• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#11 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 15 November 2019 - 05:30 PM

I think the electric vehicles are interesting.

I also think that they are not an option for traveling across this country.

I am reminded of a couple years ago seeing a couple and their Tesla at the small convenience store/motel/campground near Togwatee pass. They were forced to stop for the day because they left Casper and did not have enough range to get to Moran Jct.

If I wanted a second vehicle for commuting I would consider electric.

I think for the areas away from metropolitan areas a hybrid could make sense. I don't see the technology becoming mainstream in the short term.

For the way I like to travel, having to stop where there is a charging station is not going to work. I have spent days without going near a gas station, much less a place with a 30 or 50 amp outlet to charge from.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#12 roverjohn

roverjohn

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationKANSAS CITY

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:29 PM

I think the original poster is off by maybe a factor of ten on his timetable and even that would take some luck.

A few things. Fuel for ICE vehicles will stay cheap as it's pretty easy to make so people will keep using ICE cars and buying them. The rest of the world can't afford electric cars or trucks so the mechanism to continue building ICE cars wont go anywhere. And, there is no evidence that there is anywhere near enough lithium available for all the grandiose plans of the electric car folks and that's a pretty important ingredient to your batteries. Copper is becoming in pretty sort supply too and the environmental damage caused by pulling that stuff out of the ground is staggering.

Most of the vehicles purchase today will still be around in 20 years unless they are wrecked so the idea that they will somehow become worthless in five seems absurd. Keep buying stock in Tesla. How could you possibly go wrong.

I've been telling everyone who has asked that we will never run out of 'gas' since the first "crisis" in 1976. I still stick by that and have been proven somewhat prophetic over the last 43 years. The electric people don't seem to understand that liquid fuel can be very environmentally friendly and renewable if we're willing to spend a bit more for it then we do now. And, because it's highly energy dense, it's more practical.

#13 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:40 PM

To answer your question:

an electric truck at current technology would not work for me as a 24/7/365 vehicle.  I would need a second ICE vehicle or be resigned to not having transportation at times and not going some places I currently like to go.

"As best I can calculate it cost $567 total to drive my car last year"

That is your cost.  What you are not including is what driving your car costs me ( a taxpayer ).  Electric vehicles are currently heavily subsidized.  That won't last.

to answer your 'in5 years': 

California can't keep the power on now.  Where are they going to get the addition power to replace all their gasoline powered transportation and how are they going to distribute it.  The infrastructure construction alone is going to take a long time, not counting the permitting fights and tie-ups in the courts.

Most new residential electric is 200W.  At 200W it would take about 12 hours to charge a Tesla for a 40 miles round trip (1.5 miles per KW = 2700 W for 40 miles).  How long will it take to rewire neighborhoods to add capacity, at what cost and who pays?

Multiply the California problems by 50.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#14 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:06 AM

Another point against electric, it takes me at most 15min to pump 30gal of gas, this gives me about 400 mi range.

How long does it take to recharge battery’s for a 400mi range?

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#15 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:10 AM

To answer your question:

an electric truck at current technology would not work for me as a 24/7/365 vehicle. I would need a second ICE vehicle or be resigned to not having transportation at times and not going some places I currently like to go.

"As best I can calculate it cost $567 total to drive my car last year"

That is your cost. What you are not including is what driving your car costs me ( a taxpayer ). Electric vehicles are currently heavily subsidized. That won't last.

to answer your 'in5 years':

California can't keep the power on now. Where are they going to get the addition power to replace all their gasoline powered transportation and how are they going to distribute it. The infrastructure construction alone is going to take a long time, not counting the permitting fights and tie-ups in the courts.

Most new residential electric is 200W. At 200W it would take about 12 hours to charge a Tesla for a 40 miles round trip (1.5 miles per KW = 2700 W for 40 miles). How long will it take to rewire neighborhoods to add capacity, at what cost and who pays?

Multiply the California problems by 50.

You’re way off on residential power, 220v x 200a = 44000w

A 200a service is pretty smalll anymore, I don’t do residential electric but I think 300a is pretty standard now.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#16 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

Thinking about a new truck?    Sure, pretty much every day.

Actually likely to buy one in the forseeable future?    Not likely, and not likely over the remainder of my life.  At 64, I'm not the least bit likely to drop many tens of thousands of dollars into a new vehicle of any type.

Sure seems that battery technology/recharging infrastructure has a loooooooooooong way to go in terms of large vehicle range and recharge time.  My sole brush with what was then cutting edge all electric tech was when one of the earlier Teslas (previous to the lower priced models--when they cost around $175,000 in around 2014-2015) was brought to our vacation home in the Blue Ridge some 200 miles from our Raleigh home. The owner asked if he could plug it in to recharge while there and I told him sure, no problem.  The car had a 252 mile optimal range but with the elevation gain in the last 40 miles + running the A/C he couldn't chance running the entire distance so he stopped in Burlington, NC for a Tesla-sponsored recharge which took around minutes and he could.t stay there long enough for a full charge.  He made the remaining 150 miles without incident.  But once at our place, charging via a 15 amp dedicated circuit was a slooooooooooow process so long story short he had to leave it in the driveway close to the outlet from Friday night until Sunday afternoon in order to get back to a Tesla facility in or close to Raleigh on Sunday afternoon.  He said his average charge time on household current (generally a 15 amp circuit) restored his range at between 3 and 4 miles per hour.  I realize a lot has happened since then but it seems likely that a lot still needs to happen.  And the power supply via the grid has to be far more robust and reliable than it is at present, in all states, especially populous states like California and New York.  Seems that the pushback against electric generation from fossil fuels including natural gas is in direct opposition to efforts to transition to all electric vehicles whose reliance on the grid represents an order(s?) of magnitude increase in demand. I don't have a clue what the answer is, but it sure seems that natural gas and nukes for generation has to be a big part of it.

Foy

#17 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 November 2019 - 04:19 PM

You’re way off on residential power, 220v x 200a = 44000w

A 200a service is pretty smalll anymore, I don’t do residential electric but I think 300a is pretty standard now.

OOPS!  My bad.  Thinking is hard when ones head is full of cold medicine.

Most of the houses in my neighborhood (150 houses, 25 Y.O.) are 100A, with underground power delivery.  Would be quite expensive to upgrade everyone to 200A+.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#18 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 17 November 2019 - 12:33 AM

OOPS! My bad. Thinking is hard when ones head is full of cold medicine.

Most of the houses in my neighborhood (150 houses, 25 Y.O.) are 100A, with underground power delivery. Would be quite expensive to upgrade everyone to 200A+.

If I think about it a house I had in NY only had a 100A service, it was built around 1880, I’m not sure when electric was added but it was knob and tube wiring in a lot of the house.

Here in TN I’d never run my heat pump on that small a service.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#19 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 November 2019 - 08:44 PM

Just an FYI from a recently retired home builder...a “standard” home is usually supplied with a 200 amp service. This usually covers a home up to about 2500 SF.

Most of the homes we built had 400 amp service but were in the 5000 to 7500 SF range.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#20 knoxswift

knoxswift

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • LocationAshburn, Virginia

Posted 17 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

I have been looking for a truck for at least 1.5 years now.
I'm hoping hybrids catch on like the RAM truck system. I like the attempt by Ram but wish it wasn't just stop/start but more like a supercharger...
Funny even though I like the etorque RAM I would still want the 33 gallon tank option.
Overlanding is all about range

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trucks, electric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users