10 replies to this topic

#1 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:17 PM

I wanted to see if I was up to camping. The hip and sciatica have been improving but very slowly. For some unknown reason I've never done all of hwy 108. I've been a bit past pinecrest for the niagara rim run but never over the summit. Headed out late Friday. Found a bit of snow around Monitor pass. 

KIMG0083%5B1%5D-L.jpg

KIMG0082%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Moseyed on over 395 to 108. Makes highway 4 look straight. No problem finding a place to camp. Everything was deserted. Made it to Kennedy Meadows shortly before losing daylight. Other than maybe a caretaker at the resort there was not a soul around. I didn't think anyone would mind if I camped in the Hiker/Horse area.

KIMG0086%5B1%5D-L.jpg

It was chilly. Heater ran quite a bit. Tested out my new Klymit air mattress. Woke up with it flat. I haven't had a chance to investigate what happened there yet. 

Nice thing having very little traffic. Drove slow and enjoyed the scenery. Found the Columns of the Giants Geologic area. Only a half mile hike but a few weeks ago I could barely walk from the bedroom to the kitchen. I did my painkillers at breakfast (this trip I microwaved dinner and breakfast) and gave it a shot. 

KIMG0088%5B1%5D-L.jpg

It was cold still and I just had on my driving gloves. Mistake there, I could barely get the phone out. 

KIMG0089%5B1%5D-L.jpg

I did violate the leash law. 

KIMG0091%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Poor light in the morning and only the cell phone.

KIMG0090%5B1%5D-L.jpg

The Donnell vista was closed but I don't think I'd have been able to make the hike anyway. Little traffic until I got to the construction area. Passed an FWC going uphill but didn't get a good look (something about not wanting to hit a dozer). Glad I was taking it easy, quite a few spots on the road were frosty. 

Glad I got to hit the road before the snows hit and its closed for the winter.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#2 WjColdWater

WjColdWater

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:48 AM

Sweet report! I can relate to the heath stuff. Our camper is in the barn for the winter sleeping. The salt and chloride road treatments are brutal in IL. 
Wayne

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:10 AM

You are making progress, Craig! That is a nice journey up and over Sonora Pass. The Lady and Trailer Woman hiked south from Carson Pass today. They reported not much wind at all, but cold and a couple inches of snow from that last storm. Thanks for the report!  :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:27 AM

Hard to imagine immigrants taking that route. Brutal. No wind and daytime temps weren't bad but it cooled off quickly when the sun went down. On the way up 50 I saw a pretty good column of smoke, looked like it was east of Pollock Pines. Was there a controlled burn or something?

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 24 November 2019 - 06:08 AM

Craig,

Klymit air mattress did the same to me the first time I used it. There are two valves on different corners. Both must be snapped closed to retain inflation.  

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:23 PM

<snip> On the way up 50 I saw a pretty good column of smoke, looked like it was east of Pollock Pines. Was there a controlled burn or something?

CalFire is burning piles and some broadcast understory burning just south of us along with EID/CalFire burns around the reservoir.

The column is surprising.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:57 PM

Craig, nice TR.  Sorry to hear about the hip and sciatica issues, that can take the fun out of things in a hurry.  I hope it heals completely!

I am haunted by waters

#8 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 November 2019 - 07:08 PM

Good to see you out and about and I bet Riley was glad too!  Boy I can understand when the body parts start to show wear and tear (using the heater allot more is also a tell-tail sign)!  Have not been up 108 for years, thanks for ride along B)

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#9 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:53 AM

Great write up! I hear you on the health issues, my camper has been my chariot recently. Nature is truly the best medicine for recovery.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#10 firemen7

firemen7

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationEscondido, CA

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:28 AM

Thanks craig333 for your posting! I used to head over the pass several times a year when we lived in Waterford.

This was always one of me favorite drives and camping locations

2009 Single cab Silverado Z71 & 2005 Hawk
2018 Crew cab Silverado 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

2020 RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 & 2018 Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users