Photo
- - - - -

Prospective buyer here. Will a base F150 and a FWC Shell model work?

Ford F150 FWC Four Wheel Camper Shell

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 24 November 2019 - 09:19 PM

So I did take a new F150 on a test drive at the Ford dealer.  They didn't have anything I would buy nor am I ready to buy but I did test drive the 3.3L regular cab short bed 2wd. At least this gave me a baseline comparison.  I thought the truck was plenty powerful for the smallest lightest wheelbase with a 1990lbs max payload. With airbags and E tires etc, a FWC Hawk Shell (940lbs) would make a fine, low cost, compact turtle home for one guy and a minimalist amount of gear and provisions. As soon as you add 4WD, the payload drops forcing you to get a longer wheelbase and bigger engine and lots of upgrades if you want max payload. Everything in small space design is a compromise. You want more of something, then you have to subtract from something else.

I was rather disappointed at the quality tho, the dash on this new truck was all warped and bubbled on the passenger side. The outside looks great but the interior has major QC issues. The salesman pretended not to hear me comment on it. I googled the issue and apparently its very common with Ford barely acknowledging the problem, a class action is in the works  Really makes me rethink wanting a Ford. I looked at used F150s online and there are some good low mi deals but wow, the interiors all look really worn out.

So I looked at a Nissan Titan XD v8 4x4 King cab with 2500lbs payload. The base model S comes standard with loads of options, the design and quality of the interior was superior and they offer a 5y/100k warranty included. As a small business owner they give all sorts of discounts. Just sayin. If a 1/2 ton truck needs upgrades and a 3/4 seems overkill, then this tweener option is worthy of consideration. 

I guess this thread has gone off topic from FWCs to trucks but at least I'm sold on an FWC! I am leaning Hawk shell now as more cab seems better than more camper. Long bed Scab with a Grandly shell is the best of both worlds but seems too long.  Anyway, I'm waiting till the 2020's come out and then we'll see.

hmmm interesting.. I have noticed the newer fords that I have been inside of (2015 and newer).. feel cheap.. I actually bought mine (2014) as a leftover when the 15's came out. I didn't care for the new look and got a screaming deal.. My dash sits in the colorado sun all the time and no issues..

I recently test drove a 19 f150.. didn't care for it at all. I know people rave about the 10 speed transmission, but it felt clunky to me.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#42 natetripsus

natetripsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:37 PM

OK so we visited FWC in Woodland CA yesterday. I only intended to take us (gf and 2 dogs) on a drive to Winters CA to get a one last taste of the Fall colors when I realized FWC was only 15 min away! My gf refused to believe this was an accident as I'm always dragging her to RV and truck dealers. 

It was especially important for her to see these things and the potential we'd have for adventure. Glad we did as she absolutely loved the FWCs. We've looked at all sorts of TTs and nothing seemed quite right plus we'd have to rent a storage space.  We looked at Class C RV's and we like the space and amenities but those are just too obtuse a vehicle to live with.  Anyway, FWC wins!

We were lead about by Mike and here are our takeaways:

-FWCs rule because they hold greater resale value, are in demand and you can always sell the truck separately.

-You can always get a new truck later and keep your FWC

-We decided on a Hawk instead of a Grandby. The extra 18" of camper isn't worth having to get an extra long truck now or in the future. Shorter wheelbase is always better. There will always be more 6.5' beds available. There are presently lots more half-tons with 6.5' beds on the used market, many with low mileage. Very inspiring. 

-We're sold on a shell model mostly for cost but also weight and we like the openness. The heater and thermal pack is a must but we are undecided on the stove. Makes sense to get one as you already have propane built-in.  I like the flush mount one but as my partner pointed out, you'd have to use only small pots and pans. The cheaper Suburban stove seems like it would accommodate larger cooking vessels and the side panels would prove useful as well.  We liked the side-dinette or couch option but not the price so we'll pass on those and figure something out later. Besides, the camper will be mounted full-time an can be emptied to save weight. Probably will get Yakima tracks only and we're undecided on the additional vent or fantastic fan since that can be added later. Maybe well get the extra driver side window too. 

I also learned from Mike that my original idea of getting the regular cab short bed truck (as discussed in my OP) would work well with a Hawk. They have higher average payloads, the small engines would work OK since there's less truck. He thinks its be a cool looking rig (the impression I got) and I'm really into the shortest wheelbase for getting around town. I could make this work, but the Supercab is still better and my partner is totally not into the regular cab idea but she doesn't have to drive it around the city. Also its a way cheaper truck.  The Hawk on the Rcab 6.5' bed (122" WB) kinda reminds me of a Bronco with an FWC. 

But its all gonna have to wait a while. We need to survive the holidays and see how the financials work out in the new year. 

#43 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:16 PM

Thx for the update. I like the way you are approaching this and think your method will serve you both very well. Step by considered step, together you'll get to where you want to be.

Only thing I can add re cab size and shell is to think carefully (and  I know you will) about what stuff you might want to bring and where you would carry it. Then leave a little room for future changes. Here you have an advantage over some new camper buyers because of your past experience.

And don't forget about where are you are going to store all this stuff when not using it.

Good luck and keep us posted !

#44 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:43 PM

All very good points! This is the second truck my camper has been on. 

The only thing I would add is get at least an extended cab. I find the space behind the front seats is the only place to keep quick access items (food, jackets, cameras) and heavier items (tool kit, hitches, some recovery gear, additional cooler and water).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#45 natetripsus

natetripsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 10:45 PM

All true. 

So far the Supercab is wining. A valuable space at the cost of a slightly longer WB.  We're hoping the dogs can ride in the rear with the seats folded up (put down doggie beds). Dakota, our older male Lab prefers open window access otherwise he whines incessantly, then maybe some day packs and smaller items. With the reg cab, the dogs would have to ride in the camper, which is a nice space for them unless its too hot or cold outside.  Yes, a crew cab 6.5' bed is another option but I'm really trying to avoid more truck.  Hoping the Supercab/Hawk is the "Goldilocks" choice.

We're considering a hitch mount cargo box, the kind that swings away to use as a junk trunk. Camping gear, firewood, whatever we don't need inside. Can be removed.  Inside will be folding table and chairs, duffels or big packs for clothes and personal items. The FWC shells have narrow storage bins along each side "bench" much to my pleasant surprise- great for small items, utensils, tools, canned food... 

We envision a removable bin to store most everything (food, cookware etc) or maybe a wooden trunk or footlocker. A custom set up made from 80/20 products will come later.

We already have a 12v compressor fridge/freezer, a yeti gz 400w and solar panel, a Big Kahuna 4gal shower, and more misc camping crap than Ill probably ever use,

I'm trying to think of some kind of attachment points to secure items in the camper. Folding table against the wall, hanging hooks

etc. 

#46 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:17 AM

I think you will be very happy with a F150 supercab and Hawk, its a great combo. In case you haven't seen my thread, you may want to check it out:

2016 F150 FX4 & 2019 FWC Hawk shell build out

sorry I couldn't figure out how to post the link but its on this site 

Good luck making everything work.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#47 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 01 December 2019 - 04:53 AM

I hear your concerns on longer wheelbase trucks.. but.. honestly as a driver of a crew cab 6.5 bed F150 as my daily driver, you just get used to it.. and get really good at parallel parking. 

We have two dogs.. I wouldn't want them riding in the camper.. the truck is only 1 foot longer than a supercab 6.5.. What is great is there is lots of room on the floor and then the dogs beds go on top. Our older dog is almost 11, he needs to be comfortable for longer rides.. I recently though about downsizing (the crew cab was great when the kids were young, but they are teenagers now with their own cars).. but after test driving and looking at the supercab, I just felt the dogs would be really cramped.. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#48 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:30 PM

All true. 

So far the Supercab is wining. A valuable space at the cost of a slightly longer WB.  We're hoping the dogs can ride in the rear with the seats folded up (put down doggie beds). Dakota, our older male Lab prefers open window access otherwise he whines incessantly, then maybe some day packs and smaller items. With the reg cab, the dogs would have to ride in the camper, which is a nice space for them unless its too hot or cold outside.  Yes, a crew cab 6.5' bed is another option but I'm really trying to avoid more truck.  Hoping the Supercab/Hawk is the "Goldilocks" choice.

We're considering a hitch mount cargo box, the kind that swings away to use as a junk trunk. Camping gear, firewood, whatever we don't need inside. Can be removed.  Inside will be folding table and chairs, duffels or big packs for clothes and personal items. The FWC shells have narrow storage bins along each side "bench" much to my pleasant surprise- great for small items, utensils, tools, canned food... 

We envision a removable bin to store most everything (food, cookware etc) or maybe a wooden trunk or footlocker. A custom set up made from 80/20 products will come later.

We already have a 12v compressor fridge/freezer, a yeti gz 400w and solar panel, a Big Kahuna 4gal shower, and more misc camping crap than Ill probably ever use,

I'm trying to think of some kind of attachment points to secure items in the camper. Folding table against the wall, hanging hooks

etc. 

We use a Stowaway 2 Swing Away Hitch Rack.  I have it setup so I can take our Tractor Supply Truck Tool box mounted to the hitch rack or we can carry our bikes and a hitch basket instead.  For carrying bikes or using the basket, I remove the four bolts holding the tool box and re-install the basket and bike rack.  The Stowaway site lists just the swing away hitch rack at 47lbs.  The truck tool box adds another estimated 50lbs.  I then pack it carefully with the only heavy item being my Honda 1000 Generator at 28lbs.  The rest is just light stuff as I don't want anymore weight then necessary on the rear.  Not the best picture but kind of shows the box in the swing away postion.

gallery_8354_1238_3731964.jpg

Jon

FoxenTec

#49 natetripsus

natetripsus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:23 PM

We use a Stowaway 2 Swing Away Hitch Rack.  I have it setup so I can take our Tractor Supply Truck Tool box mounted to the hitch rack or we can carry our bikes and a hitch basket instead.  For carrying bikes or using the basket, I remove the four bolts holding the tool box and re-install the basket and bike rack.  The Stowaway site lists just the swing away hitch rack at 47lbs.  The truck tool box adds another estimated 50lbs.  I then pack it carefully with the only heavy item being my Honda 1000 Generator at 28lbs.  The rest is just light stuff as I don't want anymore weight then necessary on the rear.  Not the best picture but kind of shows the box in the swing away postion.

gallery_8354_1238_3731964.jpg

I still love the look of a regular cab + FWC. It just looks so clean and efficient. If it were just me...

Hitch box is a must.

Attached is a little Photoshop composite I made of my original idea. But yeah, more usable space is always better.

2lJRRF6Or345Em_o5oD3-m8IX9ePV29a5_FF_pEh

#50 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:47 PM

I remember camping at June Lake back around 2014 on our motorycle.  Fairly small tent and minimal sleeping pads due to space constraints with camping on a bike.  We stopped for lunch near the campground and an older Toyota pickup with a FWC parked next to us.  I commented to my wife that someday that is what we need.  Perfect for getting to out of the way spots, no towing and a place to sleep above ground with a few amenities.  

Jon

FoxenTec

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ford, F150, FWC, Four Wheel Camper, Shell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users