#1 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:02 PM

Glad I drive old stuff

Driving surveillance: What does your car know about you? We hacked a 2017 Chevy to find out. - The Washington Post

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#2 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:15 AM

And I use a dumb fone too. It isn't a PDA, it's a fone and that is all that it is allowed to do!

Thom

Where does that road go?

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:20 AM

...............what a shame to wake up one morning and realize, "My truck just emptied my bank account and went to Vegas."

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 December 2019 - 03:49 AM

I just spent several hours going down rabbit holes researching this. Scary with how much information companies and marketers want to get their hands on. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#5 57Pan

57Pan

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

Internet info. Is the new money industry. Look and how rich all the internet companies are that collect info on everything we do.

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 05:37 PM

I have heard that Toyota has long had wireless data collection on their vehicles for crash data...perhaps to combat lawsuits on accidents.

Just like when TV first come out, the WEB has so much good potential....but it is largely a tool of corporate commerce,

Oh well Merry Christmas anyway.

David Graves

#7 oldhotrod

oldhotrod

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:09 AM

This is just new info on an old story...15 years ago i wrote a newspaper story about what was being collected then. When manufacturers put computers in cars, they also recorded a few seconds of data. When they added the ability to connect, memory increased and more data was recorded...next it will be cameras, the manufacturers will be replacing or enhancing rear and side view mirrors with cameras which will record and can be used against you...

#8 FoxenTec

FoxenTec

• Members
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:11 AM

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana.  Give me my 1973 C/K pickup coming to me..........

Jon

FoxenTec

#9 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:49 PM

...............what a shame to wake up one morning and realize, "My truck just emptied my bank account and went to Vegas."

Thankfully it didn't take your wife (or significant other) as well!

South Carolina Low Country.  

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 23 December 2019 - 02:52 PM

Yep...really missing my 2003 F-250 7.3 that I sold to buy a new 2016 F-350.  The '16 Super Duty just went through a bunch of sensor/network issues that required Ford do perform a "wire overlay".  Which, I think, is a term for replacing bad wires in the harness without opening the harness itself.  Truck is out of warranty.  Ford performed the repair at no cost to me, which leads me to believe they have a known issue that has not triggered a recall.

Edited by Advmoto18, 23 December 2019 - 02:53 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users