• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:36 AM

My wife and I are considering classes. We are planning on traveling more next year out west. Any member advice that carry on your experience on your travels? The good and the bad.
Thanks Wayne

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

I found this while researching the topic:

https://www.amazon.c...uct/0578422999/

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 12 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

Can you get a CCW in IL?  You might want to get familiar with the reciprocity rules because that seems, to me, to be the biggest impediment to travelling within the law.

#4 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:38 PM

Can you get a CCW in IL?  You might want to get familiar with the reciprocity rules because that seems, to me, to be the biggest impediment to travelling within the law.

IL has CCW in place. I’m going to research all aspects before diving in. Big responsibility deciding to carry.

#5 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:59 PM

My 2 cents on conceal carry....

Take a class, even four or five from very respected instructors.  Decide if you have the mind set for shooting another human being.   Also, explore the post shooting circumstances you will most certainly be facing.  

When I say take a class, I'm am referring to beyond your conceal carry instruction, not instruction/classes to obtain you conceal carry permit.

In-so-far as instructors are concerned, there is no industry certification process.   

There are excellent civilian instructors, but there are many who have no business teaching.  I would highly recommend seeking out former military individuals who teach.  Being former military, many come to mind and I participate in several classes annually.

To name of few on my short list...

Pat McNamara

Jeff Gonzales    Jeff has a lot of focus on mind set.  After his class, you will have a better understanding of your mindset

Mike Pannone

Being a good instructor goes beyond shooting and fundamentals.  A good instructor must possess the ability to teach and be an excellent conduit of information.  The above gentlemen cross and exceed that threshold IMHO.

Carrying a concealed pistol is not about carrying a concealed pistol but rather possessing a tool, the skills and the mind set to kill another human who is threatening your life, the life of a loved one or an innocent bystander.  

I've carried for decades, given the chance, my first option is to always RUN!!!!   Followed by seeking cover or concealment (cover will stop bullets, concealment will not) to assess the situation.  My skills are pretty advanced, but, I am no longer trained or current on the practice of moving to and engaging an active shooter.  Those are skills that need to be practiced frequently and with other equally trained shooters.  Moving to and engaging an active shooter, room clearing, etc are highly advanced skills.  A single mistake could cost you your life.

Think long and hard about what will happen post shoot...your life will be turned upside down by the judicial system.

What do you say to the police on your first encounter post-shoot?  Do you even talk to the police about the "shoot" without your lawyer present?  

Your lawyer better be in your speed dial and call him/her at your first chance.

You need a post shoot plan in place.  Bank on being detained.

Not trying to scare you out of "carrying", just trying to illustrate what you will face post-shoot, even justified.  And remember, the "justified" will be likely be determined many months if not years post shoot.

Edited by Advmoto18, 12 August 2019 - 11:22 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:22 AM

"+1" Advmoto18.  Conceal carry comes with responsibilities.  This could be a blessing or curse.  Only you can decide.

Also work on your awareness skills to quickly assess situations and avoid most situations. Run, Hide, or just drive away if possible.

Learn to look at the other person eye to eye and talk it through and being able to lie convincingly if need be.

And most of all you have a gun, don't let it become somebody's else's weapon that can harm you, your loved ones or anybody else.

Be safe, think it through!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:39 AM

My 2 cents on conceal carry....

Take a class, even four or five from very respected instructors.  Decide if you have the mind set for shooting another human being.   Also, explore the post shooting circumstances you will most certainly be facing.  

When I say take a class, I'm am referring to beyond your conceal carry instruction, not instruction/classes to obtain you conceal carry permit.

In-so-far as instructors are concerned, there is no industry certification process.   

There are excellent civilian instructors, but there are many who have no business teaching.  I would highly recommend seeking out former military individuals who teach.  Being former military, many come to mind and I participate in several classes annually.

To name of few on my short list...

Pat McNamara

Jeff Gonzales    Jeff has a lot of focus on mind set.  After his class, you will have a better understanding of your mindset

Mike Pannone

Being a good instructor goes beyond shooting and fundamentals.  A good instructor must possess the ability to teach and be an excellent conduit of information.  The above gentlemen cross and exceed that threshold IMHO.

Carrying a concealed pistol is not about carrying a concealed pistol but rather possessing a tool, the skills and the mind set to kill another human who is threatening your life, the life of a loved one or an innocent bystander.  

I've carried for decades, given the chance, my first option is to always RUN!!!!   Followed by seeking cover or concealment (cover will stop bullets, concealment will not) to assess the situation.  My skills are pretty advanced, but, I am no longer trained or current on the practice of moving to and engaging an active shooter.  Those are skills that need to be practiced frequently and with other equally trained shooters.  Moving to and engaging an active shooter, room clearing, etc are highly advanced skills.  A single mistake could cost you your life.

Think long and hard about what will happen post shoot...your life will be turned upside down by the judicial system.

What do you say to the police on your first encounter post-shoot?  Do you even talk to the police about the "shoot" without your lawyer present?  

Your lawyer better be in your speed dial and call him/her at your first chance.

You need a post shoot plan in place.  Bank on being detained.

Not trying to scare you out of "carrying", just trying to illustrate what you will face post-shoot, even justified.  And remember, the "justified" will be likely be determined many months if not years post shoot.

Thank you for this "in depth" info.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:20 AM

Carrying is doing what's right. Its our obligation to protect others. No matter where.

Thats my longtime opinion.

#9 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:29 AM

This is a deeply divisive topic and I appeal to the moderators that is is inappropriate to WTW.

I would add that I was a reserve deputy for my county for ten years including a lot of remote forest and BLM settings....full training and regular range duty etc. etc.

Members seeking to discuss firearms in public settings may wish to do so privately or in some other forum.

David Graves

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,565 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:35 AM

Wayne, I’m late to this conversation, but in addition to instructions, research which states have reciprocal agreements with the state that issues your permit.  I believe permits issued in Utah have the greatest number of reciprocal states. I believe some states have no reciprocal agreements.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users