trails

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:40 PM

For those of you who like to use the thousands of miles of dirt trails still left, I would ask that you help keep them open and available by joining the Blue Ribbon Coalition.

https://sharetrails.org/#Welcome

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:23 PM

Thanks, but no.  That is not an organization I support.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 10:48 PM

Care to explain?

#4 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:52 PM

No.

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#5 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 19 December 2019 - 12:30 AM

To quote the BRC website:   "The BlueRibbon Coalition was born in 1987 shortly after Clark Collins, Founder and first Executive Director, was told by then Idaho Governor John Evans that recreationists were not politically significant and implied that Wilderness was more important than motorized access to public lands.  Clark gathered and worked with other recreationists in a huge undertaking to educate all users of public lands in Idaho just how our resources were not being preserved FOR the public, but rather FROM the public. Thus, we have the seeds of what would ultimately become the BlueRibbon Coalition".

Imho, the BRC doesn't come close to embodying the spirit of what wandering the West is about, so I'll join the others above in declining to lend my support to the organization.  I believe there was/is much truth in what Gov. Evans (allegedly) stated.  Again, my $0.02, let the flames begin, hehe...

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:20 AM

I back the Blue Ribbon Coalition. I have seen to many areas closed to any vehicle travel. 

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:14 AM

Not sure how effective they are but yes, blueribbon get my support.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:06 PM

To quote the BRC website:   "The BlueRibbon Coalition was born in 1987 shortly after Clark Collins, Founder and first Executive Director, was told by then Idaho Governor John Evans that recreationists were not politically significant and implied that Wilderness was more important than motorized access to public lands.  Clark gathered and worked with other recreationists in a huge undertaking to educate all users of public lands in Idaho just how our resources were not being preserved FOR the public, but rather FROM the public. Thus, we have the seeds of what would ultimately become the BlueRibbon Coalition".

Imho, the BRC doesn't come close to embodying the spirit of what wandering the West is about, so I'll join the others above in declining to lend my support to the organization.  I believe there was/is much truth in what Gov. Evans (allegedly) stated.  Again, my $0.02, let the flames begin, hehe...

Rico.

2X.  I've spent to many years advocating the ideas of multi use of public lands, the BRC seems to suggest a much more one sided use.

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#9 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:10 PM

I am not much of a fan.  So while I understand their mission, they tend to be on the opposite side of several issues I care strongly about - such as the sham 'review of national monuments' and slashing the size of existing national monuments in Utah.   This seemed odd to me as both Bears Ears and GSENM provided excellent opportunities for 4WD exploration in some really wild country, and removing their monument status only really opens them up to development, not increased public access.

That being said, I am not really convinced they are much of a concern - they are a small, apparently are having some funding and staffing issues, and their resources appear to be pretty amateurish compared to other organizations.

Edited by rando, 19 December 2019 - 04:13 PM.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:00 PM

I do not support the BRC. I have seen too much of the lasting effects of the results of such activity to ever support more widespread similar uses. In fact, at the risk of annoying some people, to whom I apologize in advance, I support significant reductions is such uses on our public lands.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trails

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users