on propane on an uneven surface. Maybe some kind soul has the manual for that unit and can see what the mfger says about using propane on the highway and how level your rig has to be for it to be at its most efficient....

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#3 Mike S.

Mike S.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationHope, B.C.

Posted 31 July 2019 - 07:53 PM

I also had a lot of problems with my propane fridge, actually two of them I now have a 12 volt electric one don't know the name but it is made in Germany.  I ran my fridge with the top down but installed two computer fans  to circulate air even when moving.  Not parking on level ground was the answer I got for my propane fridges going out.

99 Dodge 2500 4x4 Diesel, 94 CO Alaskan 10', 10 ply BFGs Air bags,  VE7YHE

#4 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

The flame in a propane fridge needs to burn straight up the flue and not be directed at the wall of the flue as it would be when off angle. The reason a propane fridge works on the highway in varying terrain is because the truck is varying the off angles so the flame only gets pointed at the side of the flue for a short time and the spots on the flue that the flame gets pointed at will vary.

With newer 3 way fridges, say about a dozen years old or newer, if the RV is level enough to sleep in, then it should be level enough for the propane fridge to work.

In really hot weather a propane fridge works better if there is a 12v fan mounted near the plumbing and blowing warm air out the upper vent.

Edited by DanoT, 01 August 2019 - 04:17 PM.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#5 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:44 PM

DanoT covered just about all of it. I would add that you need to be “mostly level” so that the “boiling ammonia”, the refrigerant, can flow smoothly. Additionally, a small fan inside the unit helps spread cold air to all of the nooks and crannies. But that holds true of the 12v compressor models also.

My experience with these units is limited to our motorhome, where I run it exclusively on propane...even when we have full hookups. Yes, it gets much colder on propane rather than 12v/110v. Our biggest issue has been making sure that the tiny burner orifice is kept free of tiny little spiders and their webs. I end up cleaning out the compartment with compressed air virtually every trip we make. Those little suckers are prolific!
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#6 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:32 PM

Cleaning out the spider webs in the stove burners will improve the flame look as well....those tubes look to e perfect hide-aways for the little critters.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#7 flyboykev

flyboykev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:52 PM

hi there,

on a 95 10' cabover, does anyone know what the illuminated toggle switch does mounted next to the thermostat? is it 3-way fridge related?

thanks

flyboykev

#8 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:02 PM

I've now put a compressor fridge in two pop-top campers. Ironically the exact same model from the exact same vendor in radically different pop-tops. The first one was preceded by a lot of hemming and hawing over many trips with spoiled food. The second one got exactly one chance to work right and then it got replaced. It is a lot of money. I've never looked back.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#9 wagoneer

wagoneer

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM

Thanks guys I cleaned the burn area and noticed the little fan was not working. I will look into that lucky to have the original scematics. 

1995 Dodge Ram diesel 1976 CO 8 Ft. Alaskan Camper

#10 cc7665

cc7665

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:42 AM

I have the Novakool fridge and love it, just works. I wish it was the bigger model though, it’s tight when we go on longer trips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users