• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 01 August 2019 - 10:20 PM

Our Fleet is now on our 2019 Ford Ranger. gkebdrick has a lot of good information in posts on his thread at http://www.wanderthe...l=+ford +ranger but since I did much of the installation, I wanted to lay the details out in a new post with pictures.

First, you need to raise the Fleet a minimum of 3 1/8” off the bed to get ½” clearance above the sides, which FWC says is the minimum. I built a frame out of 1” x 3” (3/4” x 2 ¾”) fir with 3/8” hard rubber pad to raise the fleet, which thus met the minimum. The cross pieces line up with Fleet’s cross pieces. The cross piece at the very front and back of the Fleet do not need to be supported. I chose to build an open frame of 1 x 3 because I wanted to keep weight down. See pictures. I’m not sure all Fleets and other campers have the same dimensions, so measure before you cut. Also, I hear some campers may have their tie-down plates in different positions. Check with FWC. Next time the camper is off, I’ll update with my Fleet measurements – or perhaps someone can post them.

I had the bolts anchored to the bed by 10/40 Overland (Jeff Martin is great to work with).

here in Portland OR and it took about ½ hour and was relatively easy to work under the bed. Using the offset in the anchor plate, they were able to mount the eyebolts very close to the bed cross bars. I neglected to measure eyebolt locations before I put the Fleet on, but the pictures with a tape measure should be accurate enough. I’ll try to add under bed pictures in an update.

Before putting the camper on, remove the antenna on top of the cab – it just unscrews. This did not seem to affect radio reception and Sirius – and probably not Ford’s telemetry. You will also need to remove the black tailgate latch loops from each side at the back of the bed. They stick out too far for the Fleet clear.

The Ranger bed is about an inch narrower at the tailgate opening than the 2005 Tacoma bed that we previously had the Fleet on, but there is still an inch clearance on each side at the opening. BUT you have to remove the tailgate latch clips.

Like we did on the Tacoma, we left the tailgate down. It makes a very nice final step into the Fleet, and a great place to anchor our grey water bucket, leveling 2x4s, an second gas can, etc., while on the road. In development for the Ranger is a stick-on backup camera mirror. It’s available for the Tacoma, F150, and a bunch of other trucks: https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B07QF1HB62

Inspired by the guides on the Tacoma anchor bars, I tried to emulate them. Unfortunately, I built the frame to the dimensions of the Fleet cross boards, which are an inch short of the sides of the Fleet in the back. Next time I have the camper off, I will make new guide pieces. They are covered with a few free vinyl floor samples from Home Depot.

Air-Lift has air bags for the Ranger (Kit 55234), so we went with them as Firestone does not. They have an anti-jounce cone in them that is also supposed to protect them against air loss in the bag.  Installation is pretty straight forward, and the only holes to be drilled are for the air hoses next to the license plate. I had the work done but was there while they did it. Unless you are young and agile, you really want a lift that can bring the wheel up to chest height and can also allow you to remove the wheel.

Pictures show the wiring. The wire is 10 gauge braided (preferred over solid wire) and the attachment points to the Ranger electrical system are important. Do not connect the ground to the battery, but instead where the battery ground connects to the chassis. Of course, be careful when connecting to the positive terminal – make sure your wrench makes no contact with the chassis (or disconnect the ground terminal on the battery first). I chose not to mount the Fleet cable connector in the bed but, using  cable ties, mounted it under the truck. The bed mounted connector in the Tacoma for our previous Eagle was a real PIA to connect. We had the new connecter in the same location on our Tacoma for 4 years and no problems. Use cable ties to secure the wire from the battery to the connector. FWC provides a 30 Amp resetting fuse with their install kit (or get it on Amazon – it comes with a plastic cover). The fuse is taped over with electrical tape in the picture: https://www.amazon.c...tomotive&sr=1-1).

The front of the camper overhang comes within 7 to 8 inches of the top of the windshield, which pretty much precludes mounting a fairing on a roof rack bar. On the other hand, the slope of the windshield may be sufficient for air to move smoothly up over the camper.

Because there is no bed liner like in the Tacoma, there is a lot of storage room between the outside of the camper and the side of the bed walls with access through the turnbuckle openings. If you use this space, I strongly recommend that anything you put there is in a stuff sack clipped to the turnbuckles. Our experience with the Tacoma was that stuff in this area moves around and can get wedged between the camper and the bed. The picture of the frame attached to the camper shows a panel meant to keep any loose object from getting under the front of the camper.

This extra room also means that Derringer Fast Guns easily fit. A proper selection of different size easy-links makes for easy fitting. Adjust the Derringers once after travelling over a rough road and that’s it. I check them about twice a year, but have not had to readjust them.

Loaded for a trip (20 gal water, full propane, food. lots of our stuff, and a full fuel tank but no driver or passenger), the Fleet and Ranger weigh 6500 lbs (OR leaves their scales on even when the weigh station is closed). A lot cheaper than a truck stop scale.

Attached Thumbnails

• Frame 1.jpg
  • Frame 2.jpg
  • Frame Attach.jpg
  • Frame Block.jpg
  • Front Eyebolt 1.jpg
  • Front Eyebolt 2.jpg
  • Rear Eyebolt.jpg
  • Rear Clearance.jpg
  • Side Guides.jpg
  • Side Guide Mounted.jpg
  • Battery.jpg
  • Fuse 30 A.jpg
  • Ground Connection.jpg
  • Cab Roof.jpg

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#2 scappoosebrad

scappoosebrad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationScappoose, OR

Posted 03 August 2019 - 09:43 PM

Jack,
nice narrative your install...could you also post photos of the truck/camper installed...hard to imagine
your final setup...currently we have our Fleet on a 92 Nissan...want to buy a full size truck(more power,
higher weight capacity desired)... will also need to "retro fit" with bed panel to raise up our Fleet to
fit the full size bed...

When you get a chance, would love to see a few exterior photos post installation...thanks

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

Yes lets see some pictures of the whole unit.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:52 AM

Here's the finished product.

We are in the process of getting it shipped by truck carrier ro Albany NY. When we have the arrival date, we will fly to Albany, stop at a Bernie era commune (now just a VT "camp") that friends have maintained ever since.Then on through mid Quebec and to Gillam Manitoba (we trust the fugitives will be caught by then). A side trip up to Churchill by train (want to see what the other side of Hudson's Bay looks like) and then taking the most northerly route back to Portland.

With the Ranger, our height is now 85 1/2" - 4" more than the Tacoma, so truck transport is either harder to book  - or more expensive. We've done this twice before. Once to travel through Newfoundland/Labrador and Quebec's 389 and another time to travel to James Bay and on up the La Grande River to the end.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190803_144223.jpg
  • 20190806_172512.jpg

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:27 AM

Nice set up Jack. Thanks for the install report.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 jmisslyn

jmisslyn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 December 2019 - 05:14 AM

Great idea on the backup mirror ! New to the forum. Looking to purchase a ford ranger and install the FWC shell in the near future. 

#7 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:51 AM

Thanks for this great write up on mounting to a Ford Ranger.  Do you have any update on how the camper rides on the frame you built and used to elevate it?  Any issues?  I am sort of on the verge of making a switch from a Tacoma to a new Ranger, and the only thing that does not excite me is the height of the bed and the elevation needed to clear the rails.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#8 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 403 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 16 January 2021 - 03:23 AM

The Fleet on the Ranger has worked out very well. I use Derringer Fast-Guns instead of turnbuckles, so the camper always stays tight to the truck bed. We've been on a lot of gravel and back roads in the PNW and western Canada with no problem. I've also lifted the Fleet twice (once to insulate and once to rewire) and the fame shows no damage. The Derringers are worth every penny.

The Fleet roof is 3' higher than when it was on the 2005 Tacoma and on level ground, I can reach up to tuck the canvas in when I drop the top. But if I've put a 2x4 under a wheel on a side to level-up, I need the two-step to easily get to it. I'm 5' 8". Really a minor issue. We keep the tailgate on, so the same two step (Rubbermaid - rides in the back, fast in, fast out) works almost as well for getting in and out of the Fleet. Without the tailgate, we would want a three-step.

We went with the Ranger over the Tacoma for a number of reasons. Better drive train, better reliability per Consumer Reports, and better comfort. We get about 17 mpg on average, which is about 1 mpg better than the 2005 Tacoma. The newer Tacoma would probably get about 17 mpg. Minor cab differences: there's about 2" less backseat space in the Ranger Crew (Access) cab, but we use it only for gear. The door pouches hold a bit less, one less cup holder, and no coin tray on the dash and a few other very minor negatives. The minor positives for the Ranger: The compartment between the seats opens up and back, not sideways. the tray above the dash is very handy. I mounted two levels in it at right angles. Great place to keep pens and such  and to stash small items, cell phones, etc., when climbing into the cab.

#9 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 16 January 2021 - 08:04 PM

Thanks, Jack for that update.  Much appreciated.  

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#10 Your Mileage May Vary

Your Mileage May Vary

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 August 2021 - 12:20 PM

Thanks, Jack for that update.  Much appreciated.  

@Jack » Thank you for your report on the Ranger/Fleet combo. It's very useful.

@Occidental

I see from your signature that you now have a 2020 Ford Ranger with a 2012 Eagle. I'd love to learn from your experiences. I took a look on your site but didn't find any mention of the Ranger setup over there.

I have an ATC on order but I'm reconsidering the Tacoma and thinking the Ranger might be a better way to go.

Thank you in advance,

Robert

Robert VE9CDN » 2023 Ford Ranger FX4 with ATC Bobcat

Goal is to travel overland as slowly as possible, as far as possible, as long as possible.

AdventureTrend.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users