8 replies to this topic

#1 Mayday

Mayday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast, CA

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:35 PM

Hey everyone. I'm finally getting a used 2018 Hawk this weekend. One question I have is are towing mirrors necessary? I already ordered a pair, but they won't arrive in time for my first trip. Should I pick up a universal set for my 2013 Chevy Silverado?

Thanks! 

#2 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:50 PM

Personally, I'd just wait for the ones you've already ordered. Trying to remember what size the '13 GM non-towing mirrors are, but there isn't *that* much that sticks out past the bedrails anyway. 

I've vacillated the past couple of weeks with the Hawk on my '16 RAM as to having the mirrors up or down. Up in Dumbo land they are kinda overkill, and down they are meh as you don't get the height that is kinda needed while backing.

Edited by Oilbrnr, 13 August 2019 - 09:51 PM.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:50 AM

We have a 2013 F-250 crew cab, 8' bed and have been good with the stock mirrors.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:16 AM

If you can drive your truck without tow mirrors, you shouldn't need them with a FWC. Tow mirrors are for towing trailers. With a FWC the footprint of your truck has not changed at all. That being said, the upper limit of the camper is where trouble can happen. I rubbed our Fiama awning against a pillar in a parking garage backing into a tight spot. The ground was sloped down so the truck was leaning enough where the top of the camper was about 6 inches different from the tires. I was focusing on the the bed of the truck in relation to the pillar and didn't realize the awning was so much closer. Thankfully it was a stucco pillar so all it did was rub some of the paint off of the awning housing. But it was a lesson that while the lower limit of the camper is the same as the truck, if you are used to backing the truck up normally, you might not be thinking about what is going on up in the air. But tow mirrors don't help with that. Taking your time and possibly stopping to pan your mirrors up and down a little bit is what does help.

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

Hey everyone. I'm finally getting a used 2018 Hawk this weekend. One question I have is are towing mirrors necessary? I already ordered a pair, but they won't arrive in time for my first trip. Should I pick up a universal set for my 2013 Chevy Silverado?

Thanks! 

I imagine the jacks will be on the Hawk when you pick it up as you'll need them to load. You may want to consider removing them for the trip home.   You can of course check the view and make your own decision at the time.  But if you take along the wrenches/sockets  to remove them you have the option.

When I picked up my F150/Hawk rig about four hours from home and had to return on a rainy night in heavy traffic, I felt the view was terrible and I'd have to get mirror extensions.  When I removed the jacks the next day, I was surprised how much that helped and I changed my mind.

The other thing I'd advise is check the view through the camper's rear door and side window to be sure there's nothing blocking it.  There may not be much of a view there but any little bit can help.  In my case, the screen slider on my older Hawk wasn't a clear one.  If I had known I could pop it out for the trip home, I would have done that.  I updated to a clear one and that fixed the problem.  My older Hawk also has a large side window and I've found it useful in backing out of a parking spot into a traffic lane.

Enjoy your Hawk!

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:59 PM

I have a '19 Tundra Double cab and never felt the need to have towing mirrors with my 05 Hawk. I currently have an ATC Panther that is 4" wider than a Hawk and still feel perfectly comfortable driving with the oem side mirrors. I do use 4" spot mirrors that helps eliminate blind spots plus I can see where my rear wheels are when I park (think curb rash). Definitely take the jacks off - I just use a cordless 3/8 impact and 9/16 socket to zip them off/on. As others have mentioned, it's very ez to forget about top clearance.The main thing is to keep constant awareness of vehicles behind and alongside of you as you're happily wandering down the road!! Enjoy your new camper!!

Edited by Ronin, 14 August 2019 - 05:02 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#7 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

As others have mentioned, it's very ez to forget about top clearance.

True! And watch for tree branches/bushes. 

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#8 Bjammin

Bjammin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

Never felt the need for towing mirrors for my F150, but I thank the car design gods every time I shift into reverse and see the image from my backup camera. Of course, it was an add-on because I had to remove the original when I took off the tailgate to slide the Hawk in.

#9 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:17 AM

If you have stock mirrors on a Chevy 1/2 ton, you will likely lose about 1/4 of your visibility, in the upper left hand corner of the mirror.  I have a regular cab and I'm tall so you may find things to be different.

I have added convex mirror in this corner of the mirror being it is virtually useless otherwise.  I have larger convex mirrors and I find that they are primarily what I use.

You can always pick up a set for under $10 until your tow mirrors arrive.  Maybe have them on hand and plan to return them if you feel you don't need them.

Edited by Bill D, 15 August 2019 - 01:18 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawk, Chevy, Silverado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users