43 replies to this topic

#1 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:58 PM

I have not seen this posted but it appears that fwc is developing a minimalistic camper for those who either like that or are concerned about weight...

https://fourwheelcam...odel/project-m/

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#2 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:38 AM

M stands for millennial. It is their target demo for these things. Should be Project - D for dust.

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#3 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:16 AM

Should be Project - D for dust.

That was my first thought when I saw that. Also no insulation against the metal or in my case composite bed. Add to that all the built in drain holes on truck beds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 04 December 2019 - 03:49 AM

We’re working on a couple things to help keep the dust out. But we’ll really see how the campers preform once we have 30-40 out on the back roads camping around. The first models we built were OK, but the engineers are working on improving the rear hatch door before full production happens soon.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:31 AM

Looks like a great lightweight option to me.  Sure beats a lot of things I have camped in over the years.  

Jon

FoxenTec

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:02 PM

If those had been avail. 7 years back, I would have one instead of my Hawk(which I do like mucho). It would have been a better set up on my first gen Tundra, which has been replaced with a F250. 

#7 Espresso

Espresso

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:12 PM

I like this.  I can put a quad or motorcycle in the bed and have a place to sleep at night without having to tow a trailer.  It does mean I would have to remove the toys before bedtime, but that only takes a few minutes.

Hopefully they leave enough room between the mattress and the roof to pre-make a bed.

Edited by Espresso, 04 December 2019 - 04:14 PM.

#8 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 04 December 2019 - 04:40 PM

I like the concept...you can still use your truck as a truck. But I too, am concerned about dust. As demonstrated by several toppers I’ve owned, the tailgate will always be the culprit; and I like using my tailgate for all sorts of tasks. But if this unit were built with barn doors and a frame that sealed the rear I might be tempted to pull out the checkbook. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#9 Oilbrnr

Oilbrnr

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationFlagstaff & Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:32 AM

I might be tempted to pull out the checkbook. 

That checkbook better be busy to Mr. Bonney first Richard.  :D

• 2016 Power Wagon - King/Thuren/Carli/Air Lift/Daystar suspension
  • 2017 FWC Hawk

#10 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:17 AM

Looks to me that it's an FWC that won't overload a Tacoma.  My experience with a Ranger II on a Dakota taught me not to overload my truck, especially for those Baja backroads.  Sealing the dust out would be good.   Also 9 grand for basically a shell is a little high I think.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users