82 replies to this topic

#41 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 12:11 AM

I am interested if you room for one more. I have a full sized truck with a FWC Grandby. I am reading the Mojave Road Guide. Looks interesting and a little concerning at the same time. Not interested in the water crossing as noted in previous posts. Ford does not recommend crossing water deeper than the axle. Oh well, plenty of places to bailout if necessary.

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

#42 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:54 AM

I'd strongly advise those who do not want to make the water crossings to still drive the length of Afton Canyon. I've heard it called "The Grand Canyon of the Mojave River" and while nowhere near that deep it still is impressive. When the trail climbs up next to the RR tracks to go thru the same notch with them is where to turn around. There is a crossing on the far side of that notch with only a small amount of room to turn around.

A good map will get you out to I-5 at Basin Rd.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#43 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

I am interested if you room for one more. I have a full sized truck with a FWC Grandby. I am reading the Mojave Road Guide. Looks interesting and a little concerning at the same time. Not interested in the water crossing as noted in previous posts. Ford does not recommend crossing water deeper than the axle. Oh well, plenty of places to bailout if necessary.

I drive a F-150........Most likely I won't drive through water w/o walking it before....

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#44 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 28 December 2019 - 02:40 PM

I'd strongly advise those who do not want to make the water crossings to still drive the length of Afton Canyon. I've heard it called "The Grand Canyon of the Mojave River" and while nowhere near that deep it still is impressive. When the trail climbs up next to the RR tracks to go thru the same notch with them is where to turn around. There is a crossing on the far side of that notch with only a small amount of room to turn around.

Good advice..

#45 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 28 December 2019 - 03:43 PM

I'm starting a new job January 13th so in all likelihood am out of the rotation this time around.  Hopefully another opportunity will come up sometime down the line.

Bob

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#46 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 28 December 2019 - 06:24 PM

I'm starting a new job January 13th so in all likelihood am out of the rotation this time around.  Hopefully another opportunity will come up sometime down the line.

Bob

Hope your new job goes well.   Trips can be planned anytime....

#47 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 08 January 2020 - 04:36 PM

Is the turn around near the railroad bridge?

#48 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:42 AM

Is the turn around near the railroad bridge?

There is ample room to turn around before you make the climb up out of the river bed to go thru the notch right next to the RR tracks. If you decide to go thru that notch there is only a little room to turn around before the first crossing, and it is a bit off camber. I'd advise walking it once you get to the cable across the river bed.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#49 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

https://mdhca.org/

Custodians of the Road, they have a post talking about the depth of the crossings and a map of the detour.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#50 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

https://mdhca.org/

Custodians of the Road, they have a post talking about the depth of the crossings and a map of the detour.

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users