Possible Roof Leak

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

Trying to determine if I have a leaking roof, after a rain the inside has a damp ceiling and I get mold. Is this normal? Thinking I should stand inside while someone sprays the roof with a garden hose. hard to pinpoint the leak area since the roof inside is covered. Any ideas on how to pinpoint a leak or is this normal?

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:54 PM

We need more information. What year FWC? Two piece roof or one piece roof? Where are you located? Where do you store your camper?

Edited by longhorn1, 07 January 2020 - 02:38 AM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 10:23 PM

Is this while the camper is just sitting or when driving or both? My leak was when driving and was fixed by refurbishing the rubber seal where the roof lowers down to. If it leaks while sitting, try removing and reinstalling roof screws with a bit of polyurethane sealant. I live in a humid area(Texas gulf coast) and have found that with just temp swings, i get condensation in the camper roof area. I used damp rid for a long time but have found an small fan running 24/7 eliminates the problem. Way cheaper than damp rid also. P.S. You might want to peak behind the ceiling liner to see if it is mildewed

#4 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

I live in the desert, but its been a wet cold winter this year, the 2004 Grandby is stored outside, and the leaks happened with the roof down. I have it up now with a window open along with the roof vent to air out. Thinking the roof seam might be the culprit, but not sure, and would not want to tear apart the roof if possible. Had not thought of the screws being an issue, is that a common leak point?

#5 cwdtmmrs

cwdtmmrs

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:31 PM

I had s couple of screws leak and was surprised at how much water got in over a few days of on and off rain. 

CWDT

#6 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 07 January 2020 - 06:36 PM

I live in the desert, but its been a wet cold winter this year, the 2004 Grandby is stored outside, and the leaks happened with the roof down. I have it up now with a window open along with the roof vent to air out. Thinking the roof seam might be the culprit, but not sure, and would not want to tear apart the roof if possible. Had not thought of the screws being an issue, is that a common leak point?

If your 2004 Grandby is like my 2001 Hawk, your roof may be more susceptible to leaks at the roof-trim seam than later FWC campers.  At the time mine was built, FWC wasn't yet installing a butyl seal behind the trim. More info here.  I"m not sure when they started including the butyl tape so that may or may not apply to your 2004 camper.

I had a roof leak at the driver's-side front corner in 2015.  As I inspected the roof closely, I noticed some of the silicone sealant wasn't tight. I used a small hooked tool to manipulate the sealant.  In many cases,  I could push the sealant away from the metal and the sides of the sealant were dirty or green, indicating water was getting by. 

I fixed it by digging out the sealant using that hooked tool the whole way around the roof-edge.  I cleaned out the seam with rubbing alcohol, trying to be careful to get it very clean for maximum adhesion.  I then put down masking tape along the edges of the seam and applied a silicone supreme caulk with a 50% joint movement capability and pulled up the tape before it had a chance to set.  You may prefer to use a more conventional RV or marine sealant.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#7 Kolockum

Kolockum

Still Wandering

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:12 PM

If your 2004 Grandby is like my 2001 Hawk, your roof may be more susceptible to leaks at the roof-trim seam than later FWC campers.  At the time mine was built, FWC wasn't yet installing a butyl seal behind the trim. More info here.  I"m not sure when they started including the butyl tape so that may or may not apply to your 2004 camper.

I have this problem on my 2000 Eagle and it only happens when the camper is sitting. While it does not leak through the roof the water will run down the outside of the canvas, and if the top is closed, will pool up in the fold of the canvas eventually working its way into the camper through the window Velcro, stitch holes or other holes in the canvas. I pulled the trim off and used the wrong sealant to try to waterproof the gap. Didn't work and now I need to pull the trim and use butyl tape. Actually working on the project as we speak.

My other leaks stopped when I replaced all the roof screws with the next size larger screws and used Sitka Flex to seal them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2017 Toyota Tacoma with 2000 FWC Eagle

"The nut behind the wheel is the most important one. Don't forget to snug yourself up every once in a while." John D & ri-f

#8 Dirt Rider

Dirt Rider

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:40 PM

Sounds like I have some work to do, but much appreciate the guidance, will give the screws and trim a look see this week.

#9 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 January 2020 - 12:59 AM

I had a similar experience as Old Crow. After many, many trouble free years I had a leak and traced it to the same edge flashing. I believe our camper was built with the vinyl placed between the turned down roof material and that edge flashing. I think this (older ?) design was mentioned on here before. Anyway, a short length of the sealant caulking was loose so I removed it and resealed. Problem solved.

Couple years later I noticed another leak that I couldn't track down. By this time the camper was at least 15 years old and I had never touched the roof other than that one repair so rather than fiddle I went nuclear and coated the whole roof with an elastomeric coating. This type of treatment has also been mentioned here on WTW. Since then I've recoated it once or twice after about 2 years interval and all is good.

Just another option ...

http://www.wanderthe..._1377_11490.jpg

http://www.wanderthe..._1377_34326.jpg

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 08 January 2020 - 01:03 AM

While it does not leak through the roof the water will run down the outside of the canvas, and if the top is closed, will pool up in the fold of the canvas eventually working its way into the camper through the window Velcro, stitch holes or other holes in the canvas.

Thanks for posting. I've suspected the same about water seeping through the stitching except in my case the source is when driving in heavy rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users