11 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:17 PM

I guess it must have seemed like a good idea at the time, or maybe a "Hold my beer" moment.

Man Rescued from Black Rock Desert

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 December 2019 - 03:50 PM

Looks like an expensive lesson. That mud sticks to everything.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#3 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 24 December 2019 - 04:10 PM

I guess it must have seemed like a good idea at the time, or maybe a "Hold my beer" moment.

Man Rescued from Black Rock Desert

I've been there in the winter and was warned not to drive out there if the playa was even just a little dark colored. Indeed, I did see a vehicle that had been abandoned not far from the main road. At least he had a winch-  :wacko: 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#4 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 24 December 2019 - 04:11 PM

More of that sinking feeling you get when you realize "you blew it"!  What is the advise we give everyone-every year-You never-ever drive off road (and sometimes on road) in that country during the wetter  parts of the year-especially by yourself. Hey, Mark BC maybe its time to post your famous "getting unstuck" thread on a road from several  years ago about driving in that county :rolleyes:

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 24 December 2019 - 04:17 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#5 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:26 PM

Those all terrain tires didn't help. He got an early Christmas present (minus the towing bill).

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#6 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 December 2019 - 05:35 PM

As a kid we had a couple debris basins in our neighborhood that we used to ride our bikes on and the older boys rode their dirt bikes on. Unless it was wet. Then none of us would even walk on them. We also learned that even when the top was dry that it was still wet underneath. We didn't ride on it until the 'lacquer-checking' was several inches deep and the boys on the dirt bikes worked their way very cautiously out from the perimeter. And they still occasionally broke thru and got stuck. We locals used to gather and laugh at the estoopidos who thought that just because it was a little muddy on top that they could get their 4WD/Dune Buggy/motorcycle across it. The local off-road recovery guy made a small fortune off of them, and so did the local cops.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 25 December 2019 - 02:23 PM

Just a warning?  Come on.  I speed, I get a ticket.  He broke the law... sure he paid (not sure how much it cost to get him out) but I don't care.  People need to start using their head and not go where you aren't supposed to go.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#8 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:23 PM

Just a warning?  Come on.  I speed, I get a ticket.  He broke the law... sure he paid (not sure how much it cost to get him out) but I don't care.  People need to start using their head and not go where you aren't supposed to go.  

X2. Call me a Grinch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,254 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:57 PM

X3

Call me a grinch too.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 27 December 2019 - 05:08 PM

🤦‍♂️

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users