Photo
- - - - -

Maglite LED Conversion - anyone done it?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vic

Vic

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Locationcamping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

I have a dilemma - I have this older 4 cell D Maglite that I carry in my camper (and the one before it) for years.  The bulb has died though.  I have been considering either going with a new one or doing an LED upgrade for this one, as I'm noticing the old incandescent technology doesn't quite compare anymore.  I like the flashlight though and don't feel a burning need to replace it, so another incandescent bulb is not out of the question if the cost/benefit isn't there.    

That said, the options for a LED upgrade are staggering.  Everything from $11 LED bulb replacements to $100+ massive upgrades.

Just curious if anyone else has done this and what your results were.

Thanks - Vic  

"I took the road less traveled.  Now I don't know where I am"

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel & Hallmark Everest.  (Former Rig - 99 Ram 2500/ 2000 Sunlite Eagle pop-up)

#2 K6ON

K6ON

Old & Soft

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 November 2019 - 03:58 PM

Yes, Did mine several years ago.  If I remember, the LED bulb replacement was around $16.00. Works great..

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD QC 4X4, *1996 FWC/ATC hybrid* *2021.5 GeoPro 19FBS*  "If you can read this, Thank a Teacher.  Because you read this in English, Thank a Vet."

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 24 November 2019 - 04:02 PM

Vic, I’ve replaced bulbs with LEDs in Maglites.  Definitely much better than the incandescent performance, but not as good as a new purchased LED version.   I’m not sure if it’s the LED, or reflector shape or what...

I am haunted by waters

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 November 2019 - 08:30 PM

Likely it is the reflector shape. LED reflectors tend to be much more funnel-like in shape than incandescent reflectors. I'd say that a conversion kit that doesn't include an LED specific reflector should probably be passed over.

Maglights have been a big part of my camping gear for years, but not so much any more. I use Stinger LED Ultra's and Nebo King Slyde's more these days.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 November 2019 - 04:49 AM

I have a mag-lite with a LED light bulb and recently bought a second that was LED from the factory. There is really no comparison as the factory LED is much better. However the LED light bulb is not to shabby and is still more efficient than the incandescent.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 November 2019 - 05:08 AM

More efficient yes but not more throw. My modded incandescent quite outperforms my modded LED mag lite. 

KIMG0101%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Though this mod was bit more than $16.

KIMG0102%5B1%5D-L.jpg

However my LED version I do admit I carry a bit more often.

KIMG0103%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:34 AM

I turfed my maglites and went LED a while back.  Have had good luck with the ThruNite (cheaper) and Nitecore brands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users