12 replies to this topic

#1 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 04 September 2019 - 12:53 AM

Today I was going to install the propane door (tall narrow version)  in the same place I installed one on my last camper (2002 FWC Hawk)  - on the driver’s side next to the back door.  I discovered to my dismay that the framing is different on my Puma.

Hawk framing

gallery_6362_1323_604700.jpg

Puma framing

gallery_6362_1323_417675.jpg

Now I am wondering if I can cut away enough of this framing to install my door, without compromising the integrity of the camper.  I’ve marked up the picture showing the 3 pieces that need to be cut out.  I could add in a section of the thicker vertical (closest to the door) tubing across the top of the opening to reinforce it.

What do you think?

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:02 AM

Why wouldn't they be different?  One's an ATC, the other a FWC.  Call Marty and ask about the integrity of the wall, he can answer your questions.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:15 AM

Why wouldn't they be different?  One's an ATC, the other a FWC.  Call Marty and ask about the integrity of the wall, he can answer your questions.

Plus 1... Marty or Jeff are your best bets for an accurate answer.

I am haunted by waters

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 04 September 2019 - 01:23 AM

Having seen so many frames welded up at the ATC shop, I have complete confidence in their knowledge about strength, design, and longevity, in how to put a frame together. They are also extremely helpful with sharing that knowledge. I echo what Bob and Sage have said -  (800)-446-1003

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 06:01 PM

Thanks for the encouragement to call them.  I sent them those pics yesterday as well, which made calling Jeff today a whole lot quicker/easier as he could "see" what I was talking about.

In short, Jeff assured me that my plan would work.  Well, I have to laugh... he said "You can cut anything you want..." with a hint of sarcasm in his voice before he added  "But I would sure want to reinforce that area too"

My plan of using a piece of the thicker bar left over from the surgery to reinforce the section horizontally at the top should be sufficient.

Cutting happens tonight!

#6 ClimberRob

ClimberRob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:06 AM

How did this go?

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:57 PM

Went pretty well as expected.  Scary to start, but once into it, I was committed.  I used a variety of drill bits, sheet metal sheers, pliers, and a Sawzall, and the primary too, my jig saw.  Difficulties came where there were spot welds, and corners to shape with not enough room for the jig saw foot to rest on the sheet metal.  Plus there is JUST enough room between the remaining structural vertical members for the door itself.

Hole marked out

opening marked out

Pilot holes drilled

pilot/test holes drilled

Rough hole cut

rough hole cut

Door mounted.  Sealed with white Butyl tape.  I used Dicor lap sealant on my Hawk and didn't like how it discolored and showed on the outside.  Tape is much cleaner, and the excess butyl is easily trimmed back

Door mounted

Dual bottles placed.  Simple holes in a chunk of plywood help position the bottles so they don't touch.  I added eye hooks and bungee cords later to hold them firmly in place.

dual bottles in place

Single bottle in process afterwards... whew!

Reward

#8 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:21 PM

I've been considering doing the same on my Hawk so I can replace the horizontal tank with a standard 20lb. Vic, can you please provide the source for the new door assy. Are you planning on sealing the compartment air tight to prevent propane from leaking into the interior of the camper? 

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:23 AM

I got my door from FWC.  ATC sells them too.

Good eye on the lack of sealing.  Since the pics were taken, I have installed a propane detector and sealed every seam in that box area.  

I tested the propane detector, and was surprised by how bad a "leak" needs to be to set it off.  I tested it because I can smell something in the cabinet that holds the stove, but it is nowhere near enough to set off the detector.  I guess my nose is hyper sensitive!

#10 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 15 September 2019 - 03:57 PM

Do you have a pic of how you 'reinforced ' the area where you cut out the framing?

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users