13 replies to this topic

#1 Lardog

Lardog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:43 PM

Hey all -

first time poster here.  Ready to start upgrading my rig and looking for inspiration/advice from all the been there/done that folks out there.  

Here goes -

2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax paired with 2019 FWC Hawk.  Mostly solo traveler, live in Rockies and spend a lot of time off grid.  Thinking about adding the following:

- Fabfours front bumper with 17500K winch 

- Fox shocks

- leveling kit w/ HD upper arm controls 

- Magnum steps 

Overkill?  What am I missing? 

I don't want to hurt the ride or fuel economy, but I am also looking to build off this in anticipation of an Alaska trip potentially in 2020.

Advice/insight appreciated 

#2 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:36 AM

If you are looking for fuel economy, putting a camper on and adding all the extra weight is counter-productive. :lol:    The aero drag will have an impact on fuel consumption.  The good news is the dirtymax will handle it without too much fuss.  I've got customer's with similar trucks getting 18mpg empty.  I don't think you are going to loose a ton of mileage but you will loose some.  I wouldn't sweat it.  

The winch and bumper are a good idea if you do plan on running solo for sure.  The leveling kit will help offset the rake that it comes with from the factory, but the big winch and iron bumper might just let the front end settle enough that the rake stays.  Only difference is it might be a shade higher on the front. 

Should be a beast for sure though! 

#3 Lardog

Lardog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 04:01 AM

If you are looking for fuel economy, putting a camper on and adding all the extra weight is counter-productive. :lol: The aero drag will have an impact on fuel consumption. The good news is the dirtymax will handle it without too much fuss. I've got customer's with similar trucks getting 18mpg empty. I don't think you are going to loose a ton of mileage but you will loose some. I wouldn't sweat it.

The winch and bumper are a good idea if you do plan on running solo for sure. The leveling kit will help offset the rake that it comes with from the factory, but the big winch and iron bumper might just let the front end settle enough that the rake stays. Only difference is it might be a shade higher on the front.

Should be a beast for sure though!

didnt mean to double reply. Oops. Thanks for input. Excited to upgrade, but a little anxious since they are my new babies. Fuel isn’t to much of a concern - just don’t want to drain Utah of its diesel. Thanks again

#4 Zoomad

Zoomad

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 December 2019 - 04:59 AM

didnt mean to double reply. Oops. Thanks for input. Excited to upgrade, but a little anxious since they are my new babies. Fuel isn’t to much of a concern - just don’t want to drain Utah of its diesel. Thanks again

It's all about perspective.  My K5 and FWC combo gets 12mpg on a good day with half the size of what you got.  Even if you loose 3mpg you still got better mileage than what I can pull with more power and room inside.  I made that compromise so I can take mine in silly tight places where Jeeps play and camp in comfort where my buddies are sleeping in tents.   

#5 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 20 December 2019 - 05:47 AM

Hey all -
first time poster here. Ready to start upgrading my rig and looking for inspiration/advice from all the been there/done that folks out there.

Here goes -

2019 Chevy 3500HD Duramax paired with 2019 FWC Hawk. Mostly solo traveler, live in Rockies and spend a lot of time off grid. Thinking about adding the following:

- Fabfours front bumper with 17500K winch
- Fox shocks
- leveling kit w/ HD upper arm controls
- Magnum steps

Overkill? What am I missing?

I don't want to hurt the ride or fuel economy, but I am also looking to build off this in anticipation of an Alaska trip potentially in 2020.

Advice/insight appreciated

With a current year truck and camper I think you are already upgraded!

#6 Adventurer

Adventurer

Advanced Member

• Gone Traveling
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:27 PM

I'd check the ride heights front and rear first then see if a leveling kit is necessary. I always think of fox as reservoir shocks which are unnecessary on a full size with camper. You're not likely to overheat your stock shocks (you might, but it's rare unless you're a 1%er). You probably dont need 17.5k (based only on your post) so I wouldn't spend the extra money unless there is some other reason.  Maybe a 17.5k winch is on sale or fits the bumper better, or...something. I would put as little weight on the front as possible while still getting a winch.  Remember, when adding weight front or rear you're effectively creating a lever, more weight farther from the center of gravity, which has a significant impact on ride, especially off road.

T'were me, I'd add add the camper and accessories and then take measurements.  I'd only buy new shocks if you need them, understanding that very few shocks allow you to adjust rebound/damping, so almost all shocks are not tuned for the weight of your specific vehicle, and it really doesn't matter.  Also, most reservoir shocks are simply made for a different purpose, for going fast over rough/washboard roads.  You see them on most vehicles because they are cool, not because they are better.  They provide no advantage for on road driving, and little to no advantage for a heavy vehicle being driven slowly off road.  Again, t'were me, I'd buy some good Bilstein or Rancho 9000 shocks.

Edited by Adventurer, 20 December 2019 - 05:18 PM.

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:25 AM

as a Dmax owner who is also thinking of Alaska and Arctic circle, I wonder what your goal is?  Stock shocks are ok, but reservoir shocks are only useful for continual pounding at speed.  Bilstein 5100 are a great upgrade from stock.  If you get a front mount winch, do you also carry an anchor for use when there are no trees around?  

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 December 2019 - 01:51 AM

With a truck that size with a camper I would go with a 17500 lb winch. I had a SmittyBuilt 9500 lb winch on my jeep and it was getting close to its max pulling jeeps and Tacomas out on 4x4 trails, especially if you need to winch up hill. One thing I have learned wheeling by myself is I rarely need to get winched forward, normally I find my self needing to go backwards. 

My 2 cents is get out and use it first. That way you can figure out what you want/need. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:26 PM

We’ll be going to AK and the northern Canadian Provinces in 2020 so maybe we’ll see you on the road!

I have the Ford equivalent and what I’ve done is upgraded the shocks to the Bilstien 5100 with 2” leveling springs on the front. I’m not going to get a winch for this truck.

I’ve also put a Helwig rear sway bar and some Air bags on the rear to level the truck.

I also upgraded the tires to 35” Toyos and have been very happy with them so far.

The last major thing I added was Amp Research power retractable steps. Love them.

https://www.4wheelpa...-BGQD-76154-01A

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:23 PM

I'll just say I love my remote reservoir shocks on my Tundra. I run ADS Racing and they were tuned for my truck and camper, but regardless they are miles better than a stock shock at soaking up the bumps without giving up on long journeys. If traveling 1500+km of the Dempster Hwy round trip isn't what a good shock is made for, then I'm not sure what they are.

I also put  a winch and bumper on my Tundra, haven't had  to use them pull myself out yet, but have helped recover others and as we travel solo a whole lot, I thought it was good insurance policy to have. I'm sure you will, but I'd always recommend a good E-rated AT tire, with a matching spare (and means to jack up your truck)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users