• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:36 PM

My Insurance checks are on in the mail, for the wreck settlement YAHOO!!!!! 

I going to try to document my truck mods and build out here.

Picked up a 2016 F150 FX4 XLT supercab on Saturday, August 25,2019 from Carvana with less than 7,000 miles on the odometer. It has:

standard load tires, 275/65R 18

6500 lb GVWR, 2.7 L V6 ecoboost engine, 325 HP, 375 lb torque,1,660 lb payload, 23 gal fuel tank

On order: 2019 Hawk shell, with furnace, flush mount 2 burner stove, extra roof vent, powered roof vent, yakima tracks only, thermal pack, rear wall A/C, King bed slide out, 270 uzi-awn Batwing awning, silver spur exterior only I will be driving the truck empty 1700 miles at the end of October to take delivery and install. (long story, don't ask)

I have some unique requirements, that being we are full time RVers, so the Hawk will be bolted thru the floor and live permanently on the truck and be towed behind our 40 ft diesel pusher motorhome. It will also be our EDD, (every day driver). I'll also note (PE) next to items if my reason for choosing a particular mod was having had experience with it on my prior setup.

Next week, the following will get installed.

BFG T/A KO2 load range E, 275/65R 18 tires (found a $50 off coupon on a set of four) (PE)

Roadmaster tow brackets & electric wiring for flat towing behind moho. (PE)

Invisibrake Aux braking system for flat towing behind moho (PE)

Air Bags (undecided Air Lift or Firestone), prior rig had custom Alcan spring pack, which I ma eventually do on this truck.

More as it happens

Edited by larryqp, 28 August 2019 - 04:07 PM.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#2 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

That will be a nice combo. What engine is in the KS? (I have a '04 Country Coach, 80 series Lexus as a toad)

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#3 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:48 PM

Cummins 330 hp

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#4 Andy Douglass

Andy Douglass

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:01 AM

I've read you mention your setup a few times since you posted about your accident and I am totally curious. Why do you have a FWC on your tow behind vehicle? Not being critical in any way, just curious about the logistics. I've seen people (Mali Mish) tow a small trailer behind their FWC/Truck, but I don't think I've ever heard of a FWC/Truck being towed behind a motorhome.

#5 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:16 AM

Andy,

My wife and I are full-time RVers, and have been for over 21 years. We live in our 40ft motorhome the way most people live in their house, except we can move ours anytime we want. We need an everyday driver, hence the pickup truck, we also want to overland adventure and get into the back country to fly fish, hike and camp, hence the FWC on the truck.

We are very, very comfortable in the motorhome, and have all the luxuries, so it isn't camping to us, its living. When we hit the road 20 + years ago, we had a pickup, and a tent, sleeping bags etc and would camp that way. Now we don't want to sleep on the ground anymore, but still want to go where our motohome can't go.

You're right, there aren't many like us, lots of RVer's tow jeeps, go 4 wheeling and then go back to their motorhome, I home it stays that way. LOL Less is more!!!!!

Hope that helps

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#6 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:23 PM

update

1) The following Installations were completed on Friday

Roadmaster Tow brackets and wiring for towing 

New safety cables

Invisibrake auxiliary tow brake 

Air Lift air suspension system, with manual independent inflation.

2) I have been very confused about the payload of my F150, I have read numerous charts online, checked the door stickers, owners manual and finally after getting the truck weighed, I think I finally pinned it down, albeit, not entirely happy about it.

So I initially thought based on research that my payload was 1,660 lbs, my door sticker says weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed 1544lbs. When I weighed the truck with a full tank of fuel, with my wife and I in the cab the CAT scale read 5320 lbs. My GVWR is 6500lbs minus 5320 leaves 1,180 lbs for the camper and gear. My best guess for the weight of the Hawk shell and options is 1095 lbs based on the FWC website info. Its gonna be tight. Leaves me 85lbs for food, clothing, beer. OUCH! Just another reason for me to go on a diet and lose some weight. LOL

I'll wait until I weigh the truck and camper on a CAT scale. But I think the custom Alcan spring pack will be in my future. My guess is I will probably be about 100 lbs or so over the GVWR when fully loaded for camping. But still well below my 8,000 lb towing limit for my tow bar on the motorhome. But glad I opted to get the auxiliary braking system.

The insurance money spends faster than it takes to get it.

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#7 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:40 PM

That Kountry Star is not going to like you out West.  :lol:

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#8 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:02 AM

Oilbrnr

I should be okay, the 330 cummins on the Kountry Star didn't even know the Ranger/FWC combo at 5880 lbs was back there, but time will tell if the F150/FWC combo at 6500 + lbs will make a difference.

Luckily, once we retired we don't do as much driving in the Kountry Star. Our work on the road had us moving every two weeks from one assignment to another. Now the retirement plan is to stay put in the Kountry Star much longer at places and use the F150/FWC to spend more time in the backcountry.  But I could be that guy you're stuck behind and cursing going up the the big rocky mountain passes. LOL

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#9 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

ANOTHER UPDATE

1) Yesterday, 4WP installed 4 BFG AT KO2 tires. I lucked out with an online deal. 4WP was running a $50 off deal on 4 tires, so I ordered them online the Thursday before Labor day, 2 hours later I received an email from 4WP saying "we pay the tax" so I called the online sales person and was told the local shop where I planned to have them installed would honor that, just call them. So I did and they said yup we will honor it and owe you money after the install.

I was still a bit leary, but to their credit, when I arrived yesterday morning, the counter guy said my $90.86 sales tax credit was already on my invoice. So ultimately I saved $140.86 on a set of 4 tires. Hats off to 4WP for honoring a deal after already making the sale. When I shopped around for these tires, everyone except 4WP were within pennies of each other.

2) I had a Tire Tracker TPMS system on my previous Moho/Toad combo, to monitor the tires on the ranger while being towed behind the Moho. I was able to salvage 3 sensors from the wreck. So I purchased 3 more sensors, I now have 4 for the toad tires and 2 for the airbags. I installed the air bag sensors yesterday and places the monitor in the cab of the F150. Works like a dream. rather than manually checking the air bag pressure, I simply use the auto reset function and get a read out of the each air bag pressure. The sensors were also on sale for $35 each. Since I already had the system, I thought $70 was a good investment to protect the airbags. Much cheaper than the built in compressor system.

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

#10 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:28 AM

Today, I finished my backseat undelete, basement storage, grill and leveling block storage and Elfa Cabinet system install.

The backseat on the F150 supercab folds up completely and the floor is flat, so I elected to leave the seat in place and install a 6 inch high "basement", behind the driver's seat. I carpeted the entire surface, its practically invisible from the outside.

I purchased a an Elfa drawer system from the Container Store and attached sidewalls, top and bottom directly to the frame and covered the entire thing with the same carpet as the basement. The back and sidewalls are made using pegboard. I wanted a little ventilation and the carpet is unbacked. I don't expect a lot of airflow through the carpet, just didn't want anything airtight that might trap moisture.

The cabinet door was stained to give it a more "finished" look. That photo is it the next post due to upload limits.

Seat undelete.jpg Basement storage.jpg Drawer system.jpg

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F150, Hawk Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users