• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#11 jimjxsn

jimjxsn

• Members
  • 599 posts
  • LocationRoxborough Park or Buena Vista CO

Posted 20 November 2019 - 01:57 AM

2019 tundra 2019 hawk rollover it was suggested I put tailgate back on for support. Hawk will cover 1/2 of tailgate. Guess I'll need to find a tool that I can use from underneath in times of trouble

Yes, with the 5 1/2 foot bed you would want to support the floor pack on the tailgate (or something else).  I had an 8ft long FWC Ranger on my old gen 1 Tundra and that is what I did. It extended 18" past the end of the truck bed and it worked just fine with no issues.

If you can fit a ratchet on the spare tire lowering bar forward of the rear bumper you may be able to lower the spare in a pinch.  I just looked at my Tundra and there isn't any space between the spare and the bumper like on my old one.  You would need to reach over the spare from the side to crank the spare down.

Other Ideas:

1) You also might be able to fabricate a receiver hitch mounted support that would be at bed height and would provide the needed support for the rear camper floor.  Thus eliminating the need for the tailgate.

2) Rear swing away hitch mounted spare tire holder.  Except that it would need an extension past the tailgate.

3) Add front receiver and mount the spare in front of the grill.

4) Build a camper length platform for it to sit on to provide the support needed for the floor.  

Best of luck and be sure to share your solution.

Edited by jimjxsn, 20 November 2019 - 02:00 AM.

~Jim
2000 Tundra AC- 2000 FWC Ranger

2017 Tundra DC - 2017 ATC Panther

#12 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:24 PM

so my story comes a to a end. tailgate on can access my spare tire! all is good!

#13 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:25 PM

Dennis,

Glad you got this figured out!  Enjoy!

Something beyond the access to the spare tire struck me; I had no idea that a 5 foot 6 inch truck bed could be used for an 80 inch Hawk floor tub.  Add 2 inches of rubber bumper on the Hawk against front of bed and that is 82 inches or just short of 6 feet 10 inches.  About 16 inches beyond the truck bed.  My Hawk does carry a lot of weight forward [water/batteries] but the aft section has the frig, heater, stove, 2 propane bottles and large storage box where most of my food is stored.

I probably worry about weight aft of the rear axle and bed too much; but low and centered is my guideline for loading my Tundra, especially since it is marginally a true 1/2 ton truck.  But hey, I love the Tundra and the Hawk!

Phil

#14 rodgepodge

rodgepodge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:55 PM

Found a suitable workaround for my 2017 Tundra Crewmax:

Removed license plate and found two notches in the thin metal behind the plastic license plate mount and bumper trim. Notched one side out even further, to allow more clearance for the tool to be inserted there (instead of the factory access point---which is blocked with tailgate down), sliding just over the top of the spare, and into the actuator to allow for lowering the spare, all with the tailgate down. Not sure of other model years, but for my rig this is working.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2492.jpg
  • IMG_2493.jpg
  • IMG_2495.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users