• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:35 AM

Opinions on this chip on the passenger side. I have no experience with chip repair. This chip has short cracks that will probably grow this winter. Will the fill repair stop the crack from growing? How invisible will the repair be? Option #2 just replace the windshield? 

3-B3735-D7-B115-4-F85-A80-B-3-B0-BD28-C1
Wayne

#2 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 26 October 2019 - 09:35 AM

I have three different chip repairs on one Ford F-150 front window and no problems.  The repair guys told me the "crack" should be less than 1/2" for a 99% success rate and less than 3/4" for a 75% success rate.  They said they do not repair a crack over 1".  My 3/4" repair worked and they said they would refund my money if the repair failed.  My window repairs each cost $50 +/- while a new window was around $300.

Thanks for the information. Probably try the repair first. Heading to your state fishing this week. 
Wayne

#3 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 26 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

USAA offers free chip repair through Safety Lite Glass Company which I have used about 6 times.  Twice, I have had the windshield replaced due to larger chips/cracks.

Each time, I was told by the Safety Lite repair technician, most chips can be repaired if damaged area is less than the diameter of a US Quarter.  A larger sized chip can sometimes be repaired but in most cases, cracking ("spider webbing") will begin to occur.

Wayne, I think you're looking at a replacement based on my past experiences.  If your insurance carrier doesn't offer free repair, I would just put the coin towards a new windshield.

Edited by Advmoto18, 26 October 2019 - 12:18 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#4 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 12:02 PM

What would be the reason to not try the repair first? If it doesn't hold you can always replace the windshield. 

My two cents

#5 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:04 PM

That's an easy fix for a DIY.

I carry Permatex with me everywhere, I think I now have at least 4 bullet/chip fixes on my windshield...

https://www.amazon.c...t/dp/B000ALJ4MY

#6 Arctic

Arctic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 11:41 AM

I realize this is an old thread and you have no doubt already resolved your issue but maybe can help future members.

I have used DIY products from Permatex successfully as well. I buy from NAPA.

Now my auto insurance policy offers free chip repair service and it has prevented the chips from growing...but as mentioned, you need to catch them early for best results. A quarter diameter or less for highest success. I have watched the Techs perform the repair and the most important thing is to take your time and do a good Prep of the surface and make sure to really fill in all the crack.

I have Rain-X on my windshields and you have to remove that first! Also be sure to tell the Tech you use a windshield treatment.

Edited by Arctic, 02 January 2020 - 11:45 AM.

#7 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:48 AM

I realize this is an old thread and you have no doubt already resolved your issue but maybe can help future members.

I have used DIY products from Permatex successfully as well. I buy from NAPA.

Now my auto insurance policy offers free chip repair service and it has prevented the chips from growing...but as mentioned, you need to catch them early for best results. A quarter diameter or less for highest success. I have watched the Techs perform the repair and the most important thing is to take your time and do a good Prep of the surface and make sure to really fill in all the crack.

I have Rain-X on my windshields and you have to remove that first! Also be sure to tell the Tech you use a windshield treatment.

Thanks for your response. I just had the chip repaired from a mobil company. The repair turned out satisfactory and hopefully it will stop any further cracking. 

#8 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:25 PM

I just would replace the windshield. You don't realize how pitted your old windshield was until you get a new one installed. I've paid as low as $150 and never more than $250 (FJ Cruiser) for one and they will come to you.

CWDT

#9 Arctic

Arctic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

Sometimes a replacement window will be of a lesser quality than the original and this is why you can find a bargain of $150 installed.

These differences may not be immediately apparent.

Those in the trade discuss the pros & cons here:
https://info.glass.c...ermarket-glass/

Edited by Arctic, 04 January 2020 - 08:32 PM.

#10 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 06:17 AM

Sometimes a replacement window will be of a lesser quality than the original and this is why you can find a bargain of $150 installed.

These differences may not be immediately apparent.

Those in the trade discuss the pros & cons here:
https://info.glass.c...ermarket-glass/

Yes, I know that and never buy the low cheapest ones. I just ask my guy to give me one from the same maker as the OEM windshields. Seems quite a few come from Pinkerton.

CWDT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users