• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Seitel

Steve Seitel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:08 PM

"I've been a "lurking" member of wtw for some time now, and have benefitted greatly from the accumulated wisdom and experience of this group. Thank you all for that.

I am "taking the plunge." Here's a first look at the new rig I'm putting together.

gallery_9628_1363_136489.jpg

The 2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 FX4 was special-ordered from the Ford factory in Michigan. The FWC Fleet Shell model came direct from the California factory and was installed here by the local dealer, Steven Wilkerson of FWC Bozeman.

It's a pretty basic shell, but there are a few key options: 160W solar with dual AGM batteries; side dinette configuration; and (important in Montana) the propane furnace and Arctic Pac liner. In a weak moment, I added the Fiamma awning as well, despite my intention to keep weight down in deference to the Ranger's 1508 lb payload.

The camper as delivered weighs 1156 lbs, including the options. This sagged the rear suspension nearly three inches (!), so I added AirLift 57234 air springs to return it to nominal. This takes nearly 50 psi pressure. To top up the air springs (and for "airing up" tires), there is an ARB CKMA12 high-output (3.2 cfm @29 psi) air compressor mounted in the the only available space in the Ranger's crowded engine compartment, a small "hole" directly behind the left headlight. The wizards at Mike's Off Road here in Bozeman managed to shoehorn it into place with a custom bracket.

gallery_9628_1363_109366.jpg

Door threshold height is 41+ inches! I demonstrated to myself that yes, in an emergency, I can get in and out again without a ladder, but it was an ugly process. A rickety stepladder helped, but didn't feel very safe. I installed Brophy AS04 aluminum scissor steps and now, every time I go up or down, my seventy-five-year-old arthritic bones say “thank you!”

gallery_9628_1363_181509.jpg

Folded, the Brophy steps ride securely in the porta-potty pocket.

gallery_9628_1363_124332.jpg

The OME tires are Hankook Dynapro AT-M. I negotiated with Ford to replace them with BFG T/A KO2 in stock size (LT265/60R18) as a condition of sale and I suppose one of these days that will actually happen. I'm a big fan of 10-ply rated LT tires, having had lesser tires fail in some rather awkward places over the years.

There remains (at least) one big problem that I don't yet have an answer for. I hope the experts here can offer some suggestions. What's the best way to replace the rear-view camera functions that were lost when I removed the tailgate? FWC doesn't have a backup camera adapter harness for the new Rangers yet, and so far Ford is being cagey about sharing the tailgate harness schematic. I'd prefer something that ties back into the Ranger's monitor, if only to silence the nagging nanny that reminds me "No camera is available" every time I engage reverse,

Has anybody got a good answer for this? 

I haven't tried her out yet, not even in my own back yard. I will soon, and I can hardly wait. I'm still sorting out the interior storage options, developing the stocking list, etc. I have no shame when it comes to stealing good ideas from others so if you see your work mirrored here, well...thank you!

Steve

Edited to clean up the pictures and (I hope) the fonts.

Edited by Steve Seitel, 20 October 2019 - 08:20 PM.

2019 Ford Ranger/Fleet shell. Under construction.

2013 Toyota 4Runner "Fargo." Daily Driver.

2008 Casita Spirit Deluxe "Taffy." SOLD

1999 Toyota 4Runner "Bone Stock" SOLD

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

Looks nice. Welcome to the forum. How heavy are those steps? I am thinking about getting a set.

As for back up cameras it can be a real pain unless your savvy with wiring. Hopefully somebody has already done the leg work to figure it out for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

What I did with my F350, prior to knockoffs being available was order a replacement tailgate camera and wiring.   I put it in a plastic box and made a mount to go under the rear of my Northern Lite.  I think the camera and harness came to $130.  You might be able to do that with your Ranger.

i noticed your steps.  I used an Otto Step on my old Ranger and Bobcat.  On the new CC Ranger, I’ll probably use it again if I can find a camper I like.

Airbags?

I am haunted by waters

#4 Steve Seitel

Steve Seitel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

Kolockum: I measured the weight of the steps right at 15 lbs. Very sturdy product.

Brophy steps: https://www.crbrophy.com/stairs.html

Sage: I'm willing to strip the camera and harness out of my tailgate (good idea) if I can figure out how the locking latch logic (in the same harness) wants to be satisfied. The Airbags are LoadLifter 5000 Ultimates, with internal jounce buffers so they can be run deflated if desired. The kit number is 57234.

AirLift: https://www.suspensi...ord-ranger.html

Thanks for the welcome!

Edited by Steve Seitel, 20 October 2019 - 08:09 PM.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:56 PM

Welcome and thanks for posting about your new Ford Ranger setup with camper!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:56 PM

Steve,  if it were me, I’d just buy a new one and keep the original healthy.

I am haunted by waters

#7 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:19 PM

Congrats, on the purchase! FWC/Ford is a great combo! Happy camping! 
Wayne

#8 geologyjohn

geologyjohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:46 AM

Hi Steve. I have a 2017 F-150 carrying a 2017 FWC Hawk. What I did was to go to the Ford dealership and buy an OEM tailgate camera and tailgate harness. IIRC they come as a package. Mine was around $170.00. Prior to removing my tailgate, I lay beneath the rear bumper and reach up and unsnap the tailgate camera harness from the part of the harness that remains with the truck. Then simply remove the tailgate with the original camera and harness as one unit. I then made a small aluminum box (smaller than a gold ball) and put the new camera in it, attached it in a protected area near the rear license and fed the new camera harness through the same hole (near the license plate) that the original tailgate camera harness was located. Then simple clip the new harness onto the original truck mounted harness. And you are good to go. I think that it took me longer to type this than do the new camera install. Well maybe I’m exaggerating that last sentence. Anyway, it’s easy.
Welcome to the club, Geologyjohn

#9 Steve Seitel

Steve Seitel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

Sagebrush, Geologyjohn...excellent advice. Thank you. I'll try that approach.
Were there any aiming or field-of-view issues with your installs?
Steve

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:56 PM

Sagebrush, Geologyjohn...excellent advice. Thank you. I'll try that approach.
Were there any aiming or field-of-view issues with your installs?
Steve

Yes, mostly because the camera is much lower than it was on the tailgate.  Regardless, it works and is nice to have.

edit:   I also had the camera upside down on the first try.  Test before you secure things.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users