• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:28 PM

I know this has been discussed before in the past but was hoping we could discuss this one more time at least. I'm needing new camper jacks and I don't like the old system with using a jack for each side. Is there a way to properly lift the camper up by using skid steer forks? How/where would you set your forks? Can I put a strap around it and then lift it with the forks? Or would the strap damage it? My other option is buying 3 cable camper jacks, at least 3 will be a lot better than 2. If I go that route, who make a good jack? 

Thanks for the help,

Joe 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 January 2020 - 11:50 PM

Joe, Brophy here in the Portland area makes a good cable jack.  I bought a pair to remove the canopy from my F350. It’s shaky, but safe once you get the balance point.  Reico and HappiJac make good mechanical jacks.  IIRC, Alaskan used (maybe still does) Reicos that pivoted up when not in use.  I think they used 3.  The mounting flange goes under the camp wings, or at least that’s what I remember.  They have a tripod foot.  If it were me, I’d probably go with the Reicos, but it wouldn’t hurt to call Bryan Wheat at Alaskan and ask for guidance.

https://www.crbrophy.com/coupjack.html

https://www.riecotitan.com/

https://www.etrailer...lBoCtgMQAvD_BwE

I am haunted by waters

#3 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 03:41 AM

Hi Joe

I can think of no way to set or remove the camper on your truck using a forklift.

Do you have the corner mounted jack brackets ?

Are you having difficulty with the jacks ?

I nearly always hit my garage entrance when I back in with the jacks mounted.

David Graves

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:01 AM

X2 on the Brophy cable jacks. I bought the basic ones new from a rental outfit many years ago and they've worked well and still look new. Only thing I did was put a thin sleeve in the base socket to tighten up the fit with the pole in there. That took out the wobble.

On the forklift idea, well, I'd never say never because I've been around some pretty haywire lifts. It's going to depend on the fork length.

I think I've seen a pic of Alaskan or FWC factory moving their campers around with one. If so prob picked up from underneath rather than slung from the top but again, long forks

#5 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 04 January 2020 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the advice! I did call Bryan and he suggested Reicos, he also suggested using 4 jacks instead of 2 or 3  which is by far the safest way. 

I'm having a car hauler deliver an Alaskan to me and I'm not sure how to get it off his trailer. Since it will be on a car hauler trailer which is much wider than a pickup, my camper jacks won't be able to get in close enough to lift it. That was why I was asking about a fork truck but after thinking about it some more, I'm sure that won't work. 

Any ideas on getting it off? If I could lift one side of it and stick conduit under the camper and then roll it towards the end of the trailer until I can get the jacks under might work, but not sure?? Haven't had to experience this one before. 

Edited by JoeKan, 04 January 2020 - 02:52 PM.

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:52 PM

How will they get it on the trailer?  You should be able to reverse that process.  It might be that a fork lift with long forks could come from the side.

I am haunted by waters

#7 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:36 PM

The guy who is going to load it says he used a skid steer with straps. I wasn't  sure about that but he said they've done it before and never had any problems with it. I don't see a single mar or scrape on it from the pictures he's sent me. 

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#8 JoeKan

JoeKan

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 04 January 2020 - 06:52 PM

This is what I'm thinking of getting. What do you all think? The weight is 1000lbs each and the camper weighs around 1800. 

https://www.riecotit...&product_id=208

1972 NCO Alaskan 10'

#9 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 07:17 PM

Those should work. I use 2 sets of cable jacks on each side. Very stable that way. One set works well once you find the true balance point though. Seems scarier that bit it is.

CWDT

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 04 January 2020 - 08:09 PM

Unloading: maybe  lift the camper high enough off the trailer deck to put 2 beams under the floor. These being long enough that they clear the deck sides and can be used with your new camper jacks. Then lift the camper by the beams high enough to clear the trailer wheels if it is a lowboy. Drive the trailer out, lower camper onto blocking or a stand, remove beams, reposition camper jacks and load to pick up as normal.

This is how we load/unload our camper to our flatdeck, using using 3 or 4 bottle jacks under the camper wings to lift off the deck and 8ft beams under the camper floor. You'd prob need 10+ ft. beams and could maybe lift the wings with a forklift, if you have one, and blocking.

Or, unload with fork lift per the carrier either at your place (might need to rent) or arrange to unload at a warehouse that's willing.

I think this is the pic I was thinking of earlier, fwiw and just to give an idea of scale.

Camper022.jpg

Edited by klahanie, 04 January 2020 - 08:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users