61 replies to this topic

#21 JakeSnapper

JakeSnapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 07:16 PM

Thanks Sleddog. That sounds like a cheap easy fix.

#22 JakeSnapper

JakeSnapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:22 AM

Should the hardwood board span the whole side ,along the top of the frame ?IMG_2290.JPG

Also, years ago often times the model year would be etched into the glass windows. I noticed this on the sliding glass window. Would that be December 1988?

#23 JakeSnapper

JakeSnapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:35 AM

Well the photo won’t upload but in the lower left corner of the glass it says:

3ANEL
.............SAFETY
GLASS
SOLID TEMPERED
AS-3 DOT 322 M-1
12-88

#24 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 27 November 2019 - 01:44 PM

-snip-

Also, years ago often times the model year would be etched into the glass windows. I noticed this on the sliding glass window. Would that be December 1988?

Well the photo won’t upload but in the lower left corner of the glass it says:

3ANEL
.............SAFETY
GLASS
SOLID TEMPERED
AS-3 DOT 322 M-1
12-88

Welcome, JakeSnapper.  Best of luck with your build!

I believe that is indeed a date code and it indicates the glass was manufactured in December 1988.  That set of markings is sometimes called a 'glass bug' or manufacturer's stamp or label. 

According to this windshield-markings web site, the AS-3 indicates the position in a vehicle the glass can be used based on it's clarity.  The DOT 322 is the manufacturer code, in this case Janel Glass in Sun Valley CA (Janel is one of four glass companies owned by Hehr International (manufacturer of the window assembly) so that 3ANEL at the top is probably "JANEL".  The M-1 is that manufacturer's code for that particular model of glass.

Note that the windshield-markings table (in the web-site link above) also shows a 'Month and Day of Production' field down near the end.  That's the 12-88 you're seeing.

Also-  you might also look in the driver's side cabover area for a serial number written on the aluminum frame (according to this post by Stan back in 2007)

Also- the photo probably won't load into post 22 because of the 500K limit per post (when using the editor to upload photos) and you already have a nearly-400K photo there.  If you want to upload it, you may be able to go back into Edit mode in post 23 and upload it there (so long as it's under 500K).

Edited by Old Crow, 28 November 2019 - 12:44 AM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#25 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:35 PM

Congrats!

See my build in my signature, similar to yours in terms of condition. I didn't anticipate that I would gut the whole thing and start over, but once I got going it was clear the stinky smell would never come out.. 

Where are you located? I had propane door custom made by an RV siding company here in Denver area. 

Good luck!

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#26 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 27 November 2019 - 02:36 PM

http://www.wanderthe...ect-90s-granby/

I guess its not in my signature..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#27 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 27 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

From my experience don't hesitate to replace all or a section of the floor pack. I did part of my camper and it was straight forward process. It brought a lot of strength and rigidity back to the camper. The only downside is good marine grade plywood can be expensive at ~$80 sheet but is surprisingly light.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#28 JakeSnapper

JakeSnapper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the history lesson Old Crow. I had figured I had made an educated guess on that. I scratched around on the front hoping to find a serial number but it is covered with some sort it insulting tape. I figure it’s doing a good job so I’ll probably just leave it alone and assume it’s an 88 or 89 camper. I’m not super tech savvy but I’ll figure out the issues with the photos.

BBZ, I have read over your build a few times. Great job and good to see someone else running the rig on an F150. Although I really need to knock my wheels from 20s to 17s and get a little more tire. I’m in south east Texas.

Kolockum,
Thanks for the encouragement. A portion of the floor will definitely need to be replaced.

#29 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:00 PM

Re: propane-compartment door

Another possible source is The Metal Company in Arvada, CO (near Denver)

Also--

I have no doubt it's a Four Wheel camper but I've never seen three roof latches across the front like that...

JakeSnapper88HawkLatchesCircled.jpg

Is the center one different than the other two?  

Is there any apparent reason for one to have been added by a previous owner?

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#30 Sleddog

Sleddog

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 27 November 2019 - 06:20 PM

Blow up that photo and it is clear that the center latch is different. On my 83 Fleet there is a bit of a hump in the center of the roof on the front. I have considered a third latch, but there have been no issues as it is so I never bothered. Something I figured I'd look into if I ever got a notion to redo the top. I get the feeling that at some point someone had overly tight latches with something in the way of the top closing properly that created a couple of bent spots.

Edited by Sleddog, 27 November 2019 - 06:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users