• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 09 January 2020 - 04:29 PM

Having read this and many other threads about this, have a question or two.

Any idea what average speed for a safe crossing would be, I understand the bow wake idea, just looking for a little more info. The deepest crossing for us so far has been just below the pinch weld below the door.

Is there any idea of an average depth. 

FWIW, the truck is a 2016 F350 cclwb with a flatbed.

Moderate lift on 35 inch tires, diff breather tubes raised and relocated, another area of concern is the house batteries for the camper are in a tool box behind the driver side of the cab, box is pretty weather tight, but not water proof.

Am planning a trip regardless of crossing.

Too many great posts about it.

Tnx.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#52 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:05 PM

My truck has a 6 inch lift and 35" tires and water came to the bottom of my door, but remember the level changes and could be higher or lower, and there are some tight turns and more water under the train bridge as well. I would mainly worry about how high your intake is. 

#53 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 05:06 PM

You can do a search online, but roughly 5mph or so.  You don't want it to come back over the hood.  If it does, you're going too fast.

Here is a good picture that shows the bow wave and how low the water is at the rear of the vehicle.  It really highlights what you're trying to do, create a bow wave and the water doesn't even come up high enough to reach the doors, or bumper at the rear.  2nd gear, 4-low and just enough to "push" some water.

https://www.caradvic...ater-crossings/

ae0838474cca0314d5e493f3fa10b4d3.jpg

Here is another (although the person may be going faster, or the water is deeper):

https://www.offroada...ater-crossings/

Jeff-WA_Water_Crossing.jpg

Edited by Adventurer, 09 January 2020 - 11:11 PM.

#54 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 09 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

Thanks guys, great info. Slow is always a bit subjective, but 5mph or so is a good starting point. 

Also, yes i worry about air intake height as well. 

A fully watertight raised air intake for a superduty isn't something i have found in the past.

Generally with water, i turn around if it goes above my rock sliders.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#55 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

The Ford Tremor (which hasn't come out) is just a Super Duty with 35" tires (which is basically how they come now if you have the 20" wheel package) which has a fording depth of 33", almost three feet.

https://media.ford.c...ad-package.html

Safari Snorkel (ARB USA) used to offer a snorkel for the diesel Super Duty, but stopped making them because no one with a Super Duty really goes into deep water (I guess).

You can typically drive through water that reaches the top of the tires with your truck, but if the water is moving it'll push your Super Duty down river until it settles at the bottom (ask me how I know...haha).

BTW, I've driven in deep water many times.  The scariest part about it is floating sideways, so don't do that.

Edited by Adventurer, 09 January 2020 - 10:15 PM.

#56 slash2

slash2

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:26 PM

Have you narrowed down the dates yet 5outta6, and/or the number of days on the actual trail? I'm still interested, but tentative depending on my work flow.

/2

#57 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 17 January 2020 - 02:07 PM

I haven't nailed down any dates yet. I'm pretty flexible .     I could meet up anytime  between Feb.- 24 -28th and spend up to 4 days on the trail.

As of now, I most probably would go around the water crossings......

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#58 dscobell

dscobell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:28 PM

Still interested. Feb 24-28th will work for me as would the week before. I will also be skirting the water if it is higher than allowed for my 350.

camper: 2016 Grandby

truck: 2017 Ford F350 CCLB gasser

Callsign: KM6GWU

#59 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 18 January 2020 - 03:28 PM

Is anyone else interested  in meeting up  sometime between Feb 24-28 (2020) and spending a few days on the road....weather permitting...

K6ON  ??

Edited by 5outta6, 18 January 2020 - 03:29 PM.

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#60 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 04:57 PM

Looks like the 24th ~ 28th works for me. I'll check with my ride-along and see if available those dates.

Checked with the bro-in-law ride-along and we're good for those dates.

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users