• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:38 AM

Zamp replied to my info request on the Zamp ZS 30A that supports LiFePO4 batteries:

"Yes sir it should switch over easily. Do check with the battery manufacturer that you decide to go with that their battery management system does work well with solar controllers. Battle Born is a great company to check out."

The LifeBlue batteries sound very interesting. If I use the Zamp controller, I'll need to check with the manufacturer's.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#22 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:12 AM

Here is another possible choice, it contains internal Bluetooth. “Assembled” likely in China, not assembled in the USA, 5 year warranty. I think pretty much all cells, everywhere, originate from China. Quality internal BMS is an important import from China as well. I would love to know if that is not accurate ...
https://www.amazon.c...,aps,199&sr=8-5
Battleborn below ... best warranty out there for sure. I would suggest though that 10 years is a long time to be in business for a LiFePo4 dealer.
https://www.amazon.c...,aps,199&sr=8-3
Here is the Victron Voltage/Temperature sensor, preferred 10 meter model, this would solve low temp issues
https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1
Torque Power seems to share the same configuration, & components, as my StarkPower Battery, which has been excellent so far. The Stark owner was a lithium pioneer. His former tech guy now works for Torque. Their Batteries are new to the market but I’m comfortable with my purchase. I try to learn all I can about keeping my investment safe & healthy. Value was important to me as I need Batteries for both Camper & Canoe. Bluetooth was also a key component for me. Here is a friends & family discount coupon offered to me by the tech. “SAVE10” It still works. See below ...
https://buylithium.com/all-batteries/
Battleborn & LifeBlue (I have talked to the owner from LifeBlue, a solid guy) are safe bets
PS ... as I stated in an earlier post, this new battery can not be used in parallel with my other battery long term. It can be used in a pinch but not long term.

Edited by Stokeme, 20 August 2019 - 06:37 AM.

#23 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:46 AM

LiFePo4 is definitely the way to go if you can foot the upfront cost for both the battery and getting both chargers inline. Sounds like you have the solar controller situation handled. Do you charge off of the truck as well? If so, you'll have to figure that setup out. Most battery isolators won't work, because they read the lithium battery as a charging voltage and stay open. The Sterling chargers are great, but pricey. Stay away from Renogy.

Battleborn and AIMS are making great LiFePo4 batteries.

#24 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:53 AM

LiFePo4 is definitely the way to go if you can foot the upfront cost for both the battery and getting both chargers inline. Sounds like you have the solar controller situation handled. Do you charge off of the truck as well? If so, you'll have to figure that setup out. Most battery isolators won't work, because they read the lithium battery as a charging voltage and stay open. The Sterling chargers are great, but pricey. Stay away from Renogy.

Battleborn and AIMS are making great LiFePo4 batteries.

Why stay away from Renogy?  I haven't had a chance to test mine yet, but there is a 40A Renogy DC-DC charger in my setup.

#25 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:29 PM

I don't think the lithium vs lead debate is all that clear cut - which is best for you definitely depends on your usage.    

Lithium has a huge advantage when it comes to weight - a LiFePO4 pack weighs about 1/3 what a lead equivalent would.   But the OP has a huge diesel truck, so weight is probably not an issue. 

Lithium has an advantage with cycle life - theoretically you can get 5 - 10x more cycles out of an LiFePO4 than a lead acid, but in practice this remains to be seen, and often batteries are killed by abuse, not old age.   Whether this advantage is worth it to the OP depends on their usage scenario.   If you use the camper 5-6 weekends and a week or two a year, it will take a lot of years for a lead acid to succumb to cycle life, and an almost infinite number of years for a lithium to run out of cycles.  In this scenario, lead acid likely makes more sense.    On the other hand if you are using the camper for months straight and will for years, then cycle life begins to matter. 

Lead acid has the advantage in cost and compatibility - you current chargers and isolators were designed to work with Lead Acid, so no changes were needed.   If you have a vented battery compartment, buying commodity flooded lead acid batteries and using the snot out or them (80% DOD) then replacing them when they die or when the cost of lithium has dropped further may make the most sense.  Unless you plan on using the camper a lot and keeping it for a long time, LiFePO4 will likely not work out from an economic perspective.   However,  campers in general don't make economic sense, so maybe that is not a real concern.

This is all coming from some one with a 150Ah LiFePO4 battery - in my particular case, I am weight limited and enjoy tinkering, so a low cost DIY LiFePO4 pack has worked out well for me.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#26 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:28 PM

Rando, best advice I have ever seen.

CWDT

#27 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:39 PM

Concur with Rando...Question; What specifically is the " low cost DIY LiFePO4 pack"?

Thanks..Phil

#28 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

Concur with Rando...Question; What specifically is the " low cost DIY LiFePO4 pack"?

Thanks..Phil

This:

http://www.wanderthe...mper-batteries/

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#29 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:17 PM

rando,

Did you ever find a battery isolator that had an adjustable set point so that the high LiFePO4 resting voltage didn't keep the truck and camper batteries always connected?

Since tthat resting voltage is near lead acid float voltage, it probably doesn't matter but just curious.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#30 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:24 PM

rando,

Did you ever find a battery isolator that had an adjustable set point so that the high LiFePO4 resting voltage didn't keep the truck and camper batteries always connected?

Since tthat resting voltage is near lead acid float voltage, it probably doesn't matter but just curious.

Paul

I did find one:

http://www.intervolt...sensing-relays/

But it is hard to find in the US and likely overkill. 

As you note, leaving the batteries connected is not a big deal as you just end up float charging your starting battery, so I mostly gave up on my search.   The blue sea ACR does actually disconnect once the battery is around 50% SOC and there is any significant load.   

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users