53 replies to this topic

#11 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:24 AM

I'm rough on my gear and my Nikon D3000 was not enjoying trips in the Jeep. I'll still use it and of course the phone camera but for carrying in the Jeep and hiking I picked up a used Nikon 1. Waterproof to 15m and shockproof to 2m its rugged enough for my abuse and still offer some more flexibility than a phone camera. Now it is discontinued due some manufacturing difficulties so you take some risk on whether or not you get a good one. Lack of a viewfinder is annoying though.

https://en.wikipedia.../Nikon_1_series

If I were starting over I'd certainly consider a mirrorless camera.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

Weight while hiking is a big factor for me. I love my Olympus Omd-EM1, and usually have the big 12-42 (24-84) pro zoom attached to it. Even though it’s a 4/3 camera, That’s still a heavy lump.

Last month we were in Utah and I had the joy of rupturing my appendix. After emergency surgery, I started hiking again and only carried my iPhone8. Not great as far as cameras go, but it made me wonder, if i am carrying it already, do I really need/want another camera on my back?

#13 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

Weight while hiking is a big factor for me. I love my Olympus Omd-EM1, and usually have the big 12-42 (24-84) pro zoom attached to it. Even though it’s a 4/3 camera, That’s still a heavy lump.

Last month we were in Utah and I had the joy of rupturing my appendix. After emergency surgery, I started hiking again and only carried my iPhone8. Not great as far as cameras go, but it made me wonder, if i am carrying it already, do I really need/want another camera on my back?

Sorry to hear about your recent heath episode and hope you're back to your old self or better! As with all camera's there's a learning curve. Once you figure out what your IPhone can and can't do and just shoot within it's capabilities I think you'll be quite pleased with the results. I'm more than happy to ditch the 3 1/2 lbs plus camera bag and related accessories.

Pic of my better half in New Zealand taken with Iphone8.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   163.35K   19 downloads

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#14 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:26 PM

Thanks Ronin,  doing well health wise.    The iPhone is amazing, especially the panorama feature.  I like controls, manual is better than auto for me, regardless of what we are talking about.  So I like my Oly camera.  I am exploring lighter/smaller prime lenses to cut down the weight even more.

#15 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:37 PM

I have been using PhotoShop since the mid-1990's, LightRoom for a decade and some other more sophisticated software the last couple of years. I always shoot RAW, have a couple of dozen or so lenses and a dozen camera bodies. In spite of that I suggest you stick with the I-phone or a rugged compact camera that has some pretty good auto modes for shooting people, scenery, beach, snow, indoor, sports and even underwater.

Almost no one has the time, money and and sheer foolishness to do as I and a small percentage of other photographers have done. We have given up thousands, or tens of thousands of hours doing this photography thing -- most people have better things to do with their time. 

But if you really want to dive into the dslr and RAW shooting world, PM me. I will be happy to talk about it.

My photos: https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

Edited by AWG_Pics, 20 October 2019 - 11:14 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#16 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:03 PM

I have been using PhotoShop since the mid-1990's, LightRoom for a decade and some other more sophisticated software the last couple of years. I always shoot RAW, have a couple of dozen or so lenses and a dozen camera bodies. In spite of that I suggest you stick with the I-phone or a rugged compact camera that has some pretty good auto modes for shooting people, scenery, beach, snow, indoor, sports and even underwater.

Almost no one has the time, money and and sheer foolishness to do as I and a small percentage of other photographers have done. We have given up thousands, or tens of thousands of hours doing this photography thing -- most people have better things to do with their time. 

But if you really want to dive into the dslr and RAW shooting world, PM me. I will be happy to talk about it.

My photos: https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

Welcome to WTW.  You’ve got some nice images out there.  Ever shoot at Ridgefield?

I am haunted by waters

#17 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Wandering Sagebrush. I do shoot at Ridgefield. Some of my best raptor photos are from there. It is maybe 25 minutes north for me. It is getting on to be a great time to capture the fall migrants. The last couple of years I go to Sauvie Island to shoot the sandhill cranes. Amazing birds. Now that I am retired, I am hoping for much more birding and geologizing time.

You guys have a great site here at WTW. When I get my Hawk in January I will have to go through the mods thread again. Just packed with great information!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

#18 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 October 2019 - 11:16 PM

Up until about 3 years ago, I was a regular at Ridgefield, and one of the Admins for the Ridgefield Group.  I lost my mind and started upland hunting again with bird dogs, and have drastically slowed down my photography.  Having the refuge closed during the week doesn’t help either.  Here’s a link to my Flickr stream:

https://www.flickr.c...tephen_parsons/

Go back a couple of pages, or look at my most popular images in the “About” area to get into the area that reflects my more active photography.  We also have a photography forum here on WTW.  Let’s have a cup of coffee one of these days and swap lies.

Steve

At Ridgefield (and apologies to the original poster for the hijack)

6702376321_789275e044_b.jpg

I am haunted by waters

#19 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:42 AM

Up until about 3 years ago, I was a regular at Ridgefield, and one of the Admins for the Ridgefield Group.  I lost my mind and started upland hunting again with bird dogs, and have drastically slowed down my photography.  Having the refuge closed during the week doesn’t help either.  Here’s a link to my Flickr stream:

https://www.flickr.c...tephen_parsons/

Go back a couple of pages, or look at my most popular images in the “About” area to get into the area that reflects my more active photography.  We also have a photography forum here on WTW.  Let’s have a cup of coffee one of these days and swap lies.

Steve

At Ridgefield (and apologies to the original poster for the hijack)

6702376321_789275e044_b.jpg

Amazing pics! Thanks for sharing! Wildlife pics are a real treat!

#20 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:02 AM

You have a great flickr stream Stephen! And I notice you shoot some great nikon bodies. My current favorite 3 are the D4S, D500 and D810. You shoot at least two of those. I do love the D4S. It is almost magical how it grabs great shots from almost any subject.

Years ago I used to bird hunt when I lived in Montana. Still have a couple of family heirloom shotguns, a 12 and a 20, and I guess a 410 too. Just now thinking about it and doing the math, that was, gulp, 30 years ago. Wow, how time flies!

I would like to meet up for a cuppa joe sometime. I live in NE Portland, there are a number of fine coffee places in that area, like most of Portland, that are not part of some big corporate chain.

You are right about ridgefield being less accessible with the bridge build going on. It looks sunny this coming weekend, so I likely will try to get there on Saturday at about the time they open the gate.

I love that coyote shot.

Tony

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users