#31 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:07 AM

Why stay away from Renogy?  I haven't had a chance to test mine yet, but there is a 40A Renogy DC-DC charger in my setup.

Both of the Renogy DC-DC chargers I had would continuously and randomly shut off when trying to charge Lithium batteries. Renogy customer service is terrible. You wait on hold for a long time and just talk to some kid who has no idea what they are talking about and reads back a script from a computer screen. 

The Renogy DC-DC chargers seemed to work fine with AGM and Gel.

I would recommend charging straight off of the alternator/starting battery via a BlueSea relay, or go with a Sterling unit.

Edited by ClimberRob, 21 August 2019 - 01:07 AM.

#32 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:09 AM

Note that, as mentioned above, the BlueSea relays will not disconnect the batteries until the Lithium is fairly low, dropping below 13.0V.

#33 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for this ClimberRob!

#34 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:06 PM

I have a Renogy 50AH LifeP04, a PWM 30A charger and a couple flex 50watt panels. I have not had any issues yet but it is all pretty new stuff. They were good about replacing the earlier flex panels that weren't working well (I was not involved with that) so I would not just write them off so quickly..... YMMV

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#35 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:02 PM

My .02 would be to use Sterling/Solar or just Solar. After having several chats (Sterling, Stark, Relion, LifeBlue, Torque, Bioenno, BlueSea) all the Battery boys were queasy with a DC-DC Truck-Camper connection. Sterling, with his explanation, simplified a bit, impressed me. Noted, I do not have deep electrical knowledge, but I did pick up the concerns on what seemed problematic.
Sterling seemed pricey as an accessory. So, I went strictly with Solar & put my budget into more battery storage. Added a (close out) 50 to my 100. Also added another flex (120Wx2) roof panel and a portable plug/play (100W) flex panel w/50ft cable. Commodity panels, but it all works Good, so far.

Edited by Stokeme, 22 August 2019 - 06:29 AM.

#36 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

I’m not trying to be cute, but a Honda 1000 generator sounds like a better and cheaper solution all the time, but where to put it! Lots of good Lithium batt info.

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#37 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

RedArc has BCDC chargers are are now available in the US. This is one of their 25 amp offerings that has a LiPo charging profile, others have MPPT built in.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#38 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:59 PM

RedArc has BCDC chargers are are now available in the US. This is one of their 25 amp offerings that has a LiPo charging profile, others have MPPT built in.

Redarc specifically states that that charger does not work with LiFePo4 batteries.

For the same amount of money, you can get a Sterling that is fully programmable. 

#39 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:05 AM

Sorry, pasted wrong link, BCDC1225D is perfect for charging AGM, Gel, Standard Lead Acid, Calcium, and LiFePObatteries.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#40 TahoeT

TahoeT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:57 PM

I saw a lot of questions that can be answered by viewing this website:  mobile-solarpower.com    The guys name is Will Prowse.  He reviews panels, batteries, wiring, etc.  He is brilliant.  Enjoy!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Battery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users