• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

Looking for recommendations on a easy, quality, and moderately priced camera. Uses would be for scenery, and all around use. Currently using a I-phone. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Wayne

#2 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:26 PM

It's hard to know exactly what will fit your needs until you start trying out different combinations of cameras and lens. That's how people end up with 4-5 lens or more and are constantly looking for their ideal system. It took me many years and $1,000s of dollars to figure what kind of photographer I was. I've used just about everything from medium format, 35mm, rangefinders, and pocket camera's in both film and digital. For the past 2 years I've used my Iphone 8 almost exclusively. I'll be upgrading to the IPhone 11 Pro which will have 3 lens including super wide angle. Image quality is very satisfactory and the video is fantastic. Future generations of the Iphone will probably have more aperture/shutter speed control as well as improved image quality. This probably won't help you get started in your search if you're determined to buy an outfit. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction. Good luck!!

Edited by Ronin, 17 September 2019 - 07:29 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:26 AM

I believe your best option, assuming there is a quality camera store near you, is to go in and talk to the sales person. Tell them your budget, what you want to do, talk about the conditions you’ll encounter, and ask which cameras and lenses that meet those needs. You may be able to do that via chat with a big seller like B&H, but there is nothing better than face to face with a good sales person.

I am haunted by waters

#4 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:34 AM

It's a big photo world out there, with phones stepping up, and mirrorless cameras competing with the DSLR market.

There I go using lingo.  

It really depends on what you want to do.  If it's for web use and documenting your travels, there's many good point & shoot models that fit in your pocket.  Better cameras cost and weigh more.  How much do you want to spend and carry?

I used dpreview.com to learn about the basic choices and check reviews when I got serious (again) fifteen years ago.  WS suggested BHPhoto and I have had excellent relations with them, as well.  I use them to benchmark pricing, specs quickly.  

Also, should be mentioned, how do you want to organize your photos?  If you do start shooting, it's mighty handy to have a photo editor / file manager.  I use LightRoom.  Others use their operating system folders to organize their images.  YMMV

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#5 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:27 AM

I 2nd Lighthawk :)

It would help to know what you think moderately priced is. $400, $1000.....? I have over $10,000 in gear and some I know would put me in the moderately priced range....lol

Micro 4/3 is a nice carry size with interchangeable lenses and I have seen some of the older models go very reasonably priced. B&H is also my goto and have been using them for years. Even bought a laptop from them.

If you are just doing an online presence a smaller sensor should be fine. If you want to print big things like one of your fantastic landscapes you will undoubtedly get then 4/3 or larger would be my choice of sensor. 

Mirrorless is in my opinion the way to go for a travel camera. Lighter and if using a 4/3 or crop (DX) sensor the lenses will be a bit smaller. They also do video well :)

Dpreview, The Camera Store and Jared (Fro knows Photo) are 3 of my favorite review places. Nice to see them in use and get opinions on them. Camera store is your friend if you can find one.......

Good Luck!

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#6 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:06 PM

Looking for recommendations on a easy, quality, and moderately priced camera. Uses would be for scenery, and all around use. Currently using a I-phone. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Wayne

Wayne there are some great advice given above.  I'll approach at a different angle. Knowing you are using a I-phone and can obtain good images.  Understand that the I-Phone is doing all the image processing for you.  At what level of experience and willing to take on the role of processing images are you comfortable doing yourself?  I got asked the other day that this person bought a digital camera and is disappointed with the results.  I explained that the camera collects the image but then the camera is the processor and poops out a JPEG. There are settings in the camera that the user needs to set up for saturation, contrast, sharpness etc that the camera uses to make the output.  Those cameras are more controlled by the user...you.

You must pay attention to how you want the image to be on the output jpeg and make the necessary camera adjustments.

The other part of the camera are the settings for shutter speed and how much depth of field (aperture) and exposure compensation you want. Do you understand this relationship or willing to learn?  Do you really want a camera that is all automatic and just want to press the button and get a pretty picture?  We can get into capturing "RAW" images and you are the photo dark room to do all the editing adjustments.

These are some of the questions only you can answer and know your capabilities and willingness to learn new things.

I would suggest visiting a local camera store with trained people that know cameras and can spend some time understanding what each camera system requires and is this right for you.

Visit a local camera club and ask questions with experienced users.

Search the web for answers also.

It all comes down to you and what is best for you.  We can't answer that question, only guide you and answer your further questions.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#7 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

M4/3 is the answer.

#8 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:31 AM

A couple of years ago I decided to get a real camera.  The last camera I owned was a film camera and I lost it about 30 years ago.  I decided to get a Sony RX100-II. A pocket camera that shots RAW.  No interchangable lenses.  Simple right?  Wrong.  I was totally unprepared for the steep learning curve on how to use the camera and how to process the RAW files.  I'm still learning.  Plan on having time to learn the new digital world.

Although it was frustrating at first, I'm enjoying the camera and having fun trying to take the perfect picture. 

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#9 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

Any thoughts on upgrading to the iPhone 11? I love the ease of using my current iPhone 7. Not sure I what to spend a lot of time learning the camera tech stuff. Comments appreciated.

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 September 2019 - 03:27 PM

I’m still using an iPhone 6+ for a lot of my snap shots, and it gives good results, so I would expect even better from the new phone. My biggest complaint about the iPhone and other cameras that are live view only is live view itself. I truly prefer having a viewfinder, as I find them easier to use than holding a shaking camera/phone at arms length while trying to frame the shot. I don’t think it matters if the VF is optical or electronic. Holding the camera to my eye is far more steady.

You never know, you might enjoy the tech stuff.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users