• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:01 PM

I may be getting close to replacing my AGM batteries (two 12v, 75ah) in my 2015 Hawk and would like to hear some opinions on the best AGM replacement.

Secondly, my Zamp 30a solar controller is Lithium capable. Does this mean I can simply buy two 12v, 75ah Lithium Ion batteries and change the batt setting on the controller to Lithium Ion? (I’ve also sent Zamp this question, I’ll add their reply when I get it)

Also would one 12v, 100ah Lithium Ion battery be better than my current two 75ah batteries?

Let’s just say cost isn’t a factor.

Thanks,
Brian

Edited by BrianG, 17 August 2019 - 08:03 PM.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#2 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:07 PM

I had two 12v 100 amp hour Renogy AGM batteries in my Eagle, I was very happy with them and plan to put another set in my new Hawk. . I got them thru Amazon, with free shipping.

With your 2 x 75 ah batteries, you had 150 amp hours which allowed you 75 ah before getting to 50% discharge. If you went with 1 x 100ah, you would only have 50ah available.

I can't answer your lithium questions

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:36 AM

I may be getting close to replacing my AGM batteries (two 12v, 75ah) in my 2015 Hawk and would like to hear some opinions on the best AGM replacement.

Secondly, my Zamp 30a solar controller is Lithium capable. Does this mean I can simply buy two 12v, 75ah Lithium Ion batteries and change the batt setting on the controller to Lithium Ion? (I’ve also sent Zamp this question, I’ll add their reply when I get it)

Also would one 12v, 100ah Lithium Ion battery be better than my current two 75ah batteries?

Let’s just say cost isn’t a factor.

Thanks,
Brian

I sold my Hawk, which had 2x6V 275AH Rolls/Surette AGM batteries.  They were very good!  And gave me about 125AH usable power.  For the new Puma build, I bought a 100AH Battleborn LiFePO4 battery.  I have almost the same AH available to me now, at 1/4 the weight.

Cost IS a factor for sure.... more up front, potentially lasting way longer making it less expensive in the long run.

One thing we have noticed already is that the LiFePo4 battery charges way faster off of solar than the AGM's

#4 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:44 AM

Hi Vic, and BrianG
That’s what I was thinking that one Lithium would be as good or better from what I’ve been able to read. Also good to hear that the charge rate is better.
Just added 100 watts to our existing 150 watt panel made a work of difference.
When our AGM’s fail we will make the switch.

Russ

Edited by CougarCouple, 18 August 2019 - 02:45 AM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#5 DaveL

DaveL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:49 AM

I sold my Hawk, which had 2x6V 275AH Rolls/Surette AGM batteries. They were very good! And gave me about 125AH usable power. For the new Puma build, I bought a 100AH Battleborn LiFePO4 battery. I have almost the same AH available to me now, at 1/4 the weight.

Cost IS a factor for sure.... more up front, potentially lasting way longer making it less expensive in the long run.

One thing we have noticed already is that the LiFePo4 battery charges way faster off of solar than the AGM's

Exactly the reasons I'm going Battleborn when my 2015s die. Plus, I can add a second later without unbalancing new/old combo unlike Agms. With one lithium I'll have more usable than 2 heavy Agms.

2020 Ram Power Wagon 4x4, 2015 Hawk Shell w/ side dinette & heater

#6 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 05:14 AM

I have 2 -100 amp hour Battelborn lithium batteries and all I can say is "lead is dead"

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:47 AM

I just installed 2 Battleborn GC2 100 aH batteries in my Hawk last week. Turned on my Dometic battery vampire and after 4 days, had watched percent charge drop to 65 % after 4 days of partial sun. The fridge dropped the batteries by about 9-10% points overnight. The next day had a lot of sun and percent charge returned to 90% but was down to 80% by the next morning. That day was sunny & the batteries returned to full charge.

The interesting thing is that the fridge seems happier with a constant 13.3 volts rather than seeing 12.1-12.9 volts with the AGM’s.
Prior to the fridge test, I had plugged the camper into shore power to start with fully charged batteries. I did replace the factory installed IQ4 with an IQ4-LIFEPO4 unit.

I’m not ready to declare victory after such a short test, but I am very encouraged.

The GC2’s are a tight fit in my front dinette battery cabinet, but they do fit.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 18 August 2019 - 08:15 AM

Exactly the reasons I'm going Battleborn when my 2015s die. Plus, I can add a second later without unbalancing new/old combo unlike Agms. With one lithium I'll have more usable than 2 heavy Agms.

I would advise making sure that you can add a newer (different) generation LiFePo4 to an older generation. Running them together in parallel, make sure it is recommended. It could affect life span.
If you will be connected to your truck battery for recharging, check on your alternator about any surge issues. Your lead acid truck battery can drain your LiFePo4 due to uneven resting voltage. Either interrupt the connection when parked or install a moderating battery to battery charger or disconnect completely to rely 100% on solar. I live on solar. My similar experience is that LiFePo4 charges faster & discharges slower.

#9 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

I went back and read some prior posts about Lithium batteries and saw that up to 80% DOD is okay. So now I get why BrianG was thinking one 100 ah Lithium would replace 2 x 75ah AGM.

Would you guys base your battery size for Li batteries using the 80% DOD?

And are you and your batteries okay with an 80% DOD are a regular basis when out camping?

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#10 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:26 AM

I’ve been following the lithium battery conversions on the BBC (Bass Boat Central) for two years. The guys that have converted have had mainly positive reviews. Most are converting because of weight reduction. These guys put these batteries through the mill. The only concern I would have would be a fire. In the event of a fire they are tough to extinguish. Maybe do a little research on that subject before diving in. Maybe a few mods to contain fire in the compartment could be included. Fires are rare but guys have lost boats due to lithium battery fires.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users