89 replies to this topic

#81 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 22 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Looks like only a week or so before Winter is here. :)

Forecast for Bend, Oregon, for next week:attachicon.gifIMG_20191121_223422.jpg

On the positive side: If the fridge is too full of pre- and post-TDay food it can be stored outdoors.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#82 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:16 AM

Looks like Fall might just get out of here with a bang -

Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
200 PM PST Sat Nov 23 2019

...A significant winter storm likely to impact the region during
peak Thanksgiving holiday travel...

.A strong upper low is expected to reach the northern California
coast by Tuesday. Heavy snowfall is likely by Tuesday evening and
continues through the overnight hours and into Wednesday. Snow
combined with breezy conditions may significantly reduce
visibilities. Accumulating snow is likely down into the upper
foothills, potentially lower. Hazardous mountain travel with
significant delays is possible. Snow showers will continue through
Thanksgiving Day, possibly into Friday.

CAZ014-066>069-241200-
/O.CON.KSTO.WS.A.0014.191126T1800Z-191129T1200Z/
Burney Basin / Eastern Shasta County-
Northeast Foothills/Sacramento Valley-Motherlode-
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the cities of Burney and Grass Valley
200 PM PST Sat Nov 23 2019

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING
THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT ABOVE 2500 FEET...

* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Plan on difficult travel
  conditions, including during the evening commute on Tuesday.
  Several feet of snow will be possible above 4,000 feet with
  accumulations expected down to the upper foothills.

* WHERE...Burney Basin / Eastern Shasta County, Northeast
  Foothills/Sacramento Valley, Motherlode, Western Plumas
  County/Lassen Park and West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada.

* WHEN...From Tuesday morning through late Thursday night.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Significant reductions in visibility are
  possible. Downed trees and power outages possible.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Winter Storm Watch means there is potential for significant
snow, sleet or ice accumulations that may impact travel. Continue
to monitor the latest forecasts.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#83 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:00 PM

Yep.   SR and I are monitoring the conditions, and plan on crossing Donner Summit on Wednesday early morning.

We're headed to Benton for a couple of days (with a small turkey to bbq).  I'm making my wild porcini mushroom gravy today to bring along.

I put my Voile snow shovel (big metal blade and extending handle) and chains back in the camper yesterday.  I've never chained up with a 4wd, especially the Tundra with BFG's but, better safe than sorry.    Once we're on the East Side I don't worry too much.

Happy ThanksWinter!

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#84 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:30 PM

Tuesday we are supposed to get snow here in the northern part of the east side (for the 2nd time this year)-where did Fall go? It seems like one day it was hot and sunny, then in one fell swoop all the leaves fell and I had to get the poach wood pile ready in case we lose power.  I don't about you guys but I'm not ready for the snow yet, I already want it hot again, so me and the timber dog can hike and camp without a coat and I don't need to use my new Winter boots :rolleyes: . Well since that will not be the case, time to hang that new storm door and get ready the watch the 49ers do their thing!  Happy Turkey Day to all!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#85 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:49 PM

Sounds like soooo much fun and so delicious! 

I hope I've not jinxed the storm. The tractor's all chained up, snowblower mounted, and we're putting up the snow poles along the road.

And, there's a turkey in the fridge now.  :) 

Yep.   SR and I are monitoring the conditions, and plan on crossing Donner Summit on Wednesday early morning.

We're headed to Benton for a couple of days (with a small turkey to bbq).  I'm making my wild porcini mushroom gravy today to bring along.

I put my Voile snow shovel (big metal blade and extending handle) and chains back in the camper yesterday.  I've never chained up with a 4wd, especially the Tundra with BFG's but, better safe than sorry.    Once we're on the East Side I don't worry too much.

Happy ThanksWinter!

#86 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 25 November 2019 - 02:09 AM

Tomorrow I will secure my Diestel 'petite turkey' as Callie and I are the only carnivores on this trip.  

I did my porcini gravy tonight and the truck is loaded up, with full propane bottles for the FWC camper and accessory 2 gal. bottle for Webber Q. By carrying the 'steak saver' adapter, we've got a backup if the main 5 gal bottle fails us.   We've been to Benton before when I couldn't get our heater fired up, and it was 15F, which is the projected low.  Redundancy is the name of the game.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#87 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:16 AM

Hey Andy here is the forecast for Benton..  Going to be 8 degrees for low.  hot tub soaking and a camper heater and pleanty of good food!!! Enjoy..  hwy 120 might be closed and have to go through Bishop.

https://forecast.wea...96#.Xdtjj-hKhpg

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 26. West wind around 5 mph.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 51. Windy, with a north wind 15 to 20 mph increasing to 25 to 30 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 50 mph.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 17. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
Tuesday
A 30 percent chance of snow after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 43. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the morning. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow likely, mainly between 10pm and 4am, then snow showers after 4am. Low around 22. South wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Wednesday
Snow showers. High near 36. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Thanksgiving Day
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33.
Thursday Night
A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8.
Friday
A slight chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 33.
Friday Night
A slight chance of snow showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 7.
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 36.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12.
Sunday
Partly sunny, with a high near 45.

Edited by pvstoy, 25 November 2019 - 05:18 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#88 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:01 AM

Possible 38" of snow here -

Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 28. Northwest wind 7 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight.
Tuesday
A 40 percent chance of snow after 10am. Increasing clouds, with a high near 40. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southwest in the morning. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
Tuesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 29. Breezy, with a south wind 18 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.
Wednesday
Snow before 10am, then snow showers after 10am. High near 32. South southwest wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow showers. Low around 24. South wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
Thanksgiving Day
A 40 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

goodbye Fall :)

#89 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:49 AM

38”...   heck, that’s not even four feet.   :rolleyes:

I am haunted by waters

#90 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:58 AM

I committed Tuesday morning at the Rim Trail office South Lake Tahoe to winterizing 4 chainsaws and then a group of us inventory grip hoist equipment and ordering for next season.  Why did we pick that date?  I'm sure I'll be in a snow storm heading over Spooner Summit when done.

If it all comes together we are going to get snow, a fair amount at our house plus they are predicting a extra bonus of lake effect snow coming off Lake Tahoe toward us. Yea.... 

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users