Rear seat removal

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:09 PM

Thinking about removing the rear seat and building a platform/ shelf unit there. Would appreciate seeing any pics you might have of remodels of same. thanks

#2 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 09 November 2019 - 04:58 PM

Here's my '19 Tundra DC setup. I wanted to preserve the floor space in front of the cabinet for camp chairs, backpacks, groceries, etc so I dimensioned the cabinet with that in mind. I'm still debating whether to take out the 1/3 seat but so far haven't felt the need to. Don't know if this is the kind of ideas you're looking for.

Attached Thumbnails

• dc - 1.jpg
  • dc - 1 (1).jpg

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#3 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 09 November 2019 - 06:22 PM

Took out Access cab rear seats and mounting hardware [creates a lot of room..] and I am using large rubbermaid boxes plus numerous items across below the  truck rear window [window is unobstructed so I can see out the Hawk door window to the rear and access the cab from the Hawk] ...I number the boxes and have a complete inventory list that I update before every trip for the '05 Tundra and the Hawk...so many "items" ferreted away in all the various nooks and crannies that I need the list to quickly retrieve what is needed. 

We each develop our own storage plan that best suits our needs and it will undergo revisions over time!

Phil

Edited by Wallowa, 09 November 2019 - 06:22 PM.

#4 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 08:19 PM

I have an 06 Tundra DC and am in the process of designing a platform in place of the rear seat. It will be the same height that it is with the back seat folded flat. And then have a drawer on either side.

Ronin, hope mine turns out as nice as yours.

Edited by windy, 09 November 2019 - 08:21 PM.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:11 AM

From the first truck that carried our ATC Bobcat,08 Ford Ranger Supercab now a 2002 Tundra AC,we have used the rear seat area for storage.

On the Tundra after removing the seat I made a platform from 1/4" finished plywood.Attached to the original bolt holes

as the seat.

Using 2 plastic "file" bin drawers ,one on each side facing out and another 2 drawer in the middle. We each have the 3 drawers to hold our clothing and other personal items. Very easy to get into.

I have made it a quest to find storage in our rig.We try to carry as little as possible,but what we need.

Mostly utilizing all the available space.

Our campers are a challenge for storage.With only 2 persons it's not hard .

A space for everything and everything in it's space.

We due tend to take longer trips of several weeks but we also keep in mind that there are stores out there.

We mostly carry items ,especially food that we need and may not find but shop along the way.

I'll try to get some photos posted.

There are some in other posts but wouldn't know where to find them.

If you go to truck mods Nov last year there are some pictures of my setup.

The cooler isn't used there anymore.A 2 drawer plastic unit is in its place now.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Optimistic Paranoid

Optimistic Paranoid

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 02:02 PM

Like Wallowa, I'm planning on a simple platform and Rubbermaid totes.  I'm also planning on putting a divider net between the front and the back for safety reasons.

https://raingler.com...ier-divider-net

Oddly enough, Truck Camper Adventure just did an article on a backseat drawer system.

https://www.truckcam...torage-cabinet/

Regards

John

Rule #1 For Wandering The West: DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

I Don't Like To Make Plans.  They Cause The Word "Premeditated" To Get Used In Court.

My Body Is A Temple!  Ancient, Falling Apart, Probably Cursed . . .

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:59 PM

Here are photos of what I have done for storage on our camper/truck.

IMG_4343.jpg   Looking forward Truckfridge/step stool

IMG_4342.jpg   Right rear,side 2 drawer storage non perishable food.

IMG_4341.jpg   Right front,small 3 drawer for night cloths,lights.books

IMG_4340.jpg   Slide out basket under sink all cooking gear.

IMG_4339.jpg   Another view 2 drawer storage

IMG_4338.jpg   Center 2 drawer storage in truck/tray on top.

IMG_4337.jpg   Passenger side 3 drawer clothes storage with a open storage on top

IMG_4336.jpg   Drivers side 3 drawer clothes storage/fishing gear behind.

All my fishing gear fly rods/float tube/backpack with waders/fishing vest are stored inside the rear of the truck.

Under the center storage is a space for the 3 ton mini floor jack/tire changing gear.

Also not shown are 2 plastic tubes 4"/5" under the overhang of the camper.One right side

one left side.

Also leveling blocks stored against the 8"exposed side of the rear of the camper.

I have tried to use every good space in the camper to store items.

Seldom used items go in the "tie down" areas.

I hope this gives some idea as to how/where to use the space.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 10 November 2019 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the link to the box build!

Like Wallowa, I'm planning on a simple platform and Rubbermaid totes.  I'm also planning on putting a divider net between the front and the back for safety reasons.

https://raingler.com...ier-divider-net

Oddly enough, Truck Camper Adventure just did an article on a backseat drawer system.

https://www.truckcam...torage-cabinet/

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 Missing Link

Missing Link

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFoothills of the Southern Sierra

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:39 AM

While our solution is nothing particularly unique, it works very well for us.  I have a platform across the back that is constructed in two sections.  On the platform I stack color coded Rubbermaid containers which are light weight, nest nicely and are easy to move around.  Below the platform  I carry two folding chairs, a CLAM screen house, and a variety of long thin items such as trekking poles, two small shovels, extended handle window squeegee, flash lights, an off road bottle jack, etc.  The platform is in two sections for this reason: like Ronin, I too left the 1/3 seat in place.  In the folded position it doesn't take up too much space and on several occasions I have had the need to carry a passenger in the back.  When that happens, I simply remove the platform on that side so the passenger has foot room and away we go.  On the rare times that that has occurred, I have stored the items removed for a passenger in the camper temporarily.      

Attached Thumbnails

• Ford Interior #2.jpg

2017 F150 with 2017 Hawk

#10 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:09 PM

As wallowa has mentioned, we keep an "idiot list" for camping. One list that includes our personal items as well as everything else we take with us from food, clothes, pot & pans, to matches, bricquettes and tools. It includes where it is to be carried, in the truck or in the camper or in my Bantam 1/4 ton trailer I sometimes take with me. The truck is basically for extra clothes, extra heavy or light jackets and space for dirty laundry to go. Things you need only get in there for maybe once a day.

As they say, "A place for everything and everything in its place!" So I also have a "map" of the overhead compartments and under sink/seat locations, etc. so things are where you look for them the first time when you need them. Rolling into camp as it gets dark and setting up is much easier if you know where things are.

The other day I ran across one of my covered "Tupperware" bowls (actually two nested together) I had washed when I got back home and somehow neglected to back into the camper....needless to say, it made it back to the overhead compartment it was assigned to!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users