#1 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:12 PM

Anyone with a Whynter fridge care to say how its doing?  I'd love an ARB, Engel, Dometic etc...., but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.

Kevin

#2 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

Well I went ahead and bought one.  I guess no news is good news?

Bought this one: https://www.amazon.c...ABPY0PNGXRQPT12

The price was right, and hopefully its big enough.  Going to take the boys on a wheeling trip over labor day weekend so I figured it was now or never.

Kevin

#3 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 02:15 AM

Just an FYI

Out of curiosity I did some online searching and it appears to me that Whynter imports at least some portable refrigerator components and probably some assemblies from SUZHOU SEITEK CO.,LTD in China (as does Norcold and Thetford).

I also found that they import wine coolers and air conditioners from from NEW WIDETECH INDUSTRIES CO LTD. and
ZHONGSHAN CANDOR ELECTRIC APPLIANCE in China

https://www.importge...u-seitek-co-ltd

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#4 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 22 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Just an FYI

Out of curiosity I did some online searching and it appears to me that Whynter imports at least some portable refrigerator components and probably some assemblies from SUZHOU SEITEK CO.,LTD in China (as does Norcold and Thetford).

I also found that they import wine coolers and air conditioners from from NEW WIDETECH INDUSTRIES CO LTD. and
ZHONGSHAN CANDOR ELECTRIC APPLIANCE in China

https://www.importge...u-seitek-co-ltd

Yep.  Not sure if that's good or bad.  Unfortunately you can never tell with chinese products.  It did look like some of the larger Whynter fridges were similar to the Edgestar fridges and those seem to be a bit more common with decent reviews.

Kevin

#5 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

Kevin,

Yes, I have read elsewhere that Edgerstar and Whynter refrigerator are essentially the same with some different details (at least in 2016).

As with many products there are a few manufacturers who will build to spec and the same basic appliance albeit with different details are available under different brand names from different importers.

For example: My searching suggests that Indel B makes Indel B, Ironman, National Luna, Truckfridge and perhaps other brands

I also think Norcold and Dometic are made by the same manufacturer and imported under different brand labels.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#6 Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationKlamath County, OR

Posted 16 April 2021 - 03:09 AM

I'm a little late to this party, but I'll give you my input.  I have an Edgestar branded Whynter that I bought in June 2009.  It has been in almost continuous operation since then, either in my truck when overlanding, or in the house as a spare freezer.  It has never missed a beat.  I wish I could say the same about my Engel. 

Jim Price

curmudgeon: n. a crusty, ill-tempered, irascible, cantankerous old person . . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users