• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 FiremanWanderer

FiremanWanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2019 - 10:30 PM

I am ordering an ATC Panther in the spring. Would love some advice! What are some build options you love, some options that you wish you would have done? Or options that you didn’t like or didn’t end up using? We are excited but want it to be perfect. And we know we are working with ATC so we will be taken care of.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:03 AM

I sold my ATC Bobcat earlier this year because I ordered too much stuff on a small camper.  When I was done, I didn’t have enough room for my German Wirehair Pointer, gear and me.  If I were to build another, and I think I will, it will be an ATC and it will be a shell model with furnace, stove, Yakima tracks and a lot solar and battery capacity, and not much more.  I will use my Engel chest style fridge/freezer for the cold stuff.  Probably will build out a counter down the driver side, and not much more than that.  Crates for storage, camp chair for sitting, and a wag bag toilet.

I don’t know what you will want, but my next camper will be spartan, and it will be an ATC.

I am haunted by waters

#3 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:32 AM

FiremanWanderer,

You can't go wrong with an ATC.  Check out my Panther thread which explains some of the decisions I made when ordering mine.  The Panther was a replacement for an older FWC and I based a lot of my decisions on that experience.

http://www.wanderthe...anther-is-born/

But keep in mind that not everyone has the same needs.

My camper SmugMug pictures are here - https://jimj.smugmug...My-ATC-Panther/

Things I love about my Panther - 

1) The storage cabinets ATC added for us.

2) The width of the Panther

3) The solar

4) The TruckFridge

5) The SMEV sink combo I ordered and had shipped to ATC

6) The lift struts 

Things I wish I added when I ordered it - 

1) Prewired for solar ( 10G minimum 2 wire)

2) Fiamma awning

Edited by jimjxsn, 22 October 2019 - 12:34 AM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#4 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:43 AM

I realized that I had another post, http://www.wanderthe...-drawing-board/ when I was going through what you are going through  :)

Here is the configuration I ordered.  Except I decided on the SMEV sink stove combo after they had already started on mine.

Panther: Full Size - Short Bed 6.5'

Power Roof Vent / Fantastic Fan 3 Speed / Reversible

Furnace

Electric Water Pump

Additional Roof Vent

Mechanical Jacks With Brackets- Set of 4

Auxiliary Battery System

Awning Light – Passenger Side Only

Clear Slider for Screen Door

LED Flood Lights

Slide Out for Extended Bed

110 Volt System

Roof Lifting Gas Struts (set of 4)

Yakima Tracks: Full length

Customizations:

no stove

no ice box

add closet with single shelf in place of ice box left rear

add rear corner passenger side tall cabinet like in a Cougar (make bench shorter to accommodate)

Best of luck and hope this helps...

Edited by jimjxsn, 22 October 2019 - 01:44 AM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#5 FiremanWanderer

FiremanWanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:40 AM

That’s helps a ton! Thank you for sharing, we have a similar tundra so that will be very close to what we want. In the beginning phases of designing while we keep saving up so anything helps!

#6 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 October 2019 - 12:55 AM

Hello and welcome Fireman !

We have an old FWC. The interior and layout look similar to the Panther. Only option I regret not getting was the the Arctic Pak. I don't know how much difference it would have made to us over the years but I'd rather have had it to try rather than never knowing.

Wasn't an option but I would have also liked a rear awning.

Because ATC does custom work I'll mention a few things...

I'm short and find the counter a bit higher than I'd like (YMMV).

These are small campers and storage is often wanting. Looking at the Panther interior the front wall, under the front window, is crying out to be used. If you have plans for that area, fine. If not I'd consider having a small bench made with seating on top and storage below. I think this could work in the Panther but stove access might be an issue.The L shaped seating we have allows one person to lounge E-W across the front and the other N-S along the side. This works pretty good in a small space.

Also I'd consider inquiring about additional, shallow cabinets on the side wall, either side of the window. Again, for storage. Or maybe you have plans to store gear there ?

The take away here is I think it's worth thinking about what you will be bringing and where you will put it. Also where you will put yourselves, when inside.

If you haven't done a lot of truck camping before it can be tough to "get it right the first time". I'm just putting some ideas out there. Whichever way you go, it will be a great camper. Don't let the little things get in your way of enjoying your adventures.

#7 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:20 AM

Hello FW
We commission our Cougar 2016 got pretty much everything plus shortened the couch bed enough for a porto potty.
They don’t do water heaters but they were gracious enough to frame and plumb gas and water lines. We also had the camper framed for the a/c unit and wired with 120v. Bought the winter pack couple years later. Yakima tracks full length for solar. I would not get a sliders window again, but use it for ventilation all the time. Would suggest have them do all the solar and use a single 100ah lithium. Save weight and space. They also built the shelf where they would have put the refrigerator, we bought a Engle mr40 I believe is correct model fits perfectly. Might also reconsider the cooking top to one that you can use inside or outside.
Hope this helps some photos in the gallery. ATC is so easy and upfront can’t say enough good about them.

Russ and Syma Avatar1571800838.354682.jpg
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#8 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:15 PM

panther - 1.jpg I had my Panther Shell built this summer. My goal was to have as much interior space as possible. My options started with the 2 burner stove and propane cabinet. Marty prepped the cabinet for me to install a propex furnace which I did as soon as I got the camper home.. I ordered side dinette seating and provided the Lagun table pedestal. Marty built a bench seat/cabinet across the front of the camper for the aux battery system ( I provided a 100ah Vmax battery) and storage on either side of it, I ordered the 2" higher side panels and had the bed side rails installed in case I want to add the extended bed later. I really like a lot of natural light so I ordered a drivers side window. Other interior options were fantastic fan, additional non powered roof vent, and a 2nd set of usb plugs. I have a 120W flat panel solar charger so Marty installed the exterior connectors on the roof and passenger side of the camper. I had them install a drain outlet in case I decided I needed to add a sink at a later date. I also gave them the pigtail that they wired up for my Truckfridge that I later installed next to the propane cabinet. Marty also made an extra table top that I installed next to the stove for a little bit of counter space for meal prepping.  The only exterior options were ATC can holder and Rotopax gas can. I installed a ss spigot on the Scepter water can which I use for my water supply. I wish I had the 2 cans installed on opposite sides because ATC's back door opens to the passenger side vs my old 4WC's door opening to the left. Last option was passenger side awning light. 

So far everything functions exactly how I envisioned. I made 3-4 trips to ATC as they were building my Panther. That way I could sit in it and make little tweaks like where to place the usb plugs, the extra drain, frig wiring etc. Marty and crew were great to work with. I don't know where you live but I'd be willing to meet you at the factory so that you can see my Panther's layout before you place your order. Just PM me. Great choice going with ATC!!

Attached Thumbnails

• panther - 1 (1).jpg
  • panther - 1 (2).jpg
  • panther - 1 (3).jpg

Edited by Ronin, 31 October 2019 - 10:24 PM.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#9 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 03 November 2019 - 10:23 PM

Hi,

Our build started out different from the start.

7ft wide by 9ft long flatbed.

cabinets/counter height, depth etc I hate hunching over to wash dishes/cook.

No dinnette

fridge on a slide out under two massive drawers

At the time the stove and sink were reversed from how I wanted them, 

Two propane tanks

Marty and Jeff were awesome to work with, every one of my ideas the went above and beyond to accomodate

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#10 Seahaul

Seahaul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:20 AM

Hi,

Our build started out different from the start.

7ft wide by 9ft long flatbed.

cabinets/counter height, depth etc I hate hunching over to wash dishes/cook.

No dinnette

fridge on a slide out under two massive drawers

At the time the stove and sink were reversed from how I wanted them, 

Two propane tanks

Marty and Jeff were awesome to work with, every one of my ideas the went above and beyond to accomidate

Pics?? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users