? for tundra / hawk owners

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:40 PM

so after I lift camper and put tail gate back on will i be able to access the hole to remove my spare tire??? if not, what did you do to get at your spare????? thanks

#2 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 598 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:57 PM

When the tailgate is down, it blocks the hole.

On my old 1st gen tundra, I had an extra arm that only went to the rear of the tire that I could attach a socket wrench to. It was a PITA but worked. I never got a flat so, never had to do it for real...

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#3 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:16 PM

Not sure on older ones, but on a 2014, no

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#4 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:25 PM

so after I lift camper and put tail gate back on will i be able to access the hole to remove my spare tire??? if not, what did you do to get at your spare????? thanks

=============================================================

I think you asking if you put the tailgate back on after installing a hawk will you be able to lower your spare tire?

What year Tundra?

On my  '05 Tundra / '16 Hawk it would not be a problem; but wait, you mean having the tailgate in the down position all the time since the Hawk extends beyond the bed?....not getting into why the very heavy tailgate is needed or wanted ....

Edited by Wallowa, 19 November 2019 - 10:30 PM.

#5 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 10:33 PM

=============================================================

I think you asking if you put the tailgate back on after installing a hawk will you be able to lower your spare tire?

What year Tundra?

On my '05 Tundra / '16 Hawk it would not be a problem; but wait, you mean having the tailgate in the down position all the time since the Hawk extends beyond the bed?....not getting into why the very heavy tailgate is needed or wanted ....

That and depending on year, if the camper is sticking past the tailgate, i don’t think you’d be able to get the tailgate back on if you had taken it off prior to camper Install

My 2014 tailgate has to be moved to about a 45 to slide on and off

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#6 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:24 PM

2019 tundra 2019 hawk rollover was told tailgate should be used for support hawk it will cover about 1/2 of tailgate. So guess I'll have to find a tool that works from underneath in times of trouble

#7 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:26 PM

That and depending on year, if the camper is sticking past the tailgate, i don’t think you’d be able to get the tailgate back on if you had taken it off prior to camper Install

My 2014 tailgate has to be moved to about a 45 to slide on and off

Perhaps...but if you lift the Hawk and install the tailgate in the down position and then lower the Hawk into the bed....hell, I don't know...never considered using the tailgate on Tundra for a variety of reason...but that is just me.

Ps...What is a "2019 Hawk Rollover"?  Half the tailgate?  Man the beds must have really gotten shorter!

Edited by Wallowa, 19 November 2019 - 11:30 PM.

#8 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:30 PM

2019 tundra 2919 hawk rollover it was suggested I put tailgate back on for support. Hawk will cover 1/2 of tailgate. Guess I'll need to find a tool that I can use from underneath in times of trouble

#9 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:53 PM

i believe the roolover bed is the model of hawk!!! with tailgate down an hawk on it the hawks last 14 inches will sit on tailgate!!m

#10 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:16 AM

i believe the roolover bed is the model of hawk!!! with tailgate down an hawk on it the hawks last 14 inches will sit on tailgate!!m

Dennis,

Is this the Tundra you have?   "2019 Toyota Tundra the TRD Pro-Crew max with a 5.5' bed".  If so, that is one short bed and 14" onto the tailgate is significant...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users