• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:36 AM

Thankfully the airbags didn't deploy. Probably would have had more injuries. There was no impact on the front of the Ranger to set them off.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#22 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:07 PM

Whoa. Big picture ...you won. Glad all okay. Sad for the material side of it but with effort you can bounce back. Pictures sure do take the breath away. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#23 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:33 AM

70 mph is typically the fastest I will drive.  When it gets windy, I usually slow down to 55mph.  Is it unreasonable to think slowing down should have been one of the lessons learned?

Was it a calm day and then a sudden crosswind came up?  I'm not sure about the USA, but in Canada we typically have signage in areas where isolated crosswinds are common.

BTW, I'm glad you are safe.  I am however curious as to how fast others drive in windy conditions.  Hopefully they put a sign up in that area if it was an isolated crosswind.

warning-crosswind.png

Edited by Bill D, 19 August 2019 - 12:37 AM.

#24 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:12 AM

I was hit by a rogue gust in New Mexico travelling from Chama to Abuquerque this time last year...crystal clear hot summer day, only a gentle breeze...it souded like something huge hit the side of the truck and pushed me 1/2 lane over toward oncomming lanes. No warning, just the normal west to east winds across the desert...I imagine a narrower truck with shorter wheelbase would have been more difficult to handle.

#25 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

Bill D- You're correct, if it had been windy I would have slowed down or in this case advised the driver, (non-owner) to decrease his speed, but it was not a windy day at all, in fact as we waited for the wrecker, it was hot and I was wishing for a breeze. 

I have thought about this a lot and replayed the "mental video" a number of times, it was completely a matter of over correcting after a gust. I also think if there wasn't a 2 inch drop from the travel lane to the breakdown lane, he might have held it, but who knows.

In the mean time, both the Ranger and the Eagle have been declared a total loss. The insurance company and I are close to establishing a value for the Ranger. The adjuster for the Eagle is looking for comparable FWC units on the market and contacting dealers. I'm in the process of submitting my claim for "personal property" allowed under the Eagle policy.

May have some answers this week. I pickup the F150 FX4 on Saturday. 

Travel Safe 

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#26 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:12 PM

Again, glad you are safe Larry.

It will be interesting to see what the insurance company comes up with for a value on the FWC and the Ranger.  We've read a number of threads on insurance, but not much on claims.  Was your FWC insured separately, or... was it noted as an additional item on your truck insurance?

Hopefully things go well with you and the insurance company.

I had a near miss a couple years ago on ice.  Fortunately I did not over steer to correct it and it saved our bacon.  I contribute this to off-road training I had in a skid truck.  It was a real eye opener as to how little steering input is needed to put a vehicle into a skid or correct a skid.

Again, best of luck!

#27 Bwht4x4

Bwht4x4

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMorro Bay

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:15 PM

I just got back from a NM hunting trip with my camper.  Had a few crosswind incidents, but noting bad.  I'm guessing the 9,800 lbs weight of my truck/camper combo helps with keeping me in my lane.

You guys are lucky to be alive.  Yesterday westbound on I-40 there was an accident and as I pass the accident scene I looked in my driver's side mirror and see who I believe is the lone drive of the car (or truck, not sure) laying on the asphalt.  He appeared to be deceased as he had pale white skin and was laying on 120+ degree asphalt with nothing under him and there was no ambulance there and they were already towing his vehicle out of the median.

2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab, 4WD, CTD paired with a 2013 FWC Hawk

#28 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:46 PM

Well, finally I have some info to report regarding the claim process for a total loss on both the truck and camper.

The process was long, didn't reach a number on each until this week, still waiting on personal property claim. So 23 days and counting. One check is in the mail, others still pending. They would have given me an advance payment since I have a clear title, but I didn't take it.

Some lessons:

1- Make sure you have a key to mail to company along with your title, which I did. Even if you leave a key with the wreck, they will charge you $250 if you don't mail a key with your title to the company.

2- Salvage as much of your personal property as possible, which I did, and then take pictures of personal property which is left behind, which I did. But this isn't always enough. My medical insurance company wouldn't replace my Cpap for free unless it was listed as lost on the police report, which it wasn't. I have submitted it to my auto insurance and I'm waiting for an answer. I finally paid for one and hoping to get reimbursed. ( I was tired of being tired without using one to sleep.

3- I screwed up and didn't have car rental coverage on the truck policy, I do now. My buddy who was the driver is covering the cost of a rental.

4- If your truck is registered in Texas, remove the plates and destroy them, I didn't, so had to complete another form.

5- Keep receipts on everything, both paper and digital. I had my receipts for tires and battery in the truck, so that I would have them if needed for those warranties. Of course I didn't retrieve them. They would have increased the value of the Ranger for new tires and new battery.

6- The Ins Co has been great as far a the few medical bills, I have up to $12,500 under personal injury and medical expenses, so I just gave the medical providers the insurance info and my doctor and Physical Therapy will bill the Ins Co directly. The adjuster said they will pay for any medically necessary procedures. So ER, X-rays, and PT for my fractured clavicle. I should be 100% in another 4-6 weeks, depending on who's opinion is right. 

I think because I had a separate policy on the camper I may have done slightly better: 

1- I was allowed up to $750 for hotels and food, so the rest of the road trip and my return home was reimbursed by submitting receipts. This was included in my camper policy not the truck.

2- I was allowed up to $3000 for personal property under the camper policy. I had to have receipts and photos were also helpful, both pre-wreck and the after wreck.

3- Receipts and photos of the items added to the camper were helpful. For example the adjuster valued my awning at $240, until I submitted a receipt for $1407.00 for my ezi-awn batwing awning. They then increased the value of my FWC Eagle.

4- Once I take delivery of my new FWC Hawk in October, I will buy RV replacement coverage. I think they said it will last for 5 years. This I think could be very useful, say for example you live in TX and they find one in Oregon. I believe they pay for delivery.

If I understand this, then if I have a total loss they will find a replacement or a one newer and buy it for me. ( Not 100% sure on the details) My other option is to purchase "Agreed Upon Value" coverage. So if my Hawk costs $X and has Y options, then I add ABC to it I can submit receipts and the company and I will reach a new "agreed upon value". It will add to the policy cost but make the claim process easier. You have to send receipts to the insurance company before the wreck as you add stuff.

I hope this helps others. Of course I never thought I would need the policy on my camper, and maybe had I been the one driving, I wouldn't have needed it, but **** happens and that's why its called an accident.

Travel Safe 

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#29 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 August 2019 - 01:04 PM

Glad things are moving into the positive. I appreciate you describing the details and lessons learned. Good for others to know. Good luck with the new camper/truck.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#30 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:08 PM

Hello Larry

I am also very glad you and he were uninjured...driving is our most dangerous task.

Could you share your thoughts about how the camper separated from the truck?

I believe you mentioned it was thru bolted.

David Graves

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accident, FWC Eagle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users