• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

I recently installed these bags on my F-150. No compressor and individual fill lines at the rear of the truck. The lines and fittings are fine but both bags have slow leaks. The driver side leaks top and bottom at the mounting plate rubber connections. The passenger side leaks at the bottom plate rubber connection. I’ve sent Hellwig pics and they will warranty the bags but no labor!😡Not happy about getting stuck on the labor. Also the bags are on back order going on three weeks. Expecting delivery next week. Hellwig offered to send new lines and fittings. I’m wondering how common this type of leak occurs on all bag brands? And do other brands offer better compensation for this type of product defect. I can’t believe that the quality control measures allowed these to leave the factory. Comments welcomed.
Wayne
3733-C715-18-EB-43-F9-994-F-007-E7-C5-E5
D8-F48575-9-E0-D-459-F-9-E9-B-7-FDB8844-
9-AAA327-D-B396-4-A45-BC56-51-BB5-EF1-B2

#2 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:40 PM

This seems to be a hit or miss across all the brands. I had AirLift on my Dodge for 20 years, not one problem. The AirLifts on my Chevy have a very slow leak driver’s side. Disappointed to hear about the labor issue. Were they installed by a dealer or in your driveway? Seems to me that if they were dealer installed somebody would cover the labor if within the warranty period. Good luck.
Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#3 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

I had a local shop install I furnished the kit. There are no dealers close to my location. I would have installed myself but was on amend from hip surgery. I will change out the bags myself when they arrive. If the second set leak they are going back for a refund. I asked a local spring shop if they sold and installed bags. His response was no they have to many issues getting payed for warranty labor. I will update when the new bags are installed.

#4 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

I've had no issues whatsoever from the Firestone airbags (with Daystar cradles) on my Tundra. Going on 3 years and 40K km, including heading up The Dempster, and multiple off road excursions in all 4 seasons up here in BC. I use the airbags to help fine tune the camper leveling, and will also adjust pressure in the airbags depending on the added weight I may be carrying.

Edited by trikebubble, 16 September 2019 - 06:51 PM.

#5 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:32 AM

I've had no issues whatsoever from the Firestone airbags (with Daystar cradles) on my Tundra. Going on 3 years and 40K km, including heading up The Dempster, and multiple off road excursions in all 4 seasons up here in BC. I use the airbags to help fine tune the camper leveling, and will also adjust pressure in the airbags depending on the added weight I may be carrying.

May change to Firestone if the Hellwigs don’t work out.

#6 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:28 PM

I had a brand new firestone airbag with a pin hole in it. Sealed it up using Stans no tube bicycle sealant. It worked great. I had bought my Firestone airbags thru Amazon, and they replaced everything no problem, but I still had to change it out myself. Being that I was the one who did the original install.

#7 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:16 PM

I have had two sets of Firestone air bags on two different trucks.  I changed the airlines to standard commercial lines so all is not quite stock.  But I have not had a single leak in 200,000 plus miles of use with them.  Install was easy, just did it myself both times.  The first set carried a lot of weight over some very rough roads so have been pretty impressed with them.

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:35 AM

Hi WjColdWater

I have had a very slow small leak on passenger side with our hellwig bags searched and searched, redid the air lines ( removed cut line back and reinstalled) finally called manufacturer they sent me a new one. Sorry to hear of your troubles I think they are a good product, like that they operate at low pressure. Don't get discouraged, air springs are used a lot in the commercial side of the world. Out of curiosity what pressures are you setting them at?
Warranty labor is a tuff market, manufacturers are constantly trying to protect themselves from companies quick to blame the product. Our Suburban water heater had a bad board. I went to several of Suburban distributors which they provided the name to me. Each one wanted me to pay for the repair and the contact Suburban for the out of pocket expense. Not gunna happen!!! Calling Suburban back and explaining what their distributors were doing might have helped. Kinda hard for them to fight me when I had names dates time and the name of the person who helped me. One guy even provided me a quote on their letter head. Finally got Suburban to send a board after I sent the faulty one to them.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

Hi WjColdWater
I have had a very slow small leak on passenger side with our hellwig bags searched and searched, redid the air lines ( removed cut line back and reinstalled) finally called manufacturer they sent me a new one. Sorry to hear of your troubles I think they are a good product, like that they operate at low pressure. Don't get discouraged, air springs are used a lot in the commercial side of the world. Out of curiosity what pressures are you setting them at?
Warranty labor is a tuff market, manufacturers are constantly trying to protect themselves from companies quick to blame the product. Our Suburban water heater had a bad board. I went to several of Suburban distributors which they provided the name to me. Each one wanted me to pay for the repair and the contact Suburban for the out of pocket expense. Not gunna happen!!! Calling Suburban back and explaining what their distributors were doing might have helped. Kinda hard for them to fight me when I had names dates time and the name of the person who helped me. One guy even provided me a quote on their letter head. Finally got Suburban to send a board after I sent the faulty one to them.
Russ

Russ, I do like the low pressure and the overall hardware on the Hellwig bags. It will work out I’m sure soon. I’m glad I can finally be able do my own projects after hip surgery. They leak slowly so I have been able to use the rig as is. Just another bump in the road to navigate. I really like how our F-150 handles the camper with them. I have the bags set to 20 psi when I’m traveling with the camper. With the E tires and bags it’s a dream to drive. My wife just drove seven hours home on a recent trip in MI. She has no problem handling the setup and has adjusted to the load. Very happy with the entire package.
Wayne

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

Air lines are often the culprit when it comes to slow leaks.  Most often, leaks are a result from lines not squarely cut and flush inside fittings.  One has to ensure air lines are squarely cut.  Tube cutters are the only tool to use IMO.  Even then, you have to be careful not to compress the plastic tubing as you cut as this will result in out-of-square cut.  Box cutters, tin snips, etc will not likely make a square cut.

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users